The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Back Post Misses
Just so we're clear here, Falkirk FC are not the owners or exclusive funders of Forth Valley Academy, though I accept whatever Stenhousemuir and East Stirling throw in the pot may be trivial. Nor has a decision as yet been taken to close Forth Valley and shut down the programme. If Falkirk were the major funders then there are undeniable ramifications but the Academy may well continue on vastly reduced funds. It will be partly financed by the SFA as all Club Academy programmes are. I don't know how many paid employees it actually has (ours for instance has none at all and all the coaches are volunteers) and there may be a requirement to scale down but unless they actually want to it probably won't close.
Does it use Falkirk Stadium for training or do they train elsewhere? If they do use Falkirk then perhaps the club would continue to allow that usage meaning at least the Academy would have no further pitch hire costs. Don't know if they already use Ochilview instead or if there might be time slots to use it if they don't.
Still, it's a significant development for both the club and the Scottish game in general. It's less than a month since Forth Valley was confirmed as one of the second tier "Progressive" academies in the Prokect Brave blueprint. It seems unlikely it will be able to fulfil that level of commitment now which will be pretty embarrassing for the SFA too.

Falkirk are the only financial contributor to FVA.

All 93 players are registered to Falkirk FC.

Stenhousemuir’s contribution is the free use of Ochilview when required.

The Shire do not contribute other than Board representation of FVA.

If Falkirk do not want a player at 17, Stenhousemuir have the first option then the Shire.

For those who think this is going to mean loads more in the budget as going to be sadly let down.

We are losing a bucket of cash and the 120k we spend on this won’t be invested in the first team.

The bit people forget when we had a team of good Academy players was we spent a shed load less on our first team budget as they were so young and paid less.

On the bare numbers this looks the right thing to do however with our track record I am not sure i trust is getting this Project Brentford right either. That is the key to it for me.

The communication of this has been disgraceful and the Laing attempt to try and rescue the club’s face has just not helped IMO. Rambling of the Henderson proportions

18 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Falkirk are the only financial contributor to FVA.

Well no, as I said earlier, even if the other clubs contribute nothing, the SFA will provide funding for it. Clearly not enough to continue to operate on current levels with (I presume) paid staff, but potentially the players could all switch to Stenhousemuir (for instance) and continue to be funded by the SFA to some extent. I accept there may be significant hurdles to be overcome for Licensing as I don't know what elements of the off field requirements were being provided by Falkirk and would now need to come from elsewhere (basic admin, registration, disclosures, etc).

This may well be the end for FVA, I don't know enough about it to say otherwise. I'm merely noting that Falkirk saying that they are no longer funding it doesn't necessarily lock the doors directly if they can operate on lower costs or find alternative (grant) funding or something.

Guest Back Post Misses
Well no, as I said earlier, even if the other clubs contribute nothing, the SFA will provide funding for it. Clearly not enough to continue to operate on current levels with (I presume) paid staff, but potentially the players could all switch to Stenhousemuir (for instance) and continue to be funded by the SFA to some extent. I accept there may be significant hurdles to be overcome for Licensing as I don't know what elements of the off field requirements were being provided by Falkirk and would now need to come from elsewhere (basic admin, registration, disclosures, etc).
This may well be the end for FVA, I don't know enough about it to say otherwise. I'm merely noting that Falkirk saying that they are no longer funding it doesn't necessarily lock the doors directly if they can operate on lower costs or find alternative (grant) funding or something.

Sorry FFC contribute just under half with the SFA the rest. I thought you meant other clubs

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Another forum no mark creeping into the Falkirk thread trying to troll and getting absolutely scudded about.

My favourite thing about this season.

Now Chinatoon Bairn and myself are finished with you, so if you wouldnt mind fucking off....

Job here is done. Almost as easy as taking money from Hamilton. Another emphatic win for the Bairns.

Let me offer another view on this which I admit has a degree of personal agenda in writing but...........my grandson has played Kids footie since the age of 3 and is now 10 and as a result I have spent the last 7 years watching a lot of what has been going on locally. To sum up a biased perspective on the Forth Valley Academy  I have the distinct impression that it has bred an elitist culture based on cherry picking from the various boys clubs in the area but with particular focus on a couple of "special" feeder clubs. I have noticed first hand  some inflated egos amongst the boys themselves & sadly some posturing amongst parents.
In truth I have always questioned the validity of taking 10 and 11 year olds  out of the normal set up to create the super team status given that they are the best part of at least 6 years away from the potential of a professional career in football.
To that end whilst it might be unfortunate if the chronology of communication has gone awry I salute Margaret and Craig for both their courage and foresight in taking a stand here for the betterment of FFC .

Think you are being too generous suggesting this decision the result of courage & foresight.

It is a decision purely as a result of ineptitude and incompetence over a sustained period.

What they have opted for in my opinion, was more out of what they perceive necessity, rather than a careful and well thought out strategic vision.

Time will tell if by luck rather than judgement we’ve stumbled across a formula for success.

For me I would have thought history had shown us that giving players meaningful game time is the way forward. That player pathway has been closed recently but no need to completely rip it up, just modify what worked previously.

7 minutes ago, ANEWHOPE said:

Think you are being too generous suggesting this decision the result of courage & foresight.

It is a decision purely as a result of ineptitude and incompetence over a sustained period.

What they have opted for in my opinion, was more out of what they perceive necessity, rather than a careful and well thought out strategic vision.

Time will tell if by luck rather than judgement we’ve stumbled across a formula for success.

For me I would have thought history had shown us that giving players meaningful game time is the way forward. That player pathway has been closed recently but no need to completely rip it up, just modify what worked previously.

The club statement has the same thoughts of "Our Time" replaced with "Towards the Premiership"

No guarantees in football , the moneyball effect that Brentford approached after their most successful season for many a year or ever, did have a hint of relegation worry about it. They are punching above their weight now which is probably where the boards  vision for us but being in Scotland we are currently fighting below our weight in where we have focused on the first team for the whole of Houston's tenure

Its been bad management from the board to allow us to piss money down the drain re development costs for years when our manager fails to promote within but allows him to pay money for some players and have us have two players in every position. I am sure some of our youth players may have stepped up as they have in the past

I have no qualms with giving up the development side of things if its for the greater good but the development side of things have kept us afloat for near enough season on season in recent years. The whole downfall of the development has been under the Houston tenure, Id only credit him with bleeding in Biabi with 9 league starts.

Time will tell if  "Towards the Premiership" is as successful as our time........poor management all around, both the decision and how the news broke

The club statement has the same thoughts of "Our Time" replaced with "Towards the Premiership"
No guarantees in football , the moneyball effect that Brentford approached after their most successful season for many a year or ever, did have a hint of relegation worry about it. They are punching above their weight now which is probably where the boards  vision for us but being in Scotland we are currently fighting below our weight in where we have focused on the first team for the whole of Houston's tenure
Its been bad management from the board to allow us to piss money down the drain re development costs for years when our manager fails to promote within but allows him to pay money for some players and have us have two players in every position. I am sure some of our youth players may have stepped up as they have in the past
I have no qualms with giving up the development side of things if its for the greater good but the development side of things have kept us afloat for near enough season on season in recent years. The whole downfall of the development has been under the Houston tenure, Id only credit him with bleeding in Biabi with 9 league starts.
Time will tell if  "Towards the Premiership" is as successful as our time........poor management all around, both the decision and how the news broke

[emoji122]

I tried to defend the Falkirk pitch because David Tanner had a go at it as part of a general rant about today's announcement. He told me to calm my tone and told me off. I feel shame because he knows so much about Scottish football and is a fountain of knowledge. 

48 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres a Tanner-watch thread where you can further air your grievances.

What does that arsewipe do for a living now that Hayley McQueen took his job?

Not entirely sure, some presenting of corporate type awards ceremonies and the like. He was trying to argue the point that the Falkirk pitch has held the club back and that a grass pitch would yield better on-field results and that it may have even meant you would have gained promotion as a direct result. He tried to claim that statistics show that teams with artificial surfaces have better away records and yet couldn't provide a link or source to these stats.