The Falkirk FC Thread

Ideally we'd go with Fulton next to Murdoch and Grant-Sibbald-Alston in behind the striker, with McGrandles as an option as well. Plenty strength in depth in that area with the players we have signed up which is another reason why I'd have let Higgins and Weatherston leave.

I'll probably get laughed at and this will be quoted, but Fulton to me should be playing in an almost Michael Carrick role.

I see where you're coming from. He plays a 15-20 yard ground pass as well as anyone. His through ball for Duffie at Firhill in January was outrageous. He has such tidy feet and great balance though, it's almost a waste not to see him further up the pitch where he could use his skill to unlock defences. His big weakness is that he can let runners go beyond him and has often left huge gaps behind (Murdoch was just as bad earlier in the season for this as well).

If Fulton is to continue to play deeper, and if he can add someone like, say, Paul Lawson's positional awareness to his game, he would genuinely be my favourite Scottish player.

post-22987-0-59407800-1367926603.gif

I see where you're coming from. He plays a 15-20 yard ground pass as well as anyone. His through ball for Duffie at Firhill in January was outrageous. He has such tidy feet and great balance though, it's almost a waste not to see him further up the pitch where he could use his skill to unlock defences. His big weakness is that he can let runners go beyond him and has often left huge gaps behind (Murdoch was just as bad earlier in the season for this as well).

If Fulton is to continue to play deeper, and if he can add someone like, say, Paul Lawson's positional awareness to his game, he would genuinely be my favourite Scottish player.

attachicon.giffulton.gif.gif

Thought you were a Falkirk fan given your manner of posting. Take it you've seen us a few times this season? Re: new defender: if he turns out to be the next Carles Puyol I'll still be wishing we hadn't signed him, what a pain in the arse his name is. Scott Olumide Durojaiye. Goan Scotty!

Thought you were a Falkirk fan given your manner of posting. Take it you've seen us a few times this season?

I was planning a 5000 word article for Tell Him He's Pelé entitled "Elvis and the loneliness of the holding midfielder", but when I had most of it researched Elvis left! I might do something similar over the close season.

I was planning a 5000 word article for Tell Him He's Pelé entitled "Elvis and the loneliness of the holding midfielder", but when I had most of it researched Elvis left! I might do something similar over the close season.

Aye, just clocked that you're the 'Tell Him He's Pele' guy. :lol: Great site btw, not very many places give accurate, detailed insight into the SFL. :thumsup2

I thought he was a good foil for Taylor, Higgins played some terrific through balls for him.

And this is what I think we'll miss most about Higgins. He was really the only player who could spot Taylor's runs and find him with a pass. Many times an attempted pass would fail to clear the defensive line and I'd hear tirades of abuse aimed at Higgins for being "clueless" and being victime to the timeless "Who wis that tae?" but Taylor was making darting runs from behind the defence, it was just unfortunate that the passes sometimes didn't find their man. Of course, if Taylor leaves the case for keeping Higgins based on the strength of his link up play with Taylor is rendered null and void. I still think he'd provide the same type of service for any other striker, as he did for Leahy in the last half hour against Cowdenbeath a few weeks back..

I'm a bit disappointed to see Flannigan away, as he was really coming on to a game. His long passing was probably the best in the squad (which further highlights how shite our midfield truly was this season) and he liked to get stuck in a bit and won more tackles than a midfielder of his type really should.

Weatherston is a useful squad member, but we've got plenty of attacking midfielders in the academy, so it's probably wise to let him move on.

And this is what I think we'll miss most about Higgins. He was really the only player who could spot Taylor's runs and find him with a pass. Many times an attempted pass would fail to clear the defensive line and I'd hear tirades of abuse aimed at Higgins for being "clueless" and being victime to the timeless "Who wis that tae?" but Taylor was making darting runs from behind the defence, it was just unfortunate that the passes sometimes didn't find their man. Of course, if Taylor leaves the case for keeping Higgins based on the strength of his link up play with Taylor is rendered null and void. I still think he'd provide the same type of service for any other striker, as he did for Leahy in the last half hour against Cowdenbeath a few weeks back..

It might have only been the Second Division, but in 07-08 Higgins played behind Andrew Barrowman in a 4-2-3-1. That was the first time in his career that Higgins got to play #10. It wasn't a co-incidence that Barrowman scored 24 league goals. Teams like St Johnstone and arguably even Dundee never saw the best of him because they relied on him to be the #9, as County did for too long before Derek Adams became manager.

Edited by bunglebonce

Thank feck Holt has seen sense to get rid of crocks like Higgins and wetherston. A club with a tight budget like we have cant afford to have players like higgins sitting on their fat arses for weeks on end. If we want to win the league we need better quality in the squad if not numbers so hopefully this will be the start of it. Good to see Dale Fulton punted too. Couldnt pass, tackle or do much really and neither could flannigan. Fingers crossed McGovern will sign and we'll keep taylor. Anothe couple of decent signings then and we'll be right up there.

It might have only been the Second Division, but in 07-08 Higgins played behind Andrew Barrowman in a 4-2-3-1. That was the first time in his career that Higgins got to play #10. It wasn't a co-incidence that Barrowman scored 24 league goals. Teams like St Johnstone and arguably even Dundee never saw the best of him because they relied on him to be the #9, as County did for too long before Derek Adams became manager.

Higgins, Shields, Barrowman (and sometimes Petrie) playing together :wub:

Every player should give their heart every game so I don't buy that we should keep they two for that reason.

Not good enough

So we shouldn't be keeping Taylor either then?

He gives his all every game. Might not score every game but doesn't mean he isn't giving his all every game.

I can think of quite a few games where Taylor has looked like he simply can't be arsed, as is the case with pretty much any of our players. I don't think Higgy or Weatherston can be faulted for effort, just lack of consistent fitness.

Edited by RobBairn1876

I can think of quite a few games where Taylor has looked like he simply can't be arsed, as is the case with pretty much any of our players. I don't think Higgy or Weatherston can be faulted for effort, just lack of consistent fitness.

They cant be fault for effort and i do not think anyone has faulted them on that part.

The part they can be faulted on is not just inconsistent fitness wise but also very inconsistent on the pitch ( when they were able to play)

We needed a clearout at the club and it is happening so very happy.