The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83
36 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I thought he was Alloa’s best player last season. At least he is someone who has taken a step back to get games and deserves another crack at FT. As others have said a good foil for Jordan. We have to add goals to his game though. 

Rubbish, absolute rubbish! 

Edited by Ecosse83

8 minutes ago, Waspie said:

He wasn't anywhere near our best player. Indeed there were some fans on our thread who were saying he wasn't worth a new deal at all. It didn't help that he was often played with Sammon given they don't work as a pair and Sammon was scoring and MacIver wasn't. 

I liked him. His link up and positional play are good and the right partner will benefit from his flick ons. For someone who isn't really tall he is excellent in the air and he should shoot from distance more as he can really hit them. In fact I'd be more confident about him scoring if the ball fell to him 25 yards out than if he was one on one with the keeper. That composure is hard to learn and as such I wouldn't expect Falkirk to be adding a whole lot of goals to his game. 

Ultimately if I was a Falkirk fan this isn't a signing I would be particularly happy about and really I think you probably need better, particularly when it's a two year deal. But the key would be recognising what he is good at rather than getting frustrated about what he won't bring to the team. In that light and with the right men around him (potentially a very good partner for a quick finisher) then he is well capable of being effective. 

For me he was second best equal with Stanger, behind Taggs. Scougs and LD were better when they played, but didn't complete enough minutes IMO to be more valuable over the season.

I think we can complete dismiss any views that he wasn't worth a new deal.

Edited by printer

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Alegria couldn't score goals either before he joined us though. Partick fans said he was shit.

I'm aware of that but he had nowhere near the first team appearances MacIver has had. 102 appearances and 15 goals if I'm right.  To me that's very shit. Now if Pingu is confident he can improve on that then crack on. 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Fair play. We should abandon targeting part time players in the current league to step up to FT and instead focus on Full timers willing to drop to this level who have bags of first team experience already. That should work a treat 

I get the feeling you don't like me - just pointing out that you're hoping to improve a player that has been full time for 3/4 years then dropped to part-time and just met expectations. Raising expectations of what they are capable of may lead to disappointment.

Not a bad strategy, for instance, I'm waiting to see where John Robertson from Edinburgh ends up as I was very impressed with him and would've thought he'd been a prime candidate for PT players stepping up to full-time.

1 minute ago, LeodhasXD said:

I get the feeling you don't like me - just pointing out that you're hoping to improve a player that has been full time for 3/4 years then dropped to part-time and just met expectations. Raising expectations of what they are capable of may lead to disappointment.

Not a bad strategy, for instance, I'm waiting to see where John Robertson from Edinburgh ends up as I was very impressed with him and would've thought he'd been a prime candidate for PT players stepping up to full-time.

No mate, not at all. Apologies if it came over personal. I don't really have too much in the way of expectation. But what I do know is I want McGlynn to build a much more physical team. I also want McGlynn not to sign any more Championship drop down wage thieves on their last FT gig. That's what's kept us in this league by and large. 

5 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

See Robertson looked rotten against us, I expected to see a lot more from him especially given he had a failed trial at us before signing with Edinburgh so thought he'd have a bit of fire in his belly to prove us wrong.

Edited by FFC 1876

How many strikers with pdecent previous goal scoring records have we signed since we got relegated from the top flight? Deuchar who was shit, Baird who was decent, Griffiths who was shit, Tam McManus was decent, lee miller was decent, Austin one and a bit decent seasons for east Fife turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag with us. 

That's not very many and only one in league one. You just aren't going to get guys with good goal scoring records to sign for you in league one. You need to uncover a gem . Christ even in the championship you'll struggle.

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

See Robertson looked rotten against us, I expected to see a lot more from him especially given he had a failed trial at us before signing with Edinburgh.

He was rotten when he played preseason for us too. Says it all when Jaime Wilson was signed instead.

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

How many strikers with pdecent previous goal scoring records have we signed since we got relegated from the top flight? Deuchar who was shit, Baird who was decent, Griffiths who was shit, Tam McManus was decent, lee miller was decent, Austin one and a bit decent seasons for east Fife turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag with us. 

That's not very many and only one in league one. You just aren't going to get guys with good goal scoring records to sign for you in league one. You need to uncover a gem . Christ even in the championship you'll struggle.

Yeah. You ideally need to try and catch someone's breakout season. 

2 minutes ago, printer said:

For me he was second equal with Stanger behind Taggs. Scougs and LD were better when they played, but didn't complete enough minutes IMO to be more valuable over the season.

Taggart was clearly our Player of the Year by a long way. I'd have had Stanger second by a bit too. After that MacIver probably a contender as one of a few who played enough games and contributed consistently. I wouldn't have considered him as a genuine contender for the award though. If we're talking about Alloa's "best player", which to me is a bit different, he wouldn't be anywhere near. 

That all sounds negative which wasn't my intention as I like him and feel he can be effective, just very strongly disagree with the suggestion he was our best player! 

If Airdrie hadn't gone up I'd have been after Gallagher. And if we had pushed the boat out for a few more quid  we could have got Paton from Stranraer before he signed for QoS as it was mooted we were in for him but couldn't agree a fee. Grant Savoury another decent player who was at Peterhead just to get games who then went to Queens Park, there are players in this league but we always seem to be on the backfoot watching these guys sign elsewhere

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

So you're telling me there's a chance Gary Oliver might be gone?

I honestly have no idea what's happening with him or the other two who were announced as having options for a second year. If I had I wouldn't be able to comment. 

I don't think he's gone - if he were the club would have said so - but my guess is that they're all weighing up their options before deciding what to do next. 

A example of that was John Baird. He was entitled to another year at Falkirk, because he'd met the number of appearances that triggered an extension offer. On 22nd June 2017 Inverness announced that he'd chosen to sign for them.  So depending on whether an offer has an expiry date, you could be waiting a while yet before you get your answer. 

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

Guest Ecosse83
5 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Mcglynn did exactly that with  Kevin nisbet took a chance on him and look where he is now

Seriously comparing Nisbet to our new signing who has already played loads of games at this level, deary me! 

6 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Mcglynn did exactly that with  Kevin nisbet took a chance on him and look where he is now

No he didn’t, Barry Smith signed him. He had already scored 8 in 8 games for us when McGlynn took over.

9 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Always surprised me that Nisbet took so long to make a breakthrough.

Connor Park and I used to cover all the U20 games and every year we'd watch him play against our kids, run them ragged and yet he couldn't get near the Partick first team. His talent was obvious in every game I saw him play against us.