The Falkirk FC Thread

Putting Smith in the number 9 top doesn't make him a striker. First I've seen of him today and he looks absolutely gash.

My dad asked what he was like when we signed him and I had told him that I had seen him a couple of times when on loan at Raith. He was terrible then and hasn't shown much since.

I've argued with folk on here about the last Yogi season fifty times, so I won't bother again.

Since then, we have been absolutely gash every single year without exception. The results are dire but there are two main themes - shit scared football and failure to beat part time opposition.

We've had four managers (May, Pressley, Holt and now Houston), numerous different coaching staffs, and the squad has turned over three or four times.

In footballing side of the club there is one constant. Somehow this is his sixth season. I'm talking about Alex Smith.

He was a dinosaur ten years ago at Ross County, his teams were always negative, and he was chased by St Mirren fans despite winning the Scottish Cup. I'm not anti-Largs by any means, but it's clear from his statements as head of the LMA that he accepts mediocrity and is out of touch.

I don't care how "highly regarded" he is by "figures in the game" (notice that no specific names are given whenever this crap is mentioned) or that he works for free. What does he actually do in training sessions? What value does he add? Houston is 60 or something so he doesn't "need a mentor" as we were told the other three did.

How independent have our managers truly been while this negative dinosaur casts a shadow over the whole club? The attitude of the club has been one of fear on the park since he came in. Ritchie and the board may be taking money out for soft loans but our budgets have been competitive at the top of this league ever since we were relegated.

My only conclusion I can draw is that Alex Smith is influencing and destroying this football club.

I've argued with folk on here about the last Yogi season fifty times, so I won't bother again.

Since then, we have been absolutely gash every single year without exception. The results are dire but there are two main themes - shit scared football and failure to beat part time opposition.

We've had four managers (May, Pressley, Holt and now Houston), numerous different coaching staffs, and the squad has turned over three or four times.

In footballing side of the club there is one constant. Somehow this is his sixth season. I'm talking about Alex Smith.

He was a dinosaur ten years ago at Ross County, his teams were always negative, and he was chased by St Mirren fans despite winning the Scottish Cup. I'm not anti-Largs by any means, but it's clear from his statements as head of the LMA that he accepts mediocrity and is out of touch.

I don't care how "highly regarded" he is by "figures in the game" (notice that no specific names are given whenever this crap is mentioned) or that he works for free. What does he actually do in training sessions? What value does he add? Houston is 60 or something so he doesn't "need a mentor" as we were told the other three did.

How independent have our managers truly been while this negative dinosaur casts a shadow over the whole club? The attitude of the club has been one of fear on the park since he came in. Ritchie and the board may be taking money out for soft loans but our budgets have been competitive at the top of this league ever since we were relegated.

My only conclusion I can draw is that Alex Smith is influencing and destroying this football club.

IIRC you and I have differing opinions on the Yogi Years, but I agree completely with everything you've said in this post.

You think Alex Smith is that involved? I'd doubt it. And what manager would let him be that heavily involved? The only thing of note I know he's been involved in was getting Mark Millar back to the club last season as Holt had never heard of him.

Maybe we just have to accept that the managers we have appointed aren't good enough? Jury's still out on Houston after about 10 games.

Maybe we just have to accept that the managers we have appointed aren't good enough? Jury's still out on Houston after about 10 games.

My views on Pressley are well known, but he's doing a decent job and has signed a four year contract. Holt must be well thought of at Norwich given they've just taken him back higher up in the management structure. Houston still has time, but the start has been poor. He was excellent at United.

No other club which has been successful in Scotland over the last five years has this set up of a Godfather at the top. Of the 12 clubs in the top flight, only St Mirren don't have a young progressive manager. The last few winners of this league have been Hartley, Archibald (carrying on from McNamara), Adams and McIntyre. None needed a "mentor" who was out of the game for years to influence their thinking.

Under Holt, Alex Smith wasn't allowed in the dugout and had to sit in the stand. He takes care of the academy more up at Stirling. He's been up there for a while dressed in the forth valley academy tracksuit. Under Houston, we've seen him make a return to the dugout at specific times. I've got to admit I'm a fan of Alex Smith and I know he is highly regarded by the staff and kids at the academy.

Under Holt, Alex Smith wasn't allowed in the dugout and had to sit in the stand. He takes care of the academy more up at Stirling. He's been up there for a while dressed in the forth valley academy tracksuit. Under Houston, we've seen him make a return to the dugout at specific times. I've got to admit I'm a fan of Alex Smith and I know he is highly regarded by the staff and kids at the academy.

I'm a fan of smith also, he had a cracking month when he was manager pre holt and I know it's a stupid ish statement...but I don't think we would've lost the 3 goal lead v hibs in semi if he was in charge. I personally think the team we had then and perhaps last season had better or bigger players to what we have this season. We have a fuller squad as in numbers and some are still gelling but Kingsley, McGovern, McGrandles and Millar are huge gaps to fill. Full back slots were indifferent so far, we seem to have covered right back for now but still unsure of Leahy, so far he has done well enough for 60 or so mins but later on his concentration slips later on.

My point on squad of even last season, I ask a general question...... Who is our best player based on the season so far ?

I think a very very high percent would say Loy, whereas same question last season it would've been split between McGovern, Kingsley, Loy, McGrandles, Millar or Vaulks. I think that answers our problem......Not Alex Smith

I'm a fan of smith also, he had a cracking month when he was manager pre holt and I know it's a stupid ish statement...but I don't think we would've lost the 3 goal lead v hibs in semi if he was in charge. I personally think the team we had then and perhaps last season had better or bigger players to what we have this season. We have a fuller squad as in numbers and some are still gelling but Kingsley, McGovern, McGrandles and Millar are huge gaps to fill. Full back slots were indifferent so far, we seem to have covered right back for now but still unsure of Leahy, so far he has done well enough for 60 or so mins but later on his concentration slips later on.

My point on squad of even last season, I ask a general question...... Who is our best player based on the season so far ?

I think a very very high percent would say Loy, whereas same question last season it would've been split between McGovern, Kingsley, Loy, McGrandles, Millar or Vaulks. I think that answers our problem......Not Alex Smith

Sibbald

I remember Smiths last game in charge before Holt came in.

Livi away on a very cold Tuesday night with only a couple of hundred Falkirk fans.

Thought we played some superb stuff and by all accounts we looked ready for Hibs at the weekend.

He certainly didn't play what could be described as old school tactics.

I do however wonder why he hangs round the club nowadays.

Looks like circa 1000 tickets have been shifted so far by Falkirk fans for tomorrow night. Would imagine a few may PATG but not a lot.

Not great at all but not surprising.

I'll be there but in hope rather than any sort of expectation.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Aye, there were a few near me too, but they at least managed to sit on their hands throughout the 90 minutes.

Fond memories of the 3-2 game where some "Falkirk fans" in front of me quietly got up and left as soon Millar's free kick went in. Everyone else was going barmy!