The Falkirk FC Thread

I'm pretty much the same although I'm sure the majority of our support will be happy to see the back of him. I only hope that we bring in a striker in the summer with a bit of aerial presence to replace him.

With Boaby leaving and Barclay presumably staying what's been the point of keeping him on the bench the last few weeks? Surely we should've had him in the team and getting him as much experience as possible.

I am not convinced wirh Barclay.

I'd have kept Olejnik, to be honest. I suspect he's one of our higher earners though.

Edited by Gaz

I am not convinced wirh Barclay.

I don't think much of Barclay either and certainly think that Andrews is the better 'keeper and I imagine that they would be our 2 options for next season.

This was posted on One F. No real surprises there.

http://www.dailyreco...86908-23103767/

FALKIRK manager Steven Pressley yesterday told seven first-team players they will not be offered new contracts.

The Bairns boss survived fan criticism to win a new 12-month deal but has done so against the backdrop of severe financial cutbacks as the club prepares for a second season in the First Division.

With Dunfermline sealing the title at the weekend to kill Bairns' lingering dreams of bouncing back up to the SPL, Pressley moved quickly to inform his out-of-contract players of their futures.

Captain Burton O'Brien, strikers Pedro Moutinho and Carl Finnigan, defenders Brian McLean, Chris Mitchell and Mehdi Khalis and keeper Robert Olejnik have all been told they will not be retained.

Pressley is struggling with budget constraints and has dumped the majority of high earners left over from the club's time in the SPL.

He said: "I've spoken to quite a number of the out-of-contract players because it's important they know where their futures lie.

"We are not in a position to offer these players contracts and they'll certainly move on. A number of them will move on because of the financial restraints but other decisions have got to be made as well.

"In some cases it is because it's the right time to part company and get a fresh start.

"There are some younger players who have been spoken to as well.

"It's the worst part of the job. We are exceptionally close as a group, I have a very good relationship with all my players and it's not easy when you have to tell them they are being let go."

One player who has been offered fresh terms is striker Mark Stewart, who had a new deal tabled weeks ago.

Stewart is the top scorer in the First Division and it remains to be seen whether there will be interest in the 22-year-old in the summer.

But by offering a new contract, which is understood to have already been factored into the new budget, the Westfield club have protected their right to compensation if he does move on.

:angry: No mention of an apology of wasting money on Kenny "Dr Goals Duechar then.

I'd have kept McLean as well, but I think he'll be one of our highest earners, so no real issues with him leaving in that respect. Would have liked to keep Finnigan too (on a reduced wage), but I can understand why he wouldn't be kept on. The rest are no losses, and I'm delighted BoB, Mitchell & Olejnik will finally be out the door.

Because he's niggly?:huh:

I'm genuinely saddened to see Finnigan go. I expected the other to leave though.

When I saw Finnigan was being released I just thought and said to myself "Yeah, whatever"

Going through them:

Boaby - Good shot stopper, but there has been times this season where his confidence has collapsed and you really think that he's going to drop you points at any time in the game

McLean - I'll miss the aimless long balls up the park

Khalis - The Human Bambi will always be remembered for having his arse ripped from out of him by Dunfermline on the first game of the season and never was he seen again.

Mitchell - ......:lol: I'm sorry, I can't think of anything witty to say, he's just plain sh*te!!

O'Brien - Cheers for nothing

Pedro - Just a nothing signing. While Fifers were signing Hardie and Rutkiewics(Sp) in January we signed this guy and Perry, that says it all right there.

Finnigan - .....hes niggly though.

Edited by The Hero of the Day

Anyone know whats happening with Jack Compton, he's under contract but what the hell was his fall out with Pressley??

If the club reducing the wage bill I assume the argument will be resolved as surley we can not afford to pay someone with no chance of a game???

Believe that Andrews will be the 1st choice keeper next season. Afterall, he is the current Scotland under-21 backup keeper. Barclay just looks to overweight to me and that will affect his mobility. Andrews looks more the keeper and has a season of first team football under his belt.

Can't believe that nobody has piped up about the potential Darren Dodds signing. That would be an awful move. 35 years old and played only 4 games last year due to injury. We have limited scope to sign players and would prefer that we spent our money on filling spaces where we really could do with a leader. We have ample defenders:

Bloom

Kingsley

Twaddle

Scobbie

Stallard

McLeish

Duffie

Wallace

Give me a no nonsense central midfielder and a big striker who can hold the play up allowing his midfield to join the attack. Other than that, I am happy with the squad

Edited by JustLuvinThepian

Believe that Andrews will be the 1st choice keeper next season. Afterall, he is the current Scotland under-21 backup keeper. Barclay just looks to overweight to me and that will affect his mobility. Andrews looks more the keeper and has a season of first team football under his belt.

Can't believe that nobody has piped up about the potential Darren Dodds signing. That would be an awful move. 35 years old and played only 4 games last year due to injury. We have limited scope to sign players and would prefer that we spent our money on filling spaces where we really could do with a leader. We have ample defenders:

Bloom

Kingsley

Twaddle

Scobbie

Stallard

McLeish

Duffie

Wallace

Give me a no nonsense central midfielder and a big striker who can hold the play up allowing his midfield to join the attack. Other than that, I am happy with the squad

I disagree. We badly need a new backbone for the team. Centrback, centremid and centreforward. Whether its Dodds or not is another question but I wouldnt fancy a centre half partnership out of any of these guys. We'll probably need to sign more than one centreforward too as I've got a feeling there basically all out of contract next season.

Barclay has more first team experience than Andrews having been out on loan before and was in under 21 squads before he became too old. If your basis for choosing Andrews is that Barclay "looks overweight" I'd wager you've never seen either play.

The Gala Awards:

Player's Player of the Year: Mark Stewart (presented to by O'Brien, looked like he couldn't give a f**k).

Supporter's Players of the Year: Mark Stewart.

Young Player of the Year: Ryan Flynn.

Trainer of the Year: Mark Millar.

U-19 Player of the Year: Blair Alston.

Some of the U-19's were promoted to the senior team (?), sound quality for me was a bit shite when George Craig was talking.

Reading on Bullen's Twitter is that Pre Season starts on June 20th.

Someone on OneF saying it's in today's Herald that both Andrews and Barclay have been released :unsure:

Apparently in the FH, though not seen it yet. Poor decision IMO, bad enough letting one go, without 1st team action, but both? :huh:

Apparently in the FH, though not seen it yet. Poor decision IMO, bad enough letting one go, without 1st team action, but both? :huh:

Surley not, but a trifle alarming if true as thats no 1st team keeper in place for next season.

Makes you wonder who Pressley is looking at? If were are to have a young back 4 we will need some experience in goal........... thoughts???