The Falkirk FC Thread

Dumbarton fan at my brother's work is claiming Darren Hill will be our GK next season.

He's already under contract at Forfar next year so can't see it.

Any more rumours about Hilson that was on loan at us? Heavily rumoured to be heading to you guys at the end of the season but he trained with us the other day.

He's already under contract at Forfar next year so can't see it.

Any more rumours about Hilson that was on loan at us? Heavily rumoured to be heading to you guys at the end of the season but he trained with us the other day.

He his the only one that thinks it is true (he has told his work colleagues that he has boxed with Mike Tyson). And just wanted to double check that so that they can be positive he is talking s**t.

I'm not too bothered about the Challenge Cup so we've got just under five weeks till the real stuff starts in the League Cup. That's plenty time to get four/five players in. It's only really Hearts and Raith who are making numerous additions, with Raith employing a scattergun approach on names Murray has heard of.

Hilson move is off apparently. Doesn't take to kindly to Houston.

Hope it's not true as we need bodies in.

Where did you here this ? If true then its kind of troubling that already weve missed out on two signing targets because they don't like houston from there time with united.

I'm not too bothered about the Challenge Cup so we've got just under five weeks till the real stuff starts in the League Cup. That's plenty time to get four/five players in. It's only really Hearts and Raith who are making numerous additions, with Raith employing a scattergun approach on names Murray has heard of.

Not wanting to derail your thread, but it's easy to be dismissive of Rovers approach - but there is some logic in it going back through McGlynn's day. We don't really have a wide scouting network, and more importantly, we don't have the money to help folk re-settle. Ever since Anelka, we've tried to minimise the number of players coming in from leagues outside Scotland, and even within that, we've tried to make the group of players more local to minimise travel costs for the squad, and to better keep them together. Looking at our team now, there are even very few west coast based players in there (one of the main reasons we lost Baird to QoS was travel times).

Falkirk have a fantastic youth set up, which is helped by your central location to some extent, but it's something you can be proud of and will furnish you with a ready built squad. We are quickly becoming the not good enough for Dundee, can offer more money than Livi or Cowden club. It might be unimaginative but it's not quite as scattershot as is made out. As I said on our own thread, a lot of the guys within our budget are pretty much of a muchness in terms of ability. Every so often we'll find someone witha bit of wow factor, like Tade or Cardle - but for the most part we're a journeyman team. Murray at least has us playing less of a percentage based game than McGlynn did (although McGlynn was trapped by the players he could bring in - with Dunferlmine in the league, Dundee and Livi all paying more than us at the time, we were much farther down the food chain for east coast based players)

Not wanting to derail your thread, but it's easy to be dismissive of Rovers approach - but there is some logic in it going back through McGlynn's day. We don't really have a wide scouting network, and more importantly, we don't have the money to help folk re-settle. Ever since Anelka, we've tried to minimise the number of players coming in from leagues outside Scotland, and even within that, we've tried to make the group of players more local to minimise travel costs for the squad, and to better keep them together. Looking at our team now, there are even very few west coast based players in there (one of the main reasons we lost Baird to QoS was travel times).

Falkirk have a fantastic youth set up, which is helped by your central location to some extent, but it's something you can be proud of and will furnish you with a ready built squad. We are quickly becoming the not good enough for Dundee, can offer more money than Livi or Cowden club. It might be unimaginative but it's not quite as scattershot as is made out. As I said on our own thread, a lot of the guys within our budget are pretty much of a muchness in terms of ability. Every so often we'll find someone witha bit of wow factor, like Tade or Cardle - but for the most part we're a journeyman team. Murray at least has us playing less of a percentage based game than McGlynn did (although McGlynn was trapped by the players he could bring in - with Dunferlmine in the league, Dundee and Livi all paying more than us at the time, we were much farther down the food chain for east coast based players)

What an excellent post.

You make Kirkcaldy sound as far away as Kirkwall, its only 40 mins on the motorway from Falkirk

Heard that at before Friday lunch time Falkirk had sold 1925 season tickets. Went down and got mine today and the shop was heaving with folk.

Hopefully get a bit more and give some cash to Houston for some signings, I'm getting impatient here

You make Kirkcaldy sound as far away as Kirkwall, its only 40 mins on the motorway from Falkirk

If you had the choice of two job, both are the same, both pay the same, one is 25mins away one is just over an hour away (so long as the traffic is fine) who would you chose? Exactly.

It's pretty obvious why almost all our players are based in the east and those based in the west opt to play for other clubs, why we were susceptible to loosing Baird etc.

Edited by Enigma

If you had the choice of two job, both are the same, both pay the same, one is 25mins away one is just over an hour away (so long as the traffic is fine) who would you chose? Exactly.

It's pretty obvious why almost all our players are based in the east and those based in the west opt to play for other clubs, why we were susceptible to loosing Baird etc.

Pay isn't the main thing I consider when going for a job. Job Security, Career Progression are far more important and worth driving a wee bit further for.

Pay isn't the main thing I consider when going for a job. Job Security, Career Progression are far more important and worth driving a wee bit further for.

I imagine these two things are virtually the same when considering signing for one of, say, QotS, Falkirk and Raith Rovers this season. Football simply doesn't have the job security or career progression you find in 'normal' jobs anyway, as you well know.

I imagine these two things are virtually the same when considering signing for one of, say, QotS, Falkirk and Raith Rovers this season. Football simply doesn't have the job security or career progression you find in 'normal' jobs anyway, as you well know.

I'm sorry but wasn't it you who made the link between football and normal jobs not 3 posts ago?

Ouch!! They are going to end up with two of our best players from last season. Sounds like Kingsley might be on the move too. I really am starting to get a little nervous now. I just hope Houston knows what he is doing and has a few gems lined up to replace them.

Ouch!! They are going to end up with two of our best players from last season. Sounds like Kingsley might be on the move too. I really am starting to get a little nervous now. I just hope Houston knows what he is doing and has a few gems lined up to replace them.

On Falkirk Website now..Kingsley gone to Swansea!!

A bollocks the night is just getting worse. Doesn't seem a lot of cash for him either I know there is add ons etc. Just thought we would get more up front for him.

How much was it? Don't see any mention of a fee anywhere.