The Falkirk FC Thread

I'm struggling to work out what type of striker Houston's actually after. Clarkson, Heffernan and Miller are all very different styles of player and yet it would seem he's looked at all three of them. Hopefully it means he only sees Miller as one of a pair of strikers he's going to sign as we will still badly need a goal scorer to replace Farid, Taylor, Loys goals over the past few seasons.

Miller has just turned 32, is that what constitutes a has been these days?

No but depends on other factors too, injury history, type of player, position etc.

The big thing for me here, if he is so good, why has he not been snapped up by other teams. Every team in the league is looking for a quality striker. There is no doubt he was a cracking player a few years ago.

However, if he signs, will he be a player or coach or both? I think we have enough coaches at the club, do we really need another? I would like to see investment in a player that will give us a good return in terms goals, workrate, hunger, attitude

I don't think Miller will give us what we need as a main striker

Just my opinion. I thought the same when Kerr returned and I was surprised by his impact last season. I thought Mark Millar was the better option at the time, I suppose we all don't have a crystal balls

Edited by bejazz1

I've lost count how many times Houston has said he won't bring in a player unless it improves the quality of our squad. The chances of finding a player with a proven ability at a higher level are very slim at the start of the summer, but now is the time these types of player become available. I'm happy to wait and see who he brings in over the next month or so before I start calling him lazy again. It's also worth remembering we have offered deals to strikers who have then signed for a Premiership team.

On Miller signing, I would be happy for him to sign but only if there was still room for another striker in the budget, imagine there would be with Botti away to Swansea.

This notion that we are holding back for next season I just don't buy. What if Hibs are still there? Someone comes down who are bigger than us? St.Mirren are a year stronger and Dunfermilne come up flying? Do we just wait till Hibs go?

I know they want to go up but the longer we stay in this league the war chest that was built up last season will just be frittered away.

We can't predict the future but although the chairmen stated timing has to be right to invest for promotion, you can only take him as his word. Hubs are losing money down here, their belt will be tightened if still here, dunfermline will make a loss this season, tho should romp the league with 3x the budget of every other team in.their league, yep they could could continue that high onto next season but it didn't quite work out for QOS or Rangers and they have players there to get them out that league, who are not world beaters at this level. The clubs that come down won't be a Hearts or a Hibs...Killie would be a mess in this league, Rangers retirement home players on 3 yr contracts, MacDonald in goals and let's not forget the massive debt, Patrick and Hamilton no great shakes either whom I expect to be down there.

Majority of fans if not all get their heads around the objective of this season but seem to want to moan about anything, situation we are in is like Inverness fans expecting to win league this season, their cup success put about 280 on their crowd...have they missed the boat like we seemingly have....no it's just how it is

As far as I'm aware Killie don't have any debt any more. Guy called Billie Bowie did a deal with the outgoing chairman which cleared it for them. The objective for this season should be to put an entertaining side on the park which will fight it out for third spot and comfortably get into the playoffs. Anything better is a bonus anything less is simply not good enough.

What is the point in finishing 3rd? Why is this such a necessity?? In my opinion you aren't going up in the playoffs unless you finish 2nd, games are too close together and players fatigue. I think we are right to operate a tight budget and prepare for a promotion attempt next season, 4th will do it for me.

I've got a season ticket for the main stand but if for whatever reason I fancied watching a game in the South Stand am I able to do that? Has anyone else done this before?

Nah, I remember when the temporary stand was up I had a season ticket (which was a set of vouchers) in there with my da. Used to go to the turnstile in the south stand with the vouchers which the lassie at the turnstile had never seen before and she'd let us into the south stand.

We didn't mean to at first but then we clicked on and kept doing it cause we're cutthroat mercenaries.

In you're case however i think you could either chance it by going to the south stand turnstile and acting like a dope. They might take pity on you and let you in. Or you'll have to pay.

Way I see it is. We're not gonna win the league this season. With the current squad, 4th is achievable. We could get promoted in the playoffs. More of a chance getting promoted next season however with the tribute act probably out the league. Makes sense but to save the WARCHEST for next season and sign ronaldo and Messi and win the league by Christmas.

Way I see it is. We're not gonna win the league this season. With the current squad, 4th is achievable. We could get promoted in the playoffs. More of a chance getting promoted next season however with the tribute act probably out the league. Makes sense but to save the WARCHEST for next season and sign ronaldo and Messi and win the league by Christmas.

What a load of old tosh... What makes you think we'll actually spend money irrespective of the competition in the league

Even if reconstruction comes in were still going to be in an inferior position due to saving our bawbees...

I think we are being over confident about being in the top 4... Did we not think that last year before we crumbled at Dumbarton, Livvy and QOS

I think you need a reality check!

There you have it. We are either frittering away our cash or saving our cash. The early season boo boys are all over the shop.

There is no war chest. We can either play safe and put money aside for a proper tilt (like we did in 02/03 and 04/05) or go shit for bust like we dud under Jeffries or Next Level Hughes. When that tactic pays off it's spectacular (Stainrod, McQueen etc). When it doesn't your left with Burton O'Brien and Jackie McNamara sucking the club coffers dry.

There was no chance we had the funds to prepare a genuine title winning side this year. There is absolutely no sense in doing a half job to secure 3rd place. Especially when we have the quality to challenge for it already.

Boo away

I dont see how the team as it stands is good enough to finish 4th, its basically the same team minus loy and macdonald. We have filled both positions. There are no guarantees these guys will be any better but we are not any stronger so far in depth or quality up the top end of the park. So i think 5th or 6th is a possibility if we dont sign anymore players.

There you have it. We are either frittering away our cash or saving our cash. The early season boo boys are all over the shop.

There is no war chest. We can either play safe and put money aside for a proper tilt (like we did in 02/03 and 04/05) or go shit for bust like we dud under Jeffries or Next Level Hughes. When that tactic pays off it's spectacular (Stainrod, McQueen etc). When it doesn't your left with Burton O'Brien and Jackie McNamara sucking the club coffers dry.

There was no chance we had the funds to prepare a genuine title winning side this year. There is absolutely no sense in doing a half job to secure 3rd place. Especially when we have the quality to challenge for it already.

Boo away

No war chest?

Would you like to speculate then what has happen to the following cash windfall from last season?

350k Kingsley

500k McGrandles

150k Fulton

150k Mark Stewart

80k TV game v QOS

750k approx cup final

150k+ share of semi final pool

In a normal year the club generates around £1.3m. It is safe to assume with 5 near full houses, increased sponsorship and hospitality that number will be exceeded. Let's say conservatively 200k extra, plus and extra 200k we got for finishing fifth on top of the old central pay out. Also add 500 extra ST from the previous season.

Right we paid off the loans 500k and it takes about £1.6m to run the show. With increased cost from last season lets say guess it is up 200k. However the 60k+ a year Stirling used to cost us fell off last season too.

By my reckoning minus the loans we are up net about £1.5m. This of course is speculation but it is an educated guess based on known facts from previous seasons and some numbers doing the rounds.

Not a bad uplift before the taxman get his hands on some of it I suppose.

Edited by Back Post Misses