The Falkirk FC Thread

35 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

And how  in league one are we going to get a striker thats clearly  a real step up in quality.  It just ain't going to happen I'm afraid.  Whoever comes in will have a shit record . The management will just have seen something they can improve on simple as that.

A step up in quality from the likes of MacIver? I'd like to think McGlynn will manage it.

31 minutes ago, Springfield said:

We have more than half a team from last years failures, likely to get starting slots this season.

We simply do not and cannot know if that is the case. It's not even June yet. Far, far too early. For all the focus on incomings, I think outgoings will be every bit as crucial. In terms of McGinn, Morrison and Oliver, I would not lose a minute's sleep at all three being moved on to free up funds to be used on new signings (if that option is indeed available to the club). If they are all still around then I'd share the concern that we are heading into a crucial season with a significant chunk of players who have proven themselves unable to cope with playing for Falkirk in League One, who cannot win any game of football that matters, who crumble at the first sign of pressure. But we're not there yet, nowhere near.

And in addition to the above, I've also got to believe that McGlynn will have informed some of the current under-contract players that their career prospects would be best served by them and their agents testing the market for an alternative employer. In that category, look no further than the pair of utter clowns masquerading as central defenders. Getting rid of these two would be as good a bit of business as we'll do all summer.

There's loads to happen yet I think.

21 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

A step up in quality from the likes of MacIver? I'd like to think McGlynn will manage it.

What we need is bigger guys who can dish the dirt . I have had enough of prancing lightweight midgets  being tossed aside by the opposition .MacIver is strong & awkward and will create opportunities for others .Now we need a bruiser centre half and a a centre mid who can leave his studs in where it hurts. We have enough football players already and IMO this signing is a step in the right direction at redressing the balance between ball players and brute strength that cost is everything last year . 

4 minutes ago, Trump said:

Reflecting on this, wonder if we had similar reaction to Dowds signing. A hardly prolific striker playing at part time level in this league. 

From my memory he was received fairly positively as he’d shown to be a good player from the showings he had against us. Willing to give MacIver the same opportunity, unfair to make judgments on new signings before they’ve kicked a ball for the club. While underwhelming to many, I hope the lad does well.

8 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

What we need is bigger guys who can dish the dirt . I have had enough of prancing lightweight midgets  being tossed aside by the opposition .MacIver is strong & awkward and will create opportunities for others .Now we need a bruiser centre half and a a centre mid who can leave his studs in where it hurts. We have enough football players already and IMO this signing is a step in the right direction at redressing the balance between ball players and brute strength that cost is everything last year . 

Centre mid who can leave his studs in hahaha fucking hell fire, footballs moved on a bit since the 80s.

Whilst we need new players we also need a bit of  continuity in the side.  We arent going to have a whole new 11 for a start. Some players just need better players beside them.  An experienced keeper.A leader at the back. A decent right back and more dig beside mcginn in the middle and we're looking better already.  I'd expect any other striker will more than likely be a loan deal.

4 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Centre mid who can leave his studs in hahaha fucking hell fire, footballs moved on a bit since the 80s.

Hasn't really. You still get lots of  players even at top level like casemiro or rodri for example who can leave the boot in where required. 

17 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

I'd be stunned if MacIver was being brought in to be a main striker, that would be pretty worrying for Falkirk.

However I do think it's a good move having an option like that on the bench. Thinking back to the play-off 2nd leg, Falkirk must have put about 50 crosses/long balls into the box and they won virtually none of them. It's not even as if we had 2 giants at the back, Fordyce is great in the air but is barely 6 ft and Rhys McCabe is about 5 ft 9, yet they dealt with it so easily. I'd imagine it's a regular occurrence at home games that teams will just sit in and head balls away all day long because there is no aerial threat. Having someone who can at least cause some disruption in these types of games will certainly help.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

And how  in league one are we going to get a striker thats clearly  a real step up in quality.  It just ain't going to happen I'm afraid.  Whoever comes in will have a shit record . The management will just have seen something they can improve on simple as that.

Well Dunfermline recruited pretty well up front last season. The players they released like O’Hara and Todorov are way better than what we have currently. Buying a guy who Alloa aren’t even that fussed to lose doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence. 

5 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Hasn't really. You still get lots of  players even at top level like casemiro or rodri for example who can leave the boot in where required. 

Well no, they're world class footballers.

1 minute ago, Balde Bairn said:

Well Dunfermline recruited pretty well up front last season. The players they released like O’Hara and Todorov are way better than what we have currently. Buying a guy who Alloa aren’t even that fussed to lose doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence. 

Dunfermline didn't make many signings at all last season as Mcpake improved the players they had and found a system to get the best out them. They had O'Hara, Todorov, Mccann & Wighton already signed up when they came down.

12 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Dumfries must be nearly  45 mins to an hour closer to Stranraer than Falkirk for a start.

Half an hour tops, but we train in Hamilton.  

Being closer to Glasgow and Edinburgh airports would give a bigger advantage, particularly to Paton's part of Ireland.

6 hours ago, RC_Bairn said:

Dishing out two year deals when there's a real possibility that we'll be hybrid or part time in 24/25 is mad.  Holt rightly got criticised for handing out 2 and 3 year deals but now we're just repeating the same mistakes.  I'm all for the manager getting freedom to sign the players but should he really be tieing the club's hands for future seasons when there's doubt over our full-time status and whether he'll still be in a job in 24/25.

Surely it depends what, if any, conditions are built into their deals