The Falkirk FC Thread

Rivals or not it's depressing to see Falkirk fans just giving up and accepting mid-table mediocrity. Do you need us back in the league so you have something to look forward to?

Absolutely, we've had nothing to look forward to since your lots slump into obscurity.

Rivals or not it's depressing to see Falkirk fans just giving up and accepting mid-table mediocrity. Do you need us back in the league so you have something to look forward to?

Aye the extra 12 points a season.

I'm the half glass/bottle full type of guy...

Please tell me in modern football in Scotland post latapy where a maverick as such has helped a manager to the effect of a latapty or even close...

I can't even think of a maverick in Scottish football post latapy

I've actually had a look at Housties signing record at dufc today and I've got to say it mirrors how it is here... Journeymen and Scottish players coming back from England...

The thing is, the one manager at clubs our level and a wee bit above in Jefferies has failed in recent times coz he hasn't had budget to entice players from England like he used to an latterly foreign paths.

There really is a much of a muchness bar rangers and hibs, tho hibs will hibs it

Finding a hidden gem could make 5 or 6 of the clubs in our league do better than they should... It's similar in the top league..... Look for Inverness being bottom 6 this season

Whilst Latapy might be an extreme example, Guys Like Farid ( 3 years ago version) Taylor and even Loy scored around 20 goals and made a difference to the team.

These guys weren't signed from Scottish clubs - Now you and others will point out, Farid's Agent was a pal with Elvis, Lyle Taylor was spotted by Ross Wilson etc..... But thats how life works; friends and former colleagues will help you, give advice etc... Houston was a scout at Celtic if he didn't make any contacts outwith Scotland he should not be position.

I think with a fit Farid or a Lyle Taylor we finish 3rd and possibly push Hibs for 2nd

We have a proven track record of players moving from us to go down south and furthering their career or bank balance. If Houston cannot sell this to young players from England or even further afield, then again he must be removed from post.

In the past 20-30 years all our best players in our best teams were almost signed from outwith Scotland. From Tommy McQueen, Alex Taylor, Simon Stainrod, Peak Kevin McAllister ( his return from Chelsea), Cadette, even Bloody Yogi! Joe Mclaughlin need I go on?

We are at our worst signing Scottish from slightly bigger Scotish clubs , McNamara, Wayne Foster, Brian Hamilton, Tortolano, David Hagen etc....

Houston needs to look further than Scotland, there are no bargains here!

Whilst Latapy might be an extreme example, Guys Like Farid ( 3 years ago version) Taylor and even Loy scored around 20 goals and made a difference to the team.

These guys weren't signed from Scottish clubs - Now you and others will point out, Farid's Agent was a pal with Elvis, Lyle Taylor was spotted by Ross Wilson etc..... But thats how life works; friends and former colleagues will help you, give advice etc... Houston was a scout at Celtic if he didn't make any contacts outwith Scotland he should not be position.

I think with a fit Farid or a Lyle Taylor we finish 3rd and possibly push Hibs for 2nd

We have a proven track record of players moving from us to go down south and furthering their career or bank balance. If Houston cannot sell this to young players from England or even further afield, then again he must be removed from post.

In the past 20-30 years all our best players in our best teams were almost signed from outwith Scotland. From Tommy McQueen, Alex Taylor, Simon Stainrod, Peak Kevin McAllister ( his return from Chelsea), Cadette, even Bloody Yogi! Joe Mclaughlin need I go on?

We are at our worst signing Scottish from slightly bigger Scotish clubs , McNamara, Wayne Foster, Brian Hamilton, Tortolano, David Hagen etc....

David Hagen? Are you mad?

Was it no 7

****stand corrected.... I wasn't there....but it was when around 7 or so players were told their contracts weren't being renewed

Think the game was around the time when the players were on half wages and when the "Behind the Wall" campaign was ongoing, I was at the game and if my mind serves me correctly we had about 40 fans down that night!! depressing.

Think the game was around the time when the players were on half wages and when the "Behind the Wall" campaign was ongoing, I was at the game and if my mind serves me correctly we had about 40 fans down that night!! depressing.

Nope, it was definitely 7 + players getting told no contract for next season and we went with the Ian morris, lee milller, Ricky waddell etc from youths following season

I really hope Bejizm is actually a hardcore Dunfermline fan deep in behind enemy lines, finding out all the history of Falkirk and trolling us all from within. Well played if that's the case, sterling job!!!

If not then he is probably the worst Falkirk poster I have come across. Again, well played!

Edited by Believe The Hype

He is looking down south. I believe if we do get another striker in it will be from England.

The English market however in the last two years has become too expensive. League two sides are paying 3k/week!

Top clubs down there are not going to send their best talent to play in the Scottish Championship to a side playing in front of 3000 training on plastic every day. If we got the the Premiership it would possibly change.

I give you Latapy, Moss, McQuilken, Tosh, Hagi, McGovern, Duffy, .................

Utterly nonsense argument.

Not one you mention was signed this millennium !!

Steve Tosh!!! FFS!

If he's amongst your best I'll go for Aafjes, Higdon, Taylor, Higginbotom, Krul, Stokes, Schmeichel, Riera, Andy Thompson, Steven Thomson and the list goes on.... all signed form out with Scotland and would play in our current team in a heartbeat.

Steve Tosh!!! FFS!

If he's amongst your best I'll go for Aafjes, Higdon, Taylor, Higginbotom, Krul, Stokes, Schmeichel, Riera, Andy Thompson, Steven Thomson and the list goes on.... all signed form out with Scotland and would play in our current team in a heartbeat.

Latapy? Tosh was outstanding for the 6 months we had him in McCall's team

You are rattling off players who we just can't afford now or refuse to pay for FFS. I really wish fans would get their collective heads around we will not get any quality from the South unless we stump up the cash. Cheap players from abroad looking for a stepping stone will go to English lower leagues as they are paying 4 times + what we will offer.

It is easy for us all to say go and get players from England having no knowledge of either what we are prepared to pay of what we have to pay. Players will get more in the conference in England than with us.

Edited by Back Post Misses

Having heard how much a striker at Hibs is on we just can't compete with some of the wages going about.

If someone offered me 4th this season I would take it the now.

Next summer is going to be a big one with most players out of contract.

How much was Farid, Taylor and Loy etc. on when they were with us? Absolute nonsense if you think we aren't paying that now

There are players out there desperate to prove themselves, especially players down south who ultimately will not make the grade.

Unfortunately for us, we haven't looked hard enough over the last 12 months

Why did Taylor and Farid come here? They have financial fair play in the English leagues.

As for the conference, I'm sure there are a few big earners but http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32018669

Also the cost of living is much lower to many clubs down south.

Why did Taylor and Farid come here? They have financial fair play in the English leagues.

As for the conference, I'm sure there are a few big earners but http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32018669

You know what that will be more or very similar than our average

Work it out

34 players, 600k budget.

How much was Farid, Taylor and Loy etc. on when they were with us? Absolute nonsense if you think we aren't paying that now

There are players out there desperate to prove themselves, especially players down south who ultimately will not make the grade.

Unfortunately for us, we haven't looked hard enough over the last 12 months

How many other clubs at our level are filling their sides with these players from the South who are desperate to prove themselves? Give me some names of players - I am struggling to think of too many.

I'd guess our budget has changed in wage structure, the days of Taylor and Farid it was as Elvis put it 3 or 4 luxury players on a bigger wage than the rest to compliment the team, the likes of McGovern, Taylor, Farid, Dodd and Haworth surrounded by academy players.

We had one academy player starting v Morton recently, back previously we would've had 6 or 7.

my English team is tranmere, I was a fan of Fon Williams goalkeeper, now at Inverness, I'd commented on that I think he could do a job with us on one of the forums I visit, out of interest what sort of wage do you think he was on ? Was my question, the rough estimate was £1500 for league 2 in England...

I was also going to go to the recent Gateshead away game(Tranmere non league now) a Gateshead season ticket is more expensive than ours.

The transfer market on a whole is fecked in Scotland, everyone in Scotland is a selling club and the majority of the players are regurgitated from club to club, yep there is hidden gems outside the usual, finding them and then them wanting to come with our wage structure will also be the hard part thereafter.

It's not like playing football manager on a pc unfortunately