The Falkirk FC Thread

At the end of the day its another result of bad management off and on the park over the past ten years or so.  If we hadnt been forced to flog our best young talent to the first half decent bidder due to our financial constraints we would've quite possibly been promoted by now . Now that the bod have squeezed the academy dry their ditching it basically when only a few months ago when asked that direct question at the meet the manager event this was categorically denied.  There would be hee haw wrong with our strategy either if we had employed a decent manager and signed some decent players instead of haddies like Harris.  We have the second biggest budget in the league this season and as DU have not really been great shakes promotion could've  been a distinct possibility if recruitment had been far better.  You can throw as much money as you want at a team but if your employing the wrong manager and players it means feck all. Just look at DU last season and Hibs the year before for instance.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Its the clubs f**k up. No one but the club. Relevant parties should have been kept informed long before any reporter.

He's doing his job. His loyalty first and foremost has to be to his job, which pays his bills. Our BOD  is the inherent problem here. 

Yep they are totally correct points.

Complete shitfest going on just now. Scarily similar circumances to ourselves, on the park last season and off the park near the end of Gilmour's reign.

The most cost effective way for teams at this level to build a squad of players they can sell on is by taking players from lower levels or whom have been rejected higher up and developing them. Our title winning squad was full of players from 2nd and 3rd division, junior clubs and guys released from SPL youth setups. Infact as far as I know, only Stuart Bannigan came through the youth system and we got him well into his teens as he was actually at Celtic first.

It's costs a fortune to run these systems for often little return in the lower divisions. The media won't let that get in the way of a good Armageddon story though.

Edited by Snakebite

Great statement from Laing and a good decision by the club. Sibbald aside, how many of our best players in the last 3-5 years have come through this system? Timing is unfortunate and the Record shouldn't have been the source to reveal it, but it is absolutely the correct way for us to go.

Maybe I'm callous but all the sob stories about little Billy not having a team to play under-9s for on a Saturday morning don't really bother me. Just win on a Saturday at 3pm and the rest will follow.

My brothers partners son plays for the u16's/17s and they were only given their latest individual progress reports a couple of weeks ago and now the whole things down the tubes.  Even with George craig well gone we still never seem to be able to do things the right way and instead turn them into a shambles.

17 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Great statement from Laing and a good decision by the club. Sibbald aside, how many of our best players in the last 3-5 years have come through this system? Timing is unfortunate and the Record shouldn't have been the source to reveal it, but it is absolutely the correct way for us to go.

Maybe I'm callous but all the sob stories about little Billy not having a team to play under-9s for on a Saturday morning don't really bother me. Just win on a Saturday at 3pm and the rest will follow.

100% this. Took the words out of my mouth. A quick glance at the Facebook comments about breakin the news to a child with hopes and dreams etc which are now in tatters is unfortunate but necessary. If your wean is that good he or she will find another club and follow their 'dreams' putting your child at that age under illusions of success is what is wrong with this program in the first place. Make the club all about the 1st team first and foremost and if this pays off and down the line we may have the luxury of being a comfortable, sustainable side in the premier league then dabble in the thought of an academy. Right now it is not needed and not the answer. 

There's a lot of ways to look at this. The route FFC are taking is understandable financially in the short-term, but the fact that so many of their products are playing at higher levels in the British game ,this decision would be making me uneasy if it were my club. We embraced the Falkirk/Hamilton/Ross Co Academy sort of thing by having our own separate training ground and facilities and are reaping the benefits more than we've ever done. That said , we would have been relegated last season if we hadn't brought in almost a full team of experience in an attempt to keep us up. Financially, though , the Academy products have been our long-term saviour , so it's difficult to see where Falkirk are going to generate the same cash as before !

3 minutes ago, billyg said:

The route FFC are taking is understandable financially in the short-term, but the fact that so many of their products are playing at higher levels in the British game ,this decision would be making me uneasy if it were my club. 

Which players?

Which players?

Airfield and Kingsley. That’s all.

Murray Wallace at Scunthorpe but he joined from rangers and was sold a year later so wouldn’t even count him as an academy player.

All for this, time to focus on Falkirk and not everyone else.

11 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Some valid points but I would say that there were no realistic first team prospects for Houston to play.

You dont know till you make an effort to play them, many of our players who have went on to better things didnt come in and be brilliant from day one, getting a game in the challenge cup or a rare sub appearance once in a blue moon isnt gonna tell you if they are good enough. Houston only used the development players when his hands were tied in that the experienced player he brought in were shite. The development players Houston did use due to his hands tied, probably played the least amount of games any of our previous players sold had made, I can only think of two players that Houston dipped into the first team in Biabi and Blair.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

At the end of the day its another result of bad management off and on the park over the past ten years or so.  If we hadnt been forced to flog our best young talent to the first half decent bidder due to our financial constraints we would've quite possibly been promoted by now . Now that the bod have squeezed the academy dry their ditching it basically when only a few months ago when asked that direct question at the meet the manager event this was categorically denied.  There would be hee haw wrong with our strategy either if we had employed a decent manager and signed some decent players instead of haddies like Harris.  We have the second biggest budget in the league this season and as DU have not really been great shakes promotion could've  been a distinct possibility if recruitment had been far better.  You can throw as much money as you want at a team but if your employing the wrong manager and players it means feck all. Just look at DU last season and Hibs the year before for instance.

The same applies to a manager who promotes youth, in Houston we didnt have that, Hartley comes in and within weeks he places a player no one really knew about on the bench and had no qualms bringing him on then starting him. No way Houston wouldve done that, a wee game in the challenge cup that promotes youth.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Who has been our manager in those 3-5 year ?

If Houston was in charge when Sibbald came through, he would not be at the club now and not because of bigger things, he wouldnt have got a sniff of first team

Edited by MrDust