The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83

Holy f**k is that the level of signings g we are going to be getting? He was bloody rank for Alloa when I seen him. Mcglynn is going to kill us! 

I've copied what I said re McIver on the Alloa thread:

"That's an interesting signing for Falkirk. I was just saying to a Falkirk supporting friend of mine this morning that I would rather have Ross McIver up front as my main man than either LD or Big Sammo (not that I don't appreciate what they bring, I do).

It appears John McGlynn shares my view.

I hope Ross does really well at TFS (I always hope young players moving on from Alloa succeed), he's a cleverer player than he is given credit for IMO, and works very hard.

I think talk of McGlynn paring him with another striker up front may well prove wide of the mark (although I'm sure that will happen occasionally). I think he's more likely to be a sole front man with three winger/attacking midfielder types playing off him in the 4-2-3-1 formation. 

Clearly his weakness is finishing. He's just not a natural finisher and consequently his goals return ratio is poor. This could certainly count against him with the Falkirk fan base.

FWIW I think that there are technical weaknesses with his finishing that could be improved; e.g. his body angle and ball position when he's having a shot in the box. If those weaknesses are worked on and practised then I can see his scoring rate improving."

Guest Ecosse83
3 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Thought he was decent against us

Standards are dropping seriously low for us now if that’s decent! 

Seriously bloody worried now

Edited by Ecosse83

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

18/19 was pre-Hendry Raith, and JMcG hadn’t yet converted to the 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1 or variants style of play. When he got Hendry really into the team (in 18/19, Hendry only played about 4 matches for us) he moved to using things like midfield/attacking diamonds, and then onto using a deep lying defensive midfielder to connect the two midfielders, two wingers and single forward to the defenders while playing the ball out from the back.

JMcG’s success was heavily dependent upon Hendry playing that number 6 role, and he attempted to plug Tait into a more attacking version that role when Regan left (only to have him sold off). He then had the season implode, and tried to fall back on Spencer in a role he wasn’t as suited to when he finally returned from injury.

If you want success with McGlynn ball, you NEED a skilled number 6. You find that, and the whole team will suddenly look miles better (duh)…without that, JMcG’s teams tend to play a disjointed style that showcases plenty of pretty passing and moving the ball around, only to see it implode when faced with a press or when a pass gets misplayed and the opposition streams forward on the counter. If Nesbitt has been playing a 6 for Falkirk, given your opinions of him, that would explain much.

Thanks for this analysis, as we all try to understand McGlynn’s preferred playing style.

Our No. 6 (defensive midfield role, linking defence and midfield) this past season was Stephen McGinn.

Against the better sides, too often this resorted to a pass to a wide-ish centre back who then tried to find a striker …..

Edited by HonestAl

1 hour ago, RC_Bairn said:

So you must have supported the two year deal for Hetherington given he was PT?

The problem is he turned out to be utter dross that's the issue here not the length of the deal.  Will be the same for agyeman and MacIver. Mcglynns recruitment last year was ten times better than the last few years where we signed one dud after another. If agyeman and MacIver turn out great then it's not an issue for me giving them two year deals . The manager like any other will live or die on the players he brings in. 

Whilst I don't think MacIver's a world beater some of the comments on here are a bit over the top. Have a look how much he's involved in the below highlights, creates the Alloa goal out of nothing and is unlucky not to grab one of his own in the second half. 

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

The problem is he turned out to be utter dross that's the issue here not the length of the deal.  Will be the same for agyeman and MacIver. Mcglynns recruitment last year was ten times better than the last few years where we signed one dud after another. If agyeman and MacIver turn out great then it's not an issue for me giving them two year deals . The manager like any other will live or die on the players he brings in. 

He's half dead already to me. 

5 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Very underwhelming signing tbh. His goals record is ganting. If we had to bring a big haddy striker from Alloa you'd have been aswell bringing Sammon back. 

MacIver wins balls in the air though sammon wins feck all.

Airfields interview earlier with Glasgow Herald, if the last sentence wasn’t of interest to the BOD, I’d be truly worried. Yes he’s probably got every team in the two divisions interested, but hope we’ve reached out, as said it costs nothing to ask.

And Arfield is hoping to continue playing beyond his time at Ibrox as he opened up on his plans to play until he is 40.

Quizzed on his future, Arfield told Sky Sports: "I don't know. I need to go an wait and see what comes up. I'm open to everything.

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

MacIver wins balls in the air though sammon wins feck all.

MacIver may well win balls in the air but who's he flicking them onto? McGlynn plays one up front. And this guy can't score goals. If your going to go one up front you need an Alegria type who is decent at both. If he's a squad filler then he's probably better than Wright. 

1 minute ago, ebobsboy said:

MacIver may well win balls in the air but who's he flicking them onto? McGlynn plays one up front. And this guy can't score goals. If your going to go one up front you need an Alegria type who is decent at both. If he's a squad filler then he's probably better than Wright. 

Juan Alegria didn't score a single goal whilst on loan to Partick the season before joining us.