The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83
2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't have anything to back up what I'm about to say, but thankfully there's no way you have anything to contradict it.....

Here goes then. 

Is it f**k, a rare occurrence that football players improve their game at the age of 24.

Of course it’s rare for a striker to improve the way Dykes did at 24 😂

Gjve me some examples of players in league 1 at 24 that went on to improve the way Dykes did and I’ll be proved wrong 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Of course it’s rare for a striker to improve the way Dykes did at 24 😂

Gjve me some examples of players in league 1 at 24 that went on to improve the way Dykes did and I’ll be proved wrong 🤷‍♂️

Hold on, you've popped some new caveats in there mate

59 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Some posters on here get slaughtered if we dare call ourselves a big club in this division but it’s now ok for you to use the fact we are a big club in relative terms so you can shove our recent failures down our throats ? I give up man! 🤷‍♂️

Of course it's ok.  In fact it's the entire point.

If Falkirk was punching at its weight, they'd just be another club going for promotion and coming up short.

I don't slaughter anyone for saying Falkirk is a very big club in the 3rd tier.  I say it all the time myself.

Obviously, it's all based on merit and no club comes with divine rights.  None of that alters the undeniable fact, however, that Falkirk has been a massive underachiever in recent years.

That's why we're interested Guys.  This is not complicated stuff.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Hold on, you've popped some new caveats in there mate

Of course I have I’m trying to win an argument 😂

Ok just in general then strikers that had barely scored at 24 and went onto a really good career? Either scoring loads of goals or improving from 3rd tier up the divisions but not necessarily scoring goals. 

I’m sure there will be a good few, genuinely interested in naming them now 😂

Just now, Ecosse83 said:

Ok just in general then strikers that had barely scored at 24 and went onto a really good career? Either scoring loads of goals or improving from 3rd tier up the divisions but not necessarily scoring goals. 

I don't have a list of such stats. What I do know is that age is fairly arbitrary when you consider the various things that can and will have contributed to the story of MCIvers career so far, and what will affect him going forward. Theres absolutely no reason, physically or mentally why the age of 24 should represent some sort of barrier to improvement. Far more important is his attitude/application/willingness to learn

Guest Ecosse83
Just now, Bairnardo said:

I don't have a list of such stats. What I do know is that age is fairly arbitrary when you consider the various things that can and will have contributed to the story of MCIvers career so far, and what will affect him going forward. Theres absolutely no reason, physically or mentally why the age of 24 should represent some sort of barrier to improvement. Far more important is his attitude/application/willingness to learn

I agree but it’s the lack of goals in his career that worries me especially with mcglynns 1 up top. If we have 1 main striker that can’t get double figures we’re going to struggle.  That’s my worry. 

And I know strikers that score goals are really hard to come by so it’s a tough one for us. 

4 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

I agree but it’s the lack of goals in his career that worries me especially with mcglynns 1 up top. If we have 1 main striker that can’t get double figures we’re going to struggle.  That’s my worry. 

And I know strikers that score goals are really hard to come by so it’s a tough one for us. 

My concern is the entire jigsaw. If McGlynn doesn't deliver a team that can score goals, it won't be Ross McIvers fault. He's been signed to be that big physical presence up front. I expect if our team is anything like last season hel get his fair share of goals because a big guy in the box would have scored goals for us last season. 

I wanted a big physical guy to sign to play up top. Gary Oliver was a few inches and a bit of presence away from working up there but he just wasn't quite the right guy. McIver seems a better fit and for me we would have fared better post January with a McIver type there rather than Oliver. 

That's why I'm not hugely concerned 

20 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

While the going up the divisions isn't relevant in this example Calum Gallagher joined us at 24 and his goals per game significantly improved after this point. His previous best being 1 in every 4 a bit at Dumbarton to one in just over 2 with us.

Edited by cb_diamond

I think it's fine to say that we found the signing a bit underwhelming, but that's a bit different to a 5 page dialogue about whether or not he's good enough before he's even pulled on the shirt. Give the boy a chance ffs.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

This “give the boy a chance, he’s not put the jersey on yet” doesn’t really work. 

If a guy turned up to Falkirk who’d spent 10 years at the Shire and was released for not being good enough, then I wouldn’t need to wait to see how they play for Falkirk to know he’s way off the mark.

4 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

This “give the boy a chance, he’s not put the jersey on yet” doesn’t really work. 

If a guy turned up to Falkirk who’d spent 10 years at the Shire and was released for not being good enough, then I wouldn’t need to wait to see how they play for Falkirk to know he’s way off the mark.

And yet, thats not the situation we're in, and so actually, its totally irrelevant and this “give the boy a chance, he’s not put the jersey on yet” does work. 

Guest Ecosse83
11 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I think it's fine to say that we found the signing a bit underwhelming, but that's a bit different to a 5 page dialogue about how whether or not he's good enough before he's even pulled on the shirt. Give the boy a chance ffs.

I’ll give him a chance at the games for sure, if he turns out to be poor I certainly won’t be giving him abuse from the stands. This is a football forum and I’m allowed to give my opinion. 

Im actually one of they fans that when we make a signing I always try and find the positives but this one has really got to me for some reason. It just feels like a bang average League 1 signing, I hope my gut is truly wrong on this one. 

Edited by Ecosse83

44 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

My concern is the entire jigsaw. If McGlynn doesn't deliver a team that can score goals, it won't be Ross McIvers fault. He's been signed to be that big physical presence up front. I expect if our team is anything like last season hel get his fair share of goals because a big guy in the box would have scored goals for us last season. 

I wanted a big physical guy to sign to play up top. Gary Oliver was a few inches and a bit of presence away from working up there but he just wasn't quite the right guy. McIver seems a better fit and for me we would have fared better post January with a McIver type there rather than Oliver. 

That's why I'm not hugely concerned 

He's solid enough and great in the air but I wouldn't say he's a typical target man or battering ram style striker, he isn't exceptionally tall. His real strength is linking up with a quick partner. Have a look at the second half here against Montrose last season where he gets 3 assists for Euan Henderson. This was a particularly good day for him and against a weakened Montrose team but shows what he is capable of. This and a fine ability to find teammates with flick ons. Hope he gets a fair chance at Falkirk, he is a hard working player. 

2 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

At the end of the day, we’ve weakened a potential rival as well. Just let’s see what he does for us.

That's debatable for the simple reason that MacIver and Sammon didn't really work well together as a pair and Sammon was our top scorer. With a more suitable partner we might actually end up stronger. Time will tell on that. 

46 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And yet, thats not the situation we're in, and so actually, its totally irrelevant and this “give the boy a chance, he’s not put the jersey on yet” does work. 

You’re missing the point, we know what we’re getting with Maciver so no point speculating to what level he’ll reach with us. He’s also 24, not 18. 
I’m also not just talking about this signing. Some fans were saying the same stuff when we signed Gary Holt’s son, a boy who was never ever going to be close to full-time. Our fans have complete false optimism with signings that are underwhelming to rotten.