The Falkirk FC Thread

10 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Meanwhile, we've spent 4 seasons fannying about in League 1. 

That's a very glass half empty attitude, you should always look to the future, with that in mind you should change your 4 to a 5.

😉

9 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Gary Oliver has all the attributes of a neat and tidy central midfielder or right back, sadly nobody has ever told him that and we’re stuck with him as a non-scoring striker 

I totally agree, maybe somebody needs to tell him that.

16 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Gary Oliver has all the attributes of a neat and tidy central midfielder or right back, sadly nobody has ever told him that and we’re stuck with him as a non-scoring striker 

Mind he started the season in midfield

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Mind he started the season in midfield

I think he could do a job sitting behind two strikers like in a 3-5-2 or a 5-3-2 but I can’t see McGlynn going with that. Probably best to move him on if it lets McGlynn bring in someone that fits better with his formations.

2 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I think he could do a job sitting behind two strikers like in a 3-5-2 or a 5-3-2 but I can’t see McGlynn going with that. Probably best to move him on if it lets McGlynn bring in someone that fits better with his formations.

I appreciate a lot of posters rate him and I’m in a minority but I don’t rate him at all. His work rate cannot be questioned admittedly but if we have any aspirations at all of eventually winning this league then we need much better players than Oliver.

His goals return of 6 in the league quite frankly isn’t good enough for Falkirk in League 1 and his much lauded link up play resulted in a paltry 3 assists.

We need better and given MacIvor hasn’t been signed to give us 20 goals a season we can’t have both in the squad given the squad size is reducing.

9 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I agree with letting him move on. He filled in as the lone striker, but he just falls short of the attributes needed. He was almost able to do the hold up/physical play required but just not quite. 

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I agree with letting him move on. He filled in as the lone striker, but he just falls short of the attributes needed. He was almost able to do the hold up/physical play required but just not quite. 

He didn’t ‘just fall short’ though - he was miles short.

To put things into perspective, he had the same goals and assists record in the league as Connor Sammon had for us in the 19/20 season but played 9 games more - that’s was a shocking return for a Falkirk centre forward in League 1 in 19/20 and it’s just as shocking in 22/23.

11 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He didn’t ‘just fall short’ though - he was miles short.

To put things into perspective, he had the same goals and assists record in the league as Connor Sammon had for us in the 19/20 season but played 9 games more - that’s was a shocking return for a Falkirk centre forward in League 1 in 19/20 and it’s just as shocking in 22/23.

We were the second highest goalscorers in the league playing with 1 up front almost all season. Its not necessary for that 1 up front to do all the scoring. Of the areas in which Oliver fell short in terms of the position he was asked to play, goals scored isn't the primary concern for me. 

It's all very well and good saying he can play a few positions but in reality he's never better than a 7/10 in any of those positions so for me there's no point having him there.

Edited by FFC 1876

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We were the second highest goalscorers in the league playing with 1 up front almost all season. Its not necessary for that 1 up front to do all the scoring. Of the areas in which Oliver fell short in terms of the position he was asked to play, goals scored isn't the primary concern for me. 

Respect your opinion mate but don’t agree with you. He’s not good enough to be our striker if we want to go up. 6 league goals for our main striker is absolutely a primary concern for me.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

Guest Ecosse83
41 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I appreciate a lot of posters rate him and I’m in a minority but I don’t rate him at all. His work rate cannot be questioned admittedly but if we have any aspirations at all of eventually winning this league then we need much better players than Oliver.

His goals return of 6 in the league quite frankly isn’t good enough for Falkirk in League 1 and his much lauded link up play resulted in a paltry 3 assists.

We need better and given MacIvor hasn’t been signed to give us 20 goals a season we can’t have both in the squad given the squad size is reducing.

Aye I agree those stats aren’t good enough. If the option is there to move him on then for me it has to be done. He seems a nice guy and does give his all but we can do better. 

I actually think Mcglynn might change the formation next season which might suit Oliver more so it wouldn’t be a surprise if we keep him. 

Guest Ecosse83
3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Oliver is okay as a squad player that can cover a number of positions but he should not be starting regularly.

That’s why I’d rather we let him go, bring someone else in who should be a starter, maybe another decent loan. 

Oliver is an okay footballer, but he’s one that if he’s out of contract should be moved on to bring in someone of higher quality. In a season that is being billed as make-or-break, there’s no room for sentimentality, old pals acts or keeping players on purely because they ‘work hard’. If we’re going to win the league, we need better and his is a wage that could be used in to bring in just that. If he’s kept, it would ring a few alarm bells for me, I’m afraid.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Respect your opinion mate but don’t agree with you. He’s not good enough to be our striker if we want to go up. 6 league goals for our main striker is absolutely a primary concern for me.

I've literally just said several times I don't think hes good enough and should be moved on. But the lack of goals isnt the main reason why hes not good enough. It is fairly frequent for main strikers in the mdoern 1 up front systems not to be prolific goalscorers. Its nice if they are, but its not neccesarily an issue if they aren't, if they are doing their other jobs well. I dont expect Ross McIver to be our top scorer for one secind, yet I think he will do ok for us. 

15 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

That’s why I’d rather we let him go, bring someone else in who should be a starter, maybe another decent loan. 

We should be doing that anyway. He goes on the bench replacing one of the freed players after starting majority of games last season and someone better replaces him as the starter. We should be doing that in as many positions as possible. We're going to have a smaller squad so you need players that can play in a variety of positions. Im not sure we can hope for a lot more quality in our bench warmers than the likes of Oliver given we're in league one.

17 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Oliver is an okay footballer, but he’s one that if he’s out of contract should be moved on to bring in someone of higher quality. In a season that is being billed as make-or-break, there’s no room for sentimentality, old pals acts or keeping players on purely because they ‘work hard’. If we’re going to win the league, we need better and his is a wage that could be used in to bring in just that. If he’s kept, it would ring a few alarm bells for me, I’m afraid.

This. Why the signing of Maciver scares me. 

13 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I'm not sure what you expect though from our squad players. Better will cost more than Oliver. Oliver was basically a starter last season . This season he should be a squad player with a better starter brought in.  Your then improving the starting lineup and giving yourself better options on the bench.  Would be great if we could bring in a whole new first 11 and subs that are all better than what we had last season but that isn't realistic.