The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know what the point of FSS is. But the fan ownership is already achieved. You have a loan, you've bought the shares. I think you're missing the point of the question here. It's not a massive reach that a football club in 5 years, or 10 years, or 15 years, suddenly has some other major funding shortfall and launches some other major fundraiser for it which fans pile into and stop their FSS standing orders because "that will just be written off anyway". It's absolutely nothing to do with not supporting an ownership model.

Sorry I must have misunderstood your first post then, thought you were suggesting that fans redirect their money elsewhere now to avoid paying the loan off? Which would require the whole membership to stop supporting a fan ownership model hence my response. 

19 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

This looks like good news.

Can someone with a better grip on the club's finances please sum up where we are now please with regards to what will be left for this year's playing budget? Taking into account the following and anything I've missed...

£350k govt loan

Scottish cup money

Fss money

Season ticket and sponsorship etc

£400k hole at start of each season

New pitch allowing for grants etc

New floodlights again allowing for grants

I'm hoping if there is a significant surplus now it isn't all given to the manager over the summer for players and we use it all up trying to get out of this league. Hopefully some is held back incase we do go up to strengthen next season or for January if we need a new manager and to strengthen to get up. I'd give mcglynn a healthy and fair summer budget but hold a decent chunk back if we are in a position to do so. 

Going back to Swinney's interview on Falkirk Daft a few weeks ago it was mentioned that at that time the footballing budget was slightly less than the season prior however the intention was to bring that back up to an equal amount.

This newly announced deal has been ~18 months in the making so I assume that there will be very little change to Swinney's previous comments now it has been announced.

29 minutes ago, Bairney Rubble said:

No fact. I am just a fan with a brain. The deal stated 20 year repayment period. If, like your mortgage, you want to pay it back quicker then why not. I presume the 20% is based on current income to FSS.

It would be really stupid to repay a 20 year interest free loan quicker though, unlike a mortgage.

20k in 2035 will buy you a loaf of bread.

1 minute ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Sorry I must have misunderstood your first post then, thought you were suggesting that fans redirect their money elsewhere now to avoid paying the loan off? Which would require the whole membership to stop supporting a fan ownership model hence my response. 

You're still missing it. You already own the shares. You've bought them today (or will tomorrow, whatever the exact timing is). Stopping paying the debt 5 years down the line won't change the ownership position. The statement is very clear, there is no "security" involved here. The Govt isn't coming to repossess your shares if you don't pay. It's not like a house.

Not repaying the loan requires the majority of the membership / fan base to decide they'd rather put their Falkirk FC intended cash somewhere else. It's not related to a fan ownership model that won't change whether they repay the loan or don't. It's basically a moral decision about continuing to repay the debt not a conceptual one about fan ownership.

21 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

What irks me is the money being spent to upgrade the floodlighting.

The club don't own the floodlights so yet again the Council will be pissing themselves laughing that their multi-million pound asset is being maintained and upgraded to the highest level ensuring it's capitol value that they can use as security for a loan and there is diddly squat the club could do about it. The council could come to an arrangement with a private equity company to take over the facility and the first thing we would know about it was then was all over.

Therefore the bare minimum should be spent on care and maintenance and soldier on with the current lighting releasing funds for the playing squad. 

Im not sure that the council own the floodlights. Is it not considered part of the playing pitch and Stadium owned by the club? I’m sure someone itk can confirm.

However, the club were informed that the floodlights were not up to scratch by the SPFL for televised night matches and certainly didn’t meet UEFA requirements (should we have won the cup lol). The ref at the Ayr also put in an official complaint re the lighting.

Therefore, improving the floodlighting was always required for next season. 

Well done to all who got this over the line 👏🏻

We have a special episode of the podcast out tomorrow (Thurs)…

🚨 EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW🚨

Following on from the joint @FalkirkfcSS & @FalkirkFC news this morning we’ve secured an EXCLUSIVE interview with Paul Robertson of the Falkirk Supporters Society who tells us about what this means for FSS & the future…👏🏻

🎙️Interview out tomorrow (Thu)

IMG_1745.thumb.jpeg.3ef4647adfd6d5d1b8a257733b608304.jpeg

15 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

It would be really stupid to repay a 20 year interest free loan quicker though, unlike a mortgage.

20k in 2035 will buy you a loaf of bread.

I agree.
Would be nothing to us when we have the income from Champions League group stages in 2037 though along with our 10000 FSS members paying £50 a month!!

44 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

What irks me is the money being spent to upgrade the floodlighting.

The club don't own the floodlights so yet again the Council will be pissing themselves laughing that their multi-million pound asset is being maintained and upgraded to the highest level ensuring it's capitol value that they can use as security for a loan and there is diddly squat the club could do about it. The council could come to an arrangement with a private equity company to take over the facility and the first thing we would know about it was then was all over.

Therefore the bare minimum should be spent on care and maintenance and soldier on with the current lighting releasing funds for the playing squad. 

Aw gonnae shut the f**k up about the fucking council man?

2 hours ago, Jimmy1876 said:

So the club has a £200,000 grant to cover the new floodlights and pitch plus this £350,000 alongside 80% of the FSS money anyway (£80k per year)? With money from the government which was ring-fenced for social development projects and FSS was chosen as a vehicle for this? AND the club is not liable, and even if it needs to be repayed it will be only for the amount FSS have in the bank at the time? And this let's FSS become the majority shareholder of the club. Genuinely knocked this out of the park FSS. What an achievement!!!!

How much money did the SNP recently ringfence?

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

Looks like a good deal but someone, somewhere is absolutely going to rip this scheme off when it gets rolled out to the other clubs.

I'm looking at you Dunfermline, Dundee and Livingston.

That is when the due diligence carried out by Scot Gov should weed out the money launder’s and charlatans .

Let's have a #marquee signing holding up a big, fuckoff novelty #NBP cheque please. 

All of these "concerns" about taxpayers money from fans of clubs who gladly took the coin during covid have ran their course for me. 

27 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

So what was the pish the Alloa fan came out with that was deleted?

They said that we had reached an agreement with QP to play their home games next season at TFS. Think they were just testing me and @Ranaldo Bairn to see if we could hold our water and we proved we could.

Seems to be a good scheme which kills two birds with one stone in terms of funding the pitch and floodlight upgrades while increasing FSS’s stake in the club.

Personally, I’d have taken the opportunity to put in a protection for good governance purposes to prevent Patrons from occupying all board seats. I would also still be seeking external investment to occupy the third stool to reduce reliance on the vagaries of fan donations.