The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Arfield wants to finish his playing career with us but reckon it’s still a year too soon! Will end up at another Premiership team. 

Can’t see him dropping as low as league one or taking such a hit in wages but he has stated publicly a few times his desire to return to the Falkirk before retires. Extremely unlikely at this juncture I’d say but we can dream. 

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

If the last page is true, I’d be Fckn fuming if we lost Arfield to Livi.

17 minutes ago, MulsonFFC said:

Literally every premiership team (outside the arse cheeks) would take him, if he signs for Livi, I'll drink ma ain pish.

Was there not similar comments when we signed Sibbald? :D 

2 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Considering Livi lost Devlin as they couldn't afford him i find it hard to think they can afford Arfield.

A lot of that is Martindale posturing with agents, does it often

1 minute ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Fair enough you know more about Martindale than i do.

Devlin was saying he was open to staying in February but Martindale was saying he's in the market for a new RB. He's probably gone from 1.5k-2k (likely our highest earner) to easily 5-6k at Aberdeen, and he's just had a baby as well. Fair play to him for going out and securing his future a bit more. 

Edited by ATLIS

Guest Ecosse83

I don’t think money will be a massive factor in it for Arfield, he will be a multi millionaire! It will be purely a footballing decision. 

Livingston might be the best place for him to continue at the highest level! 

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Devlin was saying he was open to staying in February but Martindale was saying he's in the market for a new RB. He's probably gone from 1.5k-2k (likely our highest earner) to easily 5-6k at Aberdeen, and he's just had a baby as well. Fair play to him for going out and securing his future a bit more. 

There’s no way he’s signed for Aberdeen on that type of wage. I am friendly with many dandies and can assure you that the figures you’ve quoted for Aberdeen are nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

There’s no way he’s signed for Aberdeen on that type of wage. I am friendly with many dandies and can assure you that the figures you’ve quoted for Aberdeen are nonsense. 

It could be, but I can't see Aberdeen paying 2-3k when per week on average.  I know when Halkett went to Hearts he was on 7-8k per week, Forrest was around 4k. Was basing that on those numbers, on the basis both clubs probably pay similar wages.

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

It could be, but I can't see Aberdeen paying 2-3k when per week on average.  I know when Halkett went to Hearts he was on 7-8k per week, Forrest was around 4k. Was basing that on those numbers, on the basis both clubs probably pay similar wages.

Haven’t any information on Hearts, but believe Aberdeen basic wage structure is considerably lower than your original post. 

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't think Champions or sacked would have been seen as a reasonable bar by anyone, supporters included, when he was hired.

We finished 7th in League One under Potter in 2014/2015 and were absolutely at our lowest ebb and Allan Johnston came in and immediately turned us into runaway champions and I think most people - before this season anyway - would agree that McGlynn is a better manager than AJ.

McGlynn inherited a mess but any argument that it was some major challenge is slightly misleading. He's a very experienced coach, had a really healthy budget and not only failed to win the title, he didn't even come close and was then battered senseless in the play-offs.

Sacking him would probably cost too much so think the Falkirk board are making the right call to let him try again but he certainly could have had zero complaints if they'd pulled the trigger.

There's absolutely no way Scott Arfield is signing for us in league 1, he might after another two seasons plying his trade elsewhere and just want a swansong to finish his career. A bit similar to McGinn who's best days are behind him. This I want to finish my career back where I started is commendable but its more romance than anything else. Get used to us picking up the likes of Agyeman, maybe cherry pick another one or two from league 1/bottom end of championship, trialists and loans. More chance of signing Josh McPake than Arfield ffs.

Edited by ebobsboy

50 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Aberdeen 2023 Wages | Player & Team totals (salarysport.com)

Heart Of Midlothian 2023 Wages | Player & Team totals (salarysport.com)

Does this help?

9 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

We finished 7th in League One under Potter in 2014/2015 and were absolutely at our lowest ebb and Allan Johnston came in and immediately turned us into runaway champions and I think most people - before this season anyway - would agree that McGlynn is a better manager than AJ.

McGlynn inherited a mess but any argument that it was some major challenge is slightly misleading. He's a very experienced coach, had a really healthy budget and not only failed to win the title, he didn't even come close and was then battered senseless in the play-offs.

Sacking him would probably cost too much so think the Falkirk board are making the right call to let him try again but he certainly could have had zero complaints if they'd pulled the trigger.

He could have zero complaints after what they turned in in the playoffs, but I don't think that win the title or get sacked would have been a reasonable stance to take given where we were, and AJ winning it with yous doesn't change that in any way for me.