The Falkirk FC Thread

A one year punt as a back up option if we’re needing a bit more height, fair enough.

We’ve said about signing good players from our rivals as a transfer strategy. Signing the one striker that scored the least from a team that finished lower, and their fans would pick to release first wasn’t what I had in mind.

Agyman I could get as a bit of a wildcard. This I’m underwhelmed at.

Prove me wrong Ross!

51 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Good job there's more to players than stats then ae?

IMG_7653.jpeg

There is. And KRH shows up v good in those aswell. zan.png.bf70d0410bd94aca34d649588852ec06.thumb.png.aeb1cd4a1858de89dcac8b3866137a8e.png

Although I'm sure Falkirk fans will agree that the aerial disrupter looks a bit low eh? 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

You're not going to get part time players giving up their day jobs for one year contracts I'm afraid.

Dishing out two year deals when there's a real possibility that we'll be hybrid or part time in 24/25 is mad.  Holt rightly got criticised for handing out 2 and 3 year deals but now we're just repeating the same mistakes.  I'm all for the manager getting freedom to sign the players but should he really be tieing the club's hands for future seasons when there's doubt over our full-time status and whether he'll still be in a job in 24/25.

5 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

Dishing out two year deals when there's a real possibility that we'll be hybrid or part time in 24/25 is mad.  Holt rightly got criticised for handing out 2 and 3 year deals but now we're just repeating the same mistakes.  I'm all for the manager getting freedom to sign the players but should he really be tieing the club's hands for future seasons when there's doubt over our full-time status and whether he'll still be in a job in November.

FTFY

7 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

Dishing out two year deals when there's a real possibility that we'll be hybrid or part time in 24/25 is mad.  Holt rightly got criticised for handing out 2 and 3 year deals but now we're just repeating the same mistakes.  I'm all for the manager getting freedom to sign the players but should he really be tieing the club's hands for future seasons when there's doubt over our full-time status and whether he'll still be in a job in 24/25.

As I said before you aren't going to get part time players to give up their day jobs on a one year punt at full time football.  The  main problem under the last bunch of cretins was that we were handing out two and three year deals to utter shite. 

Edited by Shodwall cat

3 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

This is becoming a real concern, BOD now confirming that if we’re not promoted, we’ve no chance of sustaining full time football. 
Nesbitt’s deal and two new signings both two years.
Who is signing off these deals?

As noted are we any different from Holt? Not in my view. 
We had a fairly honest appraisal from our CEO recently, but shouldn’t we be worrying more about how these deals are being handed out? Really hoping that there’s a few decent players lined up, but I’m beginning to fear it’s back to bang average players getting secured two year deals, when it should be one year with an additional year pegged on dependant on certain criteria being met/completed.

10 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

As I said before you aren't going to get part time players to give up their day jobs on a one year punt at full time football.  The  main problem under the last bunch of cretins was that we were handing out two and three year deals to utter shite. 

So you must have supported the two year deal for Hetherington given he was PT?

39 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

Can't really argue with that to be honest, got the CEO on our fans podcast saying if we don't go up this season we'll be at real risk of going part time or even hybrid and the first 3 of 4 signings we've made have all been 2 year deals. 

Nesbitt, MacIver and it's fair to say Agyeman won't just be a 1 year deal. Lawal being the only one who just got a years extension.

1 hour ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Had a look through his time at Raith there, used a 442 with two 6s quite often during the 18/19 season according to Transfermarkt. Not so much after that.

Conjecture at this point really but;

Allan McIver

NEW Nesbitt McGinn Morrison 

Mccann Henderson Donaldson NEW

NEW

Not really sure what the plans would be with Agyeman, either upront or as cover for Morrison. Kelty fans have previously said that they don't think he has the game awareness to play up top but we can only wait and see. Didn't line up on the left once last season hence why he's not in there.

Aware also that Nesbitt isn't a 6 if that's the route we go down so could potentially see him on the left with another midfielder coming in.

18/19 was pre-Hendry Raith, and JMcG hadn’t yet converted to the 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1 or variants style of play. When he got Hendry really into the team (in 18/19, Hendry only played about 4 matches for us) he moved to using things like midfield/attacking diamonds, and then onto using a deep lying defensive midfielder to connect the two midfielders, two wingers and single forward to the defenders while playing the ball out from the back.

JMcG’s success was heavily dependent upon Hendry playing that number 6 role, and he attempted to plug Tait into a more attacking version that role when Regan left (only to have him sold off). He then had the season implode, and tried to fall back on Spencer in a role he wasn’t as suited to when he finally returned from injury.

If you want success with McGlynn ball, you NEED a skilled number 6. You find that, and the whole team will suddenly look miles better (duh)…without that, JMcG’s teams tend to play a disjointed style that showcases plenty of pretty passing and moving the ball around, only to see it implode when faced with a press or when a pass gets misplayed and the opposition streams forward on the counter. If Nesbitt has been playing a 6 for Falkirk, given your opinions of him, that would explain much.

39 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Suspect the 2 year deals had to be dangled to get the signing. To be fair to the players looking at the clubs track record it's a reasonable ask.

The reason for that thinking is the shameful manager, player churn over the last 5 years which means any signing wants the security and that is a 2 year contract.

At least MacIver is a big lad who according to Alloa fans is decent in the air. I’ve moaned about physicality in the side so with Agyeman it seems McGlynn is at least trying to address this. F**k it, I’m feeling a bit optimistic probably due to a couple of afternoon pints of T, this is our year lads 😁

Edited by Harry Kinnear

48 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Yet to be convinced our signings so far are any different. If that’s the case we shouldn’t be taking punts on average part time players. 

Agree with Springfield, a real stark contrast between the contracts offered and what the CEO has said regarding part time. Hopefully a clause in the contracts but I’m concerned this is Holt mk2 with these signings so far.