The Falkirk FC Thread

If you're looking for any positives with McIver, he's not long turned 24 but has a decent amount of minutes at this level and above, so hopefully room for improvement. My initial reaction was that it was quite uninspiring but I'll give the guy a chance.

5 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Looks like the plan is to sign players who have been full time before, but dropped out and performed well at part time level. Guys with something to prove

It's definitely a more worthy strategy than chucking money at names who've played in the championship for the majority of their career ala Mcguffie, Brad Mckay, Gary Oliver etc

21 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

The 2 year deal and the timing of it were both strange. I don't imagine many clubs were challenging for his signature and given his time at us it's unlikely to be the case another year down the line. 1 year deal as a squad player or let him walk imo.

Yeah, was there a possibility that he'd have turned down a 1 year deal? I sincerely doubt it. 

8 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

It's definitely a more worthy strategy than chucking money at names who've played in the championship for the majority of their career ala Mcguffie, Brad Mckay, Gary Oliver etc

Exactly this, and yet still we have folk poring over stats to shitcan the boy... If there one thing McIver isn't, its more of the same shit we're all sick of wathcing. It will work or it won't, but its quite literally the type of change our fans have clamoured for.

I think as a fanbase we are too quick to write signings off, maybe down to 4/5 years of shite recruitment. I’ll give any new signing a chance before condemning them to the waste bin, we have to mind we’re going into our 5th season in League One and financially aren’t in a great place. The 2yr deal for Nesbitt was a strange one but McGlynn clearly likes him.

@Van_damage

Are you still actively involved with FSS? 

"The FSS Committee can be found pre-match in the Main and South Stands ahead of each game. You can easily spot us with the new “pop-up banners” to allow you to sign-up or to raise any issues for our 2 Fans’ Directors to take direct to the Boardroom.

Well, no fitba for the next couple of months so may I use this forum to ask why we are apparently doling out 2 year deals willy nilly?

Thanks in anticipation.

Some folk's reaction to the signing has been mental.

Several of our 'marquee' transfers over the years such as Alston, Loy, Griffiths etc have been real let-downs.

Compare that with guys who have been plucked from absolutely no where such as Leahy, Vaulks, Taylor & Farid who made massive impacts.

Will very much be waiting to see what MacIver does in a Falkirk jersey before any judgement on my part. Just being physical and trying like f**k are two areas we have been sorely lacking in over the last few seasons.

As said maybe it’s the previous four years of abhorrent shite that we are now tainted. I don’t think there’s any supporters that don’t won’t any new players not to do well, however (and I don’t mind eating my words if wrong) we don’t seem to learn from our mistakes. So far there’s been a couple of new deals to new players that for me look bang average, and rewarding another bang average player with two years. Bang average doesn’t get you out this league and I wait with some concern to see who else comes in. McGlynn might have Arfield and a few others that are better than average lined up, so I reserve judgement to see what he assembles as a first team squad.

Some people think with our fife neighbours and Airdrie away this will be an easy league…..at our peril…….

Guest Ecosse83
16 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Several of our 'marquee' transfers over the years such as Alston, Loy, Griffiths etc have been real let-downs.

Compare that with guys who have been plucked from absolutely no where such as Leahy, Vaulks, Taylor & Farid who made massive impacts.

Will very much be waiting to see what MacIver does in a Falkirk jersey before any judgement on my part. Just being physical and trying like f**k are two areas we have been sorely lacking in over the last few seasons.

f**k sake mate the 4 you mentioned didn’t come from Alloa after a bang average season. Just read the Alloa thread they really aren’t fussed about losing him. 

If it was a year with an option of another year I wouldn’t be as worried but we could be stuck with an absolute bang average player, if this was Holt there would be a few on here going mental! 

He’s had 11 goal contributions in League 1 for a team that finished in the play offs, Morrison had 25 goal contributions yet some on here want us to get rid, the mind boggles! 

Edited by Ecosse83

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

As said maybe it’s the previous four years of abhorrent shite that we are now tainted. I don’t think there’s any supporters that don’t won’t any new players not to do well, however (and I don’t mind eating my words if wrong) we don’t seem to learn from our mistakes. So far there’s been a couple of new deals to new players that for me look bang average, and rewarding another bang average player with two years. Bang average doesn’t get you out this league and I wait with some concern to see who else comes in. McGlynn might have Arfield and a few others that are better than average lined up, so I reserve judgement to see what he assembles as a first team squad.

Some people think with our fife neighbours and Airdrie away this will be an easy league…..at our peril…….

Surely there are no Falkirk fans left that think any season in L1 is going to be easy, if there are then they are nuts and need to learn from the previous 4 years.

8 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

f**k sake mate the 4 you mentioned didn’t come from Alloa after a bang average season. Just read the Alloa thread they really aren’t fussed about losing him. 

If it was a year with an option of another year I wouldn’t be as worried but we could be stuck with an absolute bang average player, if this was Holt there would be a few on here going mental! 

He’s had 10 goal contributions in League 1 for a team that finished in the play offs, Morrison had 27 goal contributions yet some on here want us to get rid, the mind boggles! 

Ive seen plenty of comments saying they like him a lot and others being sad he's leaving. 

We were happy to see the back of Hetherington and he's went on to do well at Arbroath.

Just writing off players instantly is ridiculous.

Guest Ecosse83
2 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Decent by the lad

Aye decent goal. I remember scoring one like that when I was 14, I done f**k all the rest of the season though because I was shit! 

4 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Decent by the lad

I see your Ross MacIver and raise you Craig McGuffie. Even poor players can score good goals. I'm not saying that MacIver is poor but his stats suggest that he is not prolific which worries me. And he got a 2 year deal so we can't get rid after a year if he is poor.

With the way McGlynn plays we need a big physical presence up top, just look at how much we struggled when Alegria left in January.

MacIver was the best striker in the league at winning aerial duels. He should also help defending set pieces and we were honking at that last season. 

McGlynn said in one of his post Airdrie games how many crosses have we put in this season with nobody getting on the end of them. So this signing isn't a surprise at all.

24 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

couldn't agree more, Far too much a sensible post this sort of post shouldn't be tolerated. hang your head in shame for not ridiculing the lad or demanding we sign Messi