The Falkirk FC Thread

6 weeks on Saturday until our first league cup game and 2 weeks on Sunday until preseason starts again, with a few away friendlies penciled in before that no doubt.

Dabrowski confirmed as released by Hibs, Gilmour released by St Johnstone albeit still carrying an injury, Rowe & Hogarth released from their clubs, Naismith in the papers saying Lewis Neilson still has a bit of development in him before he becomes a starter.

Winger wise I wonder if the lad we had up on trial in January is in contention given we've got ourselves the development squad now.

17 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

6 weeks on Saturday until our first league cup game and 2 weeks on Sunday until preseason starts again, with a few away friendlies penciled in before that no doubt.

Dabrowski confirmed as released by Hibs, Gilmour released by St Johnstone albeit still carrying an injury, Rowe & Hogarth released from their clubs, Naismith in the papers saying Lewis Neilson still has a bit of development in him before he becomes a starter.

Winger wise I wonder if the lad we had up on trial in January is in contention given we've got ourselves the development squad now.

I don't particularly want any of last seasons goalies to be our starter next season. We need (and it should be achievable) better than all 3. 

6 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Seems to be a good scheme which kills two birds with one stone in terms of funding the pitch and floodlight upgrades while increasing FSS’s stake in the club.

Personally, I’d have taken the opportunity to put in a protection for good governance purposes to prevent Patrons from occupying all board seats. I would also still be seeking external investment to occupy the third stool to reduce reliance on the vagaries of fan donations.

The Patrons only have 2 seats on the Board. 2 are with the remit of the FSS. 2 if wished for, by major shareholders (I think Gordon Wright is in there on this). Only one of the FSS Board members is also a Patron, but that is because he was voted in by the FSS. Looks OK to me, although I would like to see an independent Chairperson to oversee the Board.  

8 hours ago, Jimmy1876 said:

To your first two points - the shares were created a while ago and ring fenced for purchase by FSS over the next few years while membership and donations grew, these shares were being purchased on a monthly basis. Now there is enough money to buy all the remaining shares directly from the club. So FSS get the majority shareholding and the money goes to the club.

It's not a majority shareholding.

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I suspect you're right. In the scheme of things £350k is peanuts to them and the publicity is probably worth more than that, at least for this first one.

If they get repayment then all the better. If they quietly end up writing it off in 20 years because there's no means of enforcing payment that will be a very trivial problem for another government who, if anyone even notices, will simply blame mistakes made by a past regime.

Could the Scottish Government not have secured the debt over the shares which FSS are getting? That seems sensible to me.

6 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I notice politics coming out in a few posts as well, thought we had got rid of that shite with the departure of DPB. This forum is about FFC not political persuasions.

It's perfectly reasonable, in fact inevitable, that the loan has lead to political discussion.

3 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

1st June tomorrow & contracts ending so we may see some signings this week hopefully🤞🏼

Just looking back at last seasons dealings.

Signed Henderson on the 22nd of May and Donaldson on the 26th.

PJ Morrison came in on the 2nd of June and McGinn, Oliver and Mackie didn’t sign till the 9th of June.

Hopefully have some more news soon. 

8 hours ago, bairn88 said:

8.gif

I’ll be honest here. I have no idea whether to be cynical or congratulatory in relation to the loan your club is receiving. I’ll probably stick with ambivalence. 

What I will say, is that I was reading and waiting with baited breath to see HSW’s initial thoughts. 

Those thoughts, and the subsequent utterly fucking perfect use of that gif, are the reason why I love P&B.  

Edited by mozam76

I’ve reflected long and hard on todays news and I think everything about it is positive.

I’m not going to cover why I think that as it’s mostly been covered in multiple posts today.

I must say, it’s good to get some positive news for a change.

Well done everyone involved in getting this deal finalised and in particular the FSS.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

39 minutes ago, printer said:

It's not a majority shareholding.

Could the Scottish Government not have secured the debt over the shares which FSS are getting? That seems sensible to me.

It's perfectly reasonable, in fact inevitable, that the loan has lead to political discussion.

Apologies you are right. FSS will have the largest shareholding with the combined shares of FSS and the Patrons (another fans group) being a majority shareholding. So fans have the majority shareholding.

Mentioned this already but this loan appears to be essentially a donation with an aim to support fan ownership for clubs who demonstrate community focus. With terms like this it seems if the money is paid back then that's great and they have done due diligence to make that happen but also if not then they have supported a community and social project. 

Have seen quite a lot about the politics and it is fair to question. From my perspective Falkirk with its close relationship with the foundation, supports initiatives throughout the community from mental health groups, to fitness groups for all ages. The pitch is used by all of these people and I think that's a reasonable thing for a government to support. In any case, it seems this money was already dedicated for social projects, this loan has just been selected as the vehicle for it. 

1 hour ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Is John McGlynn not on holiday? I’m sure he said if we had made the cup final he’d had to rearrange it. Might delay announcements. 

I don't think I'll get in trouble for this as it's only commenting on timings rather than juicy stuff, but I'll put it up anyway. It might stop some of the "sign some c*nt" twitter posts which will appear as a reply any time the club posts things in the coming days. 

I was in the office after MacIver signed his deal. The gaffer came in, gave his quotes on the signing to the media officer and then said to both of us that the next couple of weeks would be likely be quiet. Offers have been made, but there's plenty of time before the window closes and so players are considering their options. At least if they're half-decent and have options available with several clubs interested in them. 

For that reason I think most or our transfer activity will take place later rather than earlier. If you think back to last season, the likes of Yeats, Kennedy, Alegria, Burell and Lawal only signed after competitive games had began. Going back further the likes of Rudden & McManus were the same. I suspect the same will prove true this year, so it may be a while before we hear of the next signings.

Or I suppose an agent could pick up the phone in the next hour and say "we accept your offer". Time will tell, There is nothing imminent that I know of.  

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

26 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

On another note - Jakubiak has been released. I think, and I’ll caveat by saying if he can stay fit, could do a job at this level.

And would he step down to League 1 ?

Doubt we could afford him but even if we could you can't take the risk on him staying fit as he's always out injured.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Fair point but he did play 30 games across all competitions last season.

Still more game than Ryan Williamson and that's probably across his contract