The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

I think where we are just now (3rd tier) we need to make sure costs are tight & we make as much money as we can from these sort of deals. I’d be keen to know if the Greaves deal outweighs doing it for ourselves. Maybe it’s value for money. 

I know how much we used to make on a shirt (from supporting the management committee for 2/3 seasons) and it wasn’t a lot of cash, so god knows what PUMA were charging in 2023. It’s no wonder the price hit £50 retail, prob just so the club made a bit on them. 

O’Neills produce in the UK/IRE I’m sure versus the PUMA Turkey factory. That will surely help with cost price, delivery timescale & minimum numbers that need to be ordered. 

Manufacturing costs in Turkey will be lower than Ireland / UK but O’Neill will be able to offer greater flexibility in turnaround times.

7 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Crunchy Carrots

Cheers. I was thinking of players. 

It was announced as one year to begin with and neither side have commented as to whether it was extended or expired. (at least not that I've seen). 

BAIRNS ANNOUNCE CRUNCHY CARROTS AS NEW FRONT OF SHIRT PARTNER! - Falkirk Football Club (falkirkfc.co.uk)

1 minute ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Manufacturing costs in Turkey will be lower than Ireland / UK but O’Neill will be able to offer greater flexibility in turnaround times.

Also minimum order quantities were quite high from puma - O’Neills are better in this area as well. 

Guest Ecosse83

Just been told through a 3rd party that the Rice thinks Maciver will be a very good signing for us. The 3rd party knows him very well so pretty reliable. Alloa were desperate to keep a hold of him! 

Hopefully that’s the case and I have to well and truly eat my words 😂

Edited by Ecosse83

Guest Brockvillenomore
59 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

It was announced as one year to begin with and neither side have commented as to whether it was extended or expired. (at least not that I've seen). 

BAIRNS ANNOUNCE CRUNCHY CARROTS AS NEW FRONT OF SHIRT PARTNER! - Falkirk Football Club (falkirkfc.co.uk)

I’m 99% sure Jamie Swinney said at the recognition night that they had renewed. 

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

Just been told through a 3rd party that the Rice thinks Maciver will be a very good signing for us. The 3rd party knows him very well so pretty reliable. Alloa were desperate to keep a hold of him! 

Hopefully that’s the case and I have to well and truly eat my words 😂

I think MacIver will be a good signing as well. He’s most likely not going to get us 20 goals, however I have a feeling he’ll become somewhat of a fans favourite. All being said, we still desperately need another striker. Euan Henderson from hearts maybe? I remember Alloa fans saying Henderson and MacIver up top was a smashing partnership. However, once again this would rely on Mcglynn playing two up top.

12 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Not surprised by that, I was shocked when they signed him.

They certainly got more out of him than we did (second time around).

I am a great believer in the saying "if you don't ask, you don't get" so as I was concerned about us doling out 2 year deals again I got in touch with FSS and asked the question. The reply is a FSS viewpoint, not an official club statement.

Hi There,

I am emailing to ask if the FSS members on the board are taking a position or monitoring the manager signing players on 2 year deals?
Much was made of the fact that when Gary Holt was the DOF he signed quite a number of players on 2 year deals and that meant that when things went badly for Paul Sheerin and he was sacked that any incoming manager was tied to working with players that a) they never signed and b) didn't fit into their playing style plans.
I get the impression that this was partially used as an excuse for John McGlynn not achieving promotion last season.
Yet, here we are, a year down the line and the manager has given 2 year deals to Aidan Nesbitt and Ross MacIver. Surely 1 year deals with a 1 year option are much more sensible for us next season, particularly as I would imagine that if John McGlynn doesn't achieve promotion for us next season that he will be gone, leaving behind players with another year left on their deal that an incoming manager will have to work with? I would have thought that we would have learned our lesson by now?
I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,
BiE

The reply

Hi BiE
Apologies for any delay in reply as things have been a bit hectic with
the recent successful FSS fan bank loan announcement activities and
several of the committee being on holiday.
We have regular monthly meetings with our fans directors [ next
Wednesday ] and this question will be raised with them.
On the general question of individual player contracts, I would think
this would be a matter for the club management alone and all the exact
details would not be made public.I would think his squad will have a mix
of 1 year/2 year deals and also loans and it is possible that the "2
year" contracts may have some kind of clauses based on promotion etc.
built into them but all contracts are a result of personal negotiations.
I hope this helps.

Best regards
Edited by Bairn in Exile

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

It was extended.

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I am a great believer in the saying "if you don't ask, you don't get" so as I was concerned about us doling out 2 year deals again I got in touch with FSS and asked the question. The reply is a FSS viewpoint, not an official club statement.

Hi There,

I am emailing to ask if the FSS members on the board are taking a position or monitoring the manager signing players on 2 year deals?
Much was made of the fact that when Gary Holt was the DOF he signed quite a number of players on 2 year deals and that meant that when things went badly for Paul Sheerin and he was sacked that any incoming manager was tied to working with players that a) they never signed and b) didn't fit into their playing style plans.
I get the impression that this was partially used as an excuse for John McGlynn not achieving promotion last season.
Yet, here we are, a year down the line and the manager has given 2 year deals to Aidan Nesbitt and Ross MacIver. Surely 1 year deals with a 1 year option are much more sensible for us next season, particularly as I would imagine that if John McGlynn doesn't achieve promotion for us next season that he will be gone, leaving behind players with another year left on their deal that an incoming manager will have to work with? I would have thought that we would have learned our lesson by now?
I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,
BiE

The reply

Hi BiE
Apologies for any delay in reply as things have been a bit hectic with
the recent successful FSS fan bank loan announcement activities and
several of the committee being on holiday.
We have regular monthly meetings with our fans directors [ next
Wednesday ] and this question will be raised with them.
On the general question of individual player contracts, I would think
this would be a matter for the club management alone and all the exact
details would not be made public.I would think his squad will have a mix
of 1 year/2 year deals and also loans and it is possible that the "2
year" contracts may have some kind of clauses based on promotion etc.
built into them but all contracts are a result of personal negotiations.
I hope this helps.

Best regards

While I totally agree that the board shouldn’t be telling the manager who he can’t and can’t sign, surely there has to be some oversight of contract terms. Particularly when you’ve got a manager who could very well be out the door before some of his signings.

Otherwise you can easily end up with duds on inflated wages and extended contracts like Holt left us with.

21 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

While I totally agree that the board shouldn’t be telling the manager who he can’t and can’t sign, surely there has to be some oversight of contract terms. Particularly when you’ve got a manager who could very well be out the door before some of his signings.

Otherwise you can easily end up with duds on inflated wages and extended contracts like Holt left us with.

Its comparing night and day when your comparing Holt and McGlynn to each other plus another take on it is if a player becomes a saleable asset  if there was a chance to get money for Nesbitt regardless how much or Morrison then it allows to bring in better or that would be my take on it.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’ve previously brought this up only to be told it’s McGlynns budget to decide who’s coming in (and going out) and agree to a certain extent. My previous points raised that in any business I’ve managed there’s set approval/sign off for any revenue spend/expenditure. 
Im flabbergasted that any BOD isn’t involved directly or indirectly with any transactions that may put the club at risk ( and we must be in the top three for that) 

Nesbitts two year deal is so wrong for me, and if the BOD have sat back without challenging, is a huge concern. 

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’ve previously brought this up only to be told it’s McGlynns budget to decide who’s coming in (and going out) and agree to a certain extent. My previous points raised that in any business I’ve managed there’s set approval/sign off for any revenue spend/expenditure. 
Im flabbergasted that any BOD isn’t involved directly or indirectly with any transactions that may put the club at risk ( and we must be in the top three for that) 

Nesbitts two year deal is so wrong for me, and if the BOD have sat back without challenging, is a huge concern. 

Please tell me you are not suggesting that the board should be deciding who gets a new contract and over ruling the manager?