The Falkirk FC Thread

34 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'm not sure what you expect though from our squad players. Better will cost more than Oliver. Oliver was basically a starter last season . This season he should be a squad player with a better starter brought in.  Your then improving the starting lineup and giving yourself better options on the bench.  Would be great if we could bring in a whole new first 11 and subs that are all better than what we had last season but that isn't realistic.

Agree with this.

Guys like Oliver and Nesbitt should be squad players next season and will be more than good enough for that role in this division.

Replacing them with better for the starting berths will be the real issue.

56 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'm not sure what you expect though from our squad players. Better will cost more than Oliver. Oliver was basically a starter last season . This season he should be a squad player with a better starter brought in.  Your then improving the starting lineup and giving yourself better options on the bench.  Would be great if we could bring in a whole new first 11 and subs that are all better than what we had last season but that isn't realistic.

It’s all about numbers for me. We’ll have 15 contracted as it stands for next season (assuming McGinn, Morrison and Oliver all re-sign) so very little room to retain players who will “do a job”.

If Oliver re signs it will just make me despise McGlynn even more. Hopefully he decides to move on, I can't see many takers for him. The fact Nesbitt got handed a two year deal would suggest he's going to be more than a squad player. If that were the case you'd have offered the p***k a one year deal and said take it or leave it, and I'd have been praying for the latter. 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I appreciate all of this, but as I’ve said before, I’m a bit worried about all this talk of lumping players who weren’t good enough last year into ‘squad players’ territory. You definitely need a few of them, but not everyone can passed off as this. There isn’t much unanimous agreement on this forum, but nearly every single poster is in agreement that we need to to improve the squad markedly if we’re to win the league next season. 

The club has said that we’re going to run a tighter squad. Yet, we’ve already got a decent number of the group of players who - while they looked decent in spells - shat the bed in the big moments already signed up. Some of these players *are* more than good enough to start and, I think, win this league - some aren’t. But if you’re running on extremely limited squad spaces, you’ve got to be savvy with who you keep and who you don’t. It’s why I think if the opportunity to get rid of folk like Oliver and put his wage elsewhere comes up, it should be used.

I appreciate I’m in the minority here but if I had to choose between Nesbitt and Oliver as squad players I would go Oliver. I know that ship has sailed, so for that reason I hope we release Oliver, as with a tight squad we can’t afford to have too many bench fillers.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Wrt Oliver and Nesbitt, I don’t think we necessarily need “better”. We need different. For me, Nesbitt should have been replaced by a direct physical presence. We don’t need to be entertained by a bunch of tricks and flicks that result in a loss of possession or a backward pass 90%  of the time.

Oliver is hamstrung by McGlynn’s lack of tactical ability (as are a good few others). It’s going to be interesting to see just how McGlynn and the players cope with the pressure that is going to be applied from the first game. No-one will be as readily taken in by the League Cup or Consolation Cup performances……..it’s league business that counts, nothing else.

The signing of Nesbitt (who virtually always kills any opportunity to break quickly) was near enough the perfect signal that nothing is going to change. McGlynn is going to dig himself a managerial fox hole, and try to tough it out by sticking to his outdated 4-2-3-1. Doubtless he will tinker with the midfield again, and it’s likely that he will make a complete pig’s ear of it (again).

As for the MacIver signing, I certainly don’t know enough about him to judge, other than it feeling for all the world like a standard L1 signing by a standard L1 side. There’s nothing about the signing that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, and there’s nothing about it that has me snapping my pencil either.

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

If Oliver re signs it will just make me despise McGlynn even more. Hopefully he decides to move on, I can't see many takers for him. The fact Nesbitt got handed a two year deal would suggest he's going to be more than a squad player. If that were the case you'd have offered the p***k a one year deal and said take it or leave it, and I'd have been praying for the latter. 

I’m not a massive fan of McGlynn’s style of football however to say you ‘despise’ him is a bit much. He comes across as a decent guy and lots of player at Falkirk and previous clubs speak highly of him.

Also, calling Nesbitt a ‘p***k’ - C’mon mate, that’s out of order. Whilst clearly he’s not the best player to ever don a Falkirk jersey his effort can’t be faulted.  Calling him that is well out of order.

16 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m not a massive fan of McGlynn’s style of football however to say you ‘despise’ him is a bit much. He comes across as a decent guy and lots of player at Falkirk and previous clubs speak highly of him.

Also, calling Nesbitt a ‘p***k’ - C’mon mate, that’s out of order. Whilst clearly he’s not the best player to ever don a Falkirk jersey his effort can’t be faulted.  Calling him that is well out of order.

The guy must have some serious anger issues to be dealing out personal insults to people he doesn’t even know 

34 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

That’s the nickname he has had for years.

Iv never heard it till some of the fifers started it after he made a small motion with his arms in an innocuous interview that somehow upset them. 

3 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I appreciate all of this, but as I’ve said before, I’m a bit worried about all this talk of lumping players who weren’t good enough last year into ‘squad players’ territory. You definitely need a few of them, but not everyone can passed off as this. There isn’t much unanimous agreement on this forum, but nearly every single poster is in agreement that we need to to improve the squad markedly if we’re to win the league next season. 

The club has said that we’re going to run a tighter squad. Yet, we’ve already got a decent number of the group of players who - while they looked decent in spells - shat the bed in the big moments already signed up. Some of these players *are* more than good enough to start and, I think, win this league - some aren’t. But if you’re running on extremely limited squad spaces, you’ve got to be savvy with who you keep and who you don’t. It’s why I think if the opportunity to get rid of folk like Oliver and put his wage elsewhere comes up, it should be used.

Alluded to this earlier, with the first team squad running with a tighter number, and if the likes of Oliver remain, McGlynn has a much narrower scope of bringing in players (better ones) unless some still under contract, are punted, hopefully that’s his plan………………,,,

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv never heard it till some of the fifers started it after he made a small motion with his arms in an innocuous interview that somehow upset them. 

He was flapping his arms about for the entire duration of post match interview. Deserved a bit of pish taking to be fair

The bit that still gets me is the tighter budget with no January financial grandstanding on the cards, and every single one of the signings being crucial, McGlynn’s first signing for next season was a two year deal for Nesbitt.

I still can’t get my head round that…….it’s a bizarre waste of funds. Agyeman…..again, I have precious little to go on, and same same for MacIver.

I suppose it’s a bit pointless ripping them or McGlynn until the season gets underway. It’s hard to imagine McGlynn not doing something really stupid, so for those that want them, there will be plenty of opportunities to rip him to pieces.

The support might well be split on whether to keep or remove McGlynn, but even the “keep” supporters are not calling it that way because they think McGlynn is a particularly good manager.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

Was asking my cousin who is an Alloa die hard about the young striker we signed.

He said he is unbelievable in the air, best header of a ball he has ever seen. Ideal to have a poacher playing off him. Allan would fit that bill but will McGlynn change his style?

He also said absolutely no chance he gets you 15-20 goals a season, time will tell.

5 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I agree, it’s the old adage, he may be a c**t but he’s our c**t so we should back him.

I won't. Stopped after the pathetic shitshow in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

He was flapping his arms about for the entire duration of post match interview. Deserved a bit of pish taking to be fair

It's more than one interview it's quite a lot if you watch them back 

4 hours ago, GeordieBairn said:

his effort can’t be faulted. 

So running about like a headless chicken then. Don't break out with his effort can't be faulted, that's a generalisation that could be aimed at just about every player. Nesbitt has, can and will go missing, he is not busting a gut unless it suits him. Don't doubt it. 

Edited by ebobsboy