The Falkirk FC Thread

27 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

If Airdrie hadn't gone up I'd have been after Gallagher. And if we had pushed the boat out for a few more quid  we could have got Paton from Stranraer before he signed for QoS as it was mooted we were in for him but couldn't agree a fee. Grant Savoury another decent player who was at Peterhead just to get games who then went to Queens Park, there are players in this league but we always seem to be on the backfoot watching these guys sign elsewhere

Paton wanted to play in the championship and queen's suited him for getting too and from Ireland better. Savoury we were after but queen's park blew us and a number of other clubs out the water on wages. Gallagher part time so you'd need to be able to match his two wages. 

I know McGlynn looks very closely at the stats before signing so I am a bit surprised at this signing. Very low conversion of shots to goals ratio at 11%, only scored 1 goal approx every 5 games for a team that finished in the play off positions and scored a decent amount of goals. In the same side Sammon scored 3x as many goals as he did, and we shipped him out for not being good enough. I've watched Alloa a few times this season and not really noticed him so again I'd be concerned if he is our main striker next season.

I'm not convinced the step from PT to Full Time will improve his finishing as the Alloa guys have alluded to either.

Anyhow, like everyone else I hope McGlynn has seen something he can leverage that the stats haven't shown. If he is a like for like replacement for Wright and is a "squad" addition then he's already an improvement.

13 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Barry Smith Signed Nisbet 

Whoever it was they took a chance on him and it paid off. At our level that's the best chance you've got as it's almost impossible to bring in a player with a great record.

No doubt we’ll hear soon on who else is leaving. Really surprised with todays signing as thought we’d be approaching players with better qualities and players that are proven at this level. Got to be honest and unless McGlynn got a few good signings still to come, struggling to fully understand some of Swinney’s comments when interviewed and the BODs statement. This is a critical close season/season for the club, and todays signing throws more questions on why we’d gamble on a player that’s been PT and take into FT football. 

Pretty underwhelming signing for me if I’m honest. All for signing part time guys with the potential to step up but not sure this is one of them.

I will say we’re going to be stuck with a good number of bang average players on extended contracts either if either McGlynn gets us promoted or we end up as a part time league 1 side next year.

26 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I could probably get on board with MacIver as an Oliver replacement but that would still require one more striker to come in who is a real step up in quality.

And how  in league one are we going to get a striker thats clearly  a real step up in quality.  It just ain't going to happen I'm afraid.  Whoever comes in will have a shit record . The management will just have seen something they can improve on simple as that.

Guest Ecosse83

Signing up Nesbitt on a 2 year deal before we even knew what league we were in next season now this signing…. Mcglynn is really worrying me! 

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

And how  in league one are we going to get a striker thats clearly  a real step up in quality.  It just ain't going to happen I'm afraid.  Whoever comes in will have a shit record . The management will just have seen something they can improve on simple as that.

McManus had a good record in league 1 when he was signed 

8 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Pretty underwhelming signing for me if I’m honest. All for signing part time guys with the potential to step up but not sure this is one of them.

I will say we’re going to be stuck with a good number of bang average players on extended contracts either if either McGlynn gets us promoted or we end up as a part time league 1 side next year.

We have more than half a team from last years failures, likely to get starting slots this season. We’ve announced two new signings that may get starting berths, depending on McGlynns set up. Just hope McGlynns got a few good players ready to come in.

12 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Yep, because excluding apprentices we'll have four players who'll be under contract after the end of next season. Ross MacIver, Aidan Nesbit, Alfie Agyeman and Jordan Allan. Four players out of a squad which will probably be around 20. 

A fifth of the squad is indeed a good number of players. 

19 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

McManus had a good record in league 1 when he was signed .

One season six years previously mind you. His record since then had been very poor which is why we managed to get him in.  I remember folk moaning on here as he hadn't hit double figures in any season since that one with Morton. Your still not signing someone whose you can guarantee will be of a real step up in quality. We got him and it worked out but if he'd been banging the goals in in previous seasons to him joining us we wouldn't have had a chance.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Paton wanted to play in the championship and queen's suited him for getting too and from Ireland better. 

I fail to see how playing with us made getting to and from Ireland significantly easier.