The Falkirk FC Thread

I'd guess our budget has changed in wage structure, the days of Taylor and Farid it was as Elvis put it 3 or 4 luxury players on a bigger wage than the rest to compliment the team, the likes of McGovern, Taylor, Farid, Dodd and Haworth surrounded by academy players.

We had one academy player starting v Morton recently, back previously we would've had 6 or 7.

my English team is tranmere, I was a fan of Fon Williams goalkeeper, now at Inverness, I'd commented on that I think he could do a job with us on one of the forums I visit, out of interest what sort of wage do you think he was on ? Was my question, the rough estimate was £1500 for league 2 in England...

I was also going to go to the recent Gateshead away game(Tranmere non league now) a Gateshead season ticket is more expensive than ours.

The transfer market on a whole is fecked in Scotland, everyone in Scotland is a selling club and the majority of the players are regurgitated from club to club, yep there is hidden gems outside the usual, finding them and then them wanting to come with our wage structure will also be the hard part thereafter.

It's not like playing football manager on a pc unfortunately

You are right. It is not as easy as many seem to think

Having heard how much a striker at Hibs is on we just can't compete with some of the wages going about.

If someone offered me 4th this season I would take it the now.

Next summer is going to be a big one with most players out of contract.

Let's hear it then?

Latapy? Tosh was outstanding for the 6 months we had him in McCall's team

You are rattling off players who we just can't afford now or refuse to pay for FFS. I really wish fans would get their collective heads around we will not get any quality from the South unless we stump up the cash. Cheap players from abroad looking for a stepping stone will go to English lower leagues as they are paying 4 times + what we will offer.

It is easy for us all to say go and get players from England having no knowledge of either what we are prepared to pay of what we have to pay. Players will get more in the conference in England than with us.

Stevie Tosh was a while ago, maybe I'm being revisionist here but I thought he wasn't interested for most of his games for us. Played well for the first couple of games and then looked like he couldn't be bothered, to top it off once he left he was mouthing off in the press that we had lied to all our players about getting promoted and all our players contracts should be ripped up, the man was a tool for us.

I really hope Bejizm is actually a hardcore Dunfermline fan deep in behind enemy lines, finding out all the history of Falkirk and trolling us all from within. Well played if that's the case, sterling job!!!

If not then he is probably the worst Falkirk poster I have come across. Again, well played!

Behave yourself!

He dose play. He's a first team player and also hardly plays up front.

He's played around 50 games in 4 years going by Wiki and I would imagine most are as a sub.

Its a fact Hibs can pay more wages than us and this is why we missed out on keatings.

Another player we were after.

Not for Hibs but for Falkirk it is.

We know we can't compete with Rangers and Hibs but we should be able to compete with every other team in the league inc. St Mirren, they will still have players on premier league salaries so they HAVE and will have to continue downsizing to face life in the championship Edited by bejazz1

He's played around 50 games in 4 years going by Wiki and I would imagine most are as a sub.

Its a fact Hibs can pay more wages than us and this is why we missed out on keatings.

Another player we were after.

65 appearances(33 sub) most of them over the last 2 seasons and not as a striker. I agree with most of what you've said just not the bit about us paying £900 percent for a player that doesn't play. If that figure is even correct.

But you have accepted it.

Mediocrity ?

I've accepted - as explained earlier in the thread - that we are at about our level.

Hearts won the league last season with a first team budget 6th the size of Sevco (Ann Budges words not mine) yet we just accept because Hibs have a budget maybe three times ours we just don't bother?

Of course Falkirk will bother, all the clubs will bother, but you have to be a realist and accept that even rolling out the cheque book will probably still see us in the Championship next season - albiet with less money in the bank.

It can be done with less resource. Every season teams with smaller budgets finish above those who have spent more heavily.

Of course, but as I've also already said without chucking resources at the issue the signings that are made have to be absolutely spot on - time will tell on Houston's signings but I personlly have no issue with any of them at the moment. Sounds like we've missed out on more capable players because of finances but that takes us back to the previous point.

What you need to have is drive, ambition, leadership and a club that gets everyone to pull together.

NSS

What happens if Hibs don't go up again? Dunfermilne won't sit about. What if Kilmarnock come down? Do we just roll out your last paragraph again? Surely football has to be about trying to be the best you can be? What is the point otherwise?

I'd like to see us push the boat out a bit next season, even if Hibs are still in the Championship, I think playing it 'safe' next season would see a reaction from the majority of punters and not just the knicker-wetters.

Will be a lot easier to do of course if we don't spunk all our cash this season.

Are we going to get that with Houston? Doubtful. Are we going to get that with our current Board of Directors? Recent history says absolutely not. Our drive and pragmatism about what Falkirk FC is all about died sadly when Campbell Christie passed. The rest of them (I will absolve the recent addition, Margaret Laing and Wee Ronnie) don't give two hoots if we stagnate in this league for ever and will enjoy patting themselves on the back with the odd good cup run.

I certainly don't envy them their position, must be difficult managing the books and peoples expectations - long term though the job is about keeping the club on a sound financial footing and they certainly appear to be doing that - I personally would be concerned, and more critical, if we were splashing the cash this season.

The fans of the club created such a great feeling in May. If we had ambition to really harness that goodwill and opportunity we would have been all over it from the final whistle.

Let's not underestimate what part the club played in fuelling that great feeling. As for harnessing that goodwill then, again, personally I don't see that they've done that much wrong - I know that they missed out on a couple of key-ring sales by not opening the shop on the Monday after the Cup Final and they somehow didn't foresee that they'd sell more jerseys in one day than they did for all of last season - idiots! (Really nice jerseys BTW, perhaps the nicest since 91 !?)

I guess they should have punted the manager that got us to that Final then appointed one of the outstanding out-of-work managers that were available for peanuts and given him a big budget in order to compete with two clubs with more financial clout than us - as well as opening the shop on the Monday.

Edited by Ned Nederlander