The Falkirk FC Thread

I don't actually think we were poor at Dunfermline (farcical goalkeeping excepted).

I never really felt that we would get back into it tbh, and I thought Pars had control and were holding back once they were two in front. We were not terrible but not too good either.

Even if you ignore that game our results go from one extreme to the other!

I definitely think we are better but I would not want to assume that we are about to cruise away from Dumbarton as I think they know what it takes to survive in this division.

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I never really felt that we would get back into it tbh, and I thought Pars had control and were holding back once they were two in front. We were not terrible but not too good either.

Even if you ignore that game our results go from one extreme to the other!

I definitely think we are better but I would not want to assume that we are about to cruise away from Dumbarton as I think they know what it takes to survive in this division.

The Pars keeper was man of the match.

I don't think anyone expects us to "cruise away from Dumbarton" but we are in a far stronger place than we were and should have enough to finish above them.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

I don' think anyone expects us to "cruise away from Dumbarton" but we are in a far stronger place than we were and should have enough to finish above them.

It really depends on us but we might need 40 plus points, so if we win the double header with Brechin and beat Dumbarton at home I will feel a lot more comfortable.

I am not pessimistic here, I have really enjoyed watching players such as Longridge, and Sibbald take control of games but I would just urge a bit of caution.

After all, Falkirk....expect the unexpected!

I don' think anyone expects us to "cruise away from Dumbarton" but we are in a far stronger place than we were and should have enough to finish above them.

Honestly, much as I hate to say it, I think Cardle was really man of the match that day...

On 15/01/2018 at 18:21, Bairnardo said:

Genuinely will be a long time before I stop getting a chuckle at the way he decked Mvoto when the big lad when in looking to make his mark. 

7 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Dishing out the telts this season is our Sibbs.  First M'votu then Harkins. 

That's some strong grasping of straws, good effort.

Guest Back Post Misses

It really depends on us but we might need 40 plus points, so if we win the double header with Brechin and beat Dumbarton at home I will feel a lot more comfortable.

I am not pessimistic here, I have really enjoyed watching players such as Longridge, and Sibbald take control of games but I would just urge a bit of caution.

After all, Falkirk....expect the unexpected!

40% of our remaining games are against Brechin, Dumbarton and Dunfermline. We will be fucking mugs if that doesn’t give us enough points to stay
up.

40% of our remaining games are against Brechin, Dumbarton and Dunfermline. We will be fucking mugs if that doesn’t give us enough points to stay
up.

I guess the only issue with your point, is we have yet to beat any of them yet.

However, assuming we do - and we should - then we should be ok.

Guest Back Post Misses

I guess the only issue with your point, is we have yet to beat any of them yet.

However, assuming we do - and we should - then we should be ok.

We are mugs if we don’t stay up now and deserve to go down with those games left

43 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

That's some strong grasping of straws, good effort.

Nae fear

The pars escape relegation another year

We didnae overspend

A lesson maybe learned

We can beat the bairns fair

Wiout money that wisnae there

Freddie Boswell

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Why do people still doubt Dumbarton, after all these years? They always stay up and haven't even needed to use the play-offs to survive since they were promoted back in 2012.

They always have bad results and they get written off - then they pick up a surprise win. It's just what they do.

Fair point on previous seasons but I think Dumbarton are  struggling more over the last couple of months than they have previously, I think they need a bit of a turnaround, as it stands they have only won 2 games in 2 months or something crazy. We've gained 6 points on them between December and January so they will need to improve pretty significantly to keep their head above water if we can maintain even our current totally inconsistent form never mind get better as we hope that we will.

With respect to Brechin, the current gap between ourselves & Morton/Inverness is false because we've only played the bottom side once. The Greenock mob having played them twice & Sneckie 3 times. I don't think there will be much in it by the end of February.

Hope your right. I’d take an eighth place finish right now after the shit storm of a season we’ve endured. If we get any higher it’s a bonus imho.

Footballs mental.

39 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Hope your right. I’d take an eighth place finish right now after the shit storm of a season we’ve endured. If we get any higher it’s a bonus imho.

Footballs mental.

A nice cup run and an 8th place finish will do me.

Assuming Hartley will stick with the 3-5-2, that leaves us a squad of

Goalkeepers: Robbie Thomson, Robbie Mutch, David Mitchell*

Defenders: Peter Grant, Jordan McGhee, Aaron Muirhead, Paul Watson

Wing-Backs: Reghan Tumilty, Tommy Robson, Tony Gallacher

Midfielders: Tom Taiwo, Craig Sibbald, Lewis Kidd, Ryan Blair, Sean Welsh, Joe McKee, Cieran Dunne, Alex Harris, Mark Kerr

Forwards: Louis Longridge, Andrew Nelson, Alex Jakubiak, Myles Hippolyte, Rory Loy, Kevin O'Hara

* - Presumably out for most of if not the remainder of the season

That's a squad of 25 which is reportedly a lot bigger than Hartley wants, so I think there are more cuts to come. In particular I think we have far too many central midfielders in there. Don't need nine guys for three jerseys, especially when Lewis Kidd's recent form is keeping "glamour signing" Ryan Blair out the team. Kerr should absolutely be punted, no doubt about that. If we can find a way to get rid of Alex Harris then we'll take it but I'd imagine he's content to sit in the reserves and collect his wage.

Cieran Dunne for me would benefit from a loan spell. He's more of a winger anyway so doesn't fit into the 3-5-2 (Unless perhaps Hartley fancies him as a wingback which is a possibility in itself given we're short on cover and Gallacher could be away) but he's one for the future so I'd punt him out on loan to get some first team experience. McKee would also possibly benefit from going on loan. I remain convinced there is a player in there and would like him kept on the books for next season but for now he's several injuries away from getting a game.

Tony Gallacher not even getting on the bench and am genuinely not sure whether it's because our coaches know he's an impostor, or an English Premier League club are on the verge of signing him for a substantial fee. I've genuinely never seen a guy be so highly rated by football guys yet all the fans think he's complete pish.

Which brings me to the elephant in the room that is Rory Loy (no pun intended). It's probably a good sign from the attitude point of view that he's worked his way back into the conversation in recent weeks whereas Miller and Kerr were completely frozen out. I'd like him to stay, however you can split our strikers into the true centre forward types of Nelson/Jakubiak/Loy and then you've got Longridge/Hippolyte/O'Hara as the smaller quicker guys playing just off. Hartley seems to like one of each so Loy won't be getting much of a game unless Nelson and Jakubiak get injured. Having said that Nelson hasn't been prolific yet and Jakubiak could be complete pish for all we know so I think we should hang on to Loy.

In terms of new signings I still want a keeper if Mitchell isn't close to returning. If there's any more money left maybe a utility man that can play wing back. We're short on cover behind Tumilty and Robson, and I'm also concerned that we play three centre halves every week but only have four in the squad.

Heard the lad Hamilton from Hearts mentioned as a possibility a few weeks back but I’m not sure if that’s still the case or not

According to reports he does not want to go out on loan, preferring to stay at Hearts and fight for a first team place.