The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

if people want to keep him, then fine, but ffs please do not base it on “he did better than our worst season in our history”. That is absolutely no benchmark.

Equally, the chat about who he shifted. Just about everyone named was out the door anyway as their contracts had expired. Read it again….."he got rid of TWO in contract deadwood players in January. That’s it.

The players speak highly of him? That’s a helluva reason to stick with a guy who has given us one of our most brutal performances in living memory.

Experience in the league? Of course he has. He unfortunately doesn’t have much experience in winning leagues.

Trues to change things when needed? Are you kidding? That’s got to be a wind up.

Improved players? McKay is as bad as he ever was. Nesbitt is as bad as he ever was. So much so, he benched him for weeks.

Scored goals, but conceded plenty too.

Like I say, he is being kept. I think he will be gone by Christmas. I am actually terrified about what he is going to do in terms of recruitment. McGinn is well and truly done. Donaldson is as unpredictable as anyone else. His only success has been Henderson. I see no-one to build a team around. I see no real planning.

Let’s see where he goes with a reduced budget. My guess is “not very far”.

You don’t need to post the same thing on each page of the thread, by the way. People can scroll back.

McGlynn could do with finding a way of fitting Jordan Allan into the team and a 3-5-2 could be it given who we have signed up so far but McGinn would get absolutely roasted at centre back. 

New
Donaldson New Henderson
New McGinn New Mccann
Lawal/Morrison
Allan Agyeman

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

John McGlynn like any other manager comes in where he comes in. He was f**k all to do with our "worst season ever". He had to improve from our rock bottom. Refusing to acknowledge this is bordering on some sort of arrogance tbh. 

As Falkirk fans, we all expect better. We feel we deserve better. But as a football manager, he doesn't have any of that. He inherited a horrible, poisonous shambles of other men's making. 

Ultimately, we had a goal of promotion, but when he took over NONE of us liked our chances. He did ultimately fail. But you can't beat him with the "he only improved on our worst ever season stick" because that's quite literally the only thing an incoming manager CAN improve on.... The season before. 

Again, not even defending McGlynn here, just that thus constant fucking diatribe attacking him, but more annoyingly inferring those who don't want him sacked are part of the problem, is getting really fucking tedious now 

I do think it’s fair to say though that improvement on the worst season in the club’s history is not an argument for retaining a manager when that manager has been backed to bring in 17 of his own players, in addition to the likes of Morrison, McCann and Nesbitt.

3 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I do think it’s fair to say though that improvement on the worst season in the club’s history is not an argument for retaining a manager when that manager has been backed to bring in 17 of his own players, in addition to the likes of Morrison, McCann and Nesbitt.

I don't think Champions or sacked would have been seen as a reasonable bar by anyone, supporters included, when he was hired. 

You can argue that there are signs he should be sacked anyway. You can argue that the first half.in Airdrie was sackable in itself, but I don't think you can look back to 1 year ago, and what we all seen as our chances of winning the league, and make that argument in hindsight. 

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

You say this a lot without any context and as if he had free reign on anyone for those 17 players. He had 14 players signed taking a large part of the budget. He had to make do with the remaining budget to replace as many of those 14 as possible while improving them. Bringing in 17 new players on less money than the 14 already signed is a BIG ask. To get better players you have to spend more for fewer players. Then you have to try and get your players out on loan, this is hard both to convince the player to go and also to find a club to take them, but he did it at least by January. He then made good use of the loan markets while improving the remaining players from our worst season. So your argument that he got 17 players as if he was backed to just buy whoever he wanted and its therefore his ideal team is just not considering the restraints that were there to bring those in. Despite that this team is an improvement and we are starting from that improved baseline now. If he can do the same again, stepping up our baseline then we should be improving further. 

A lot to criticise with McGlynn but don't think this is one of them. More to do with the use of those players, shifting teams, tactics and what exactly happened the last quarter. 

I think another argument that there might be for keeping McGlynn, is something iv alluded to before and something Swinney spoke about in the podcast. The amount of work being done by people behind the scenes to put this club on an even keel. I made a post about how on earth it took the new guys to get the NS advertising sorted. The old regime were sleepwalking this club into one disaster after another. The new guys, from BoD to commercial have done so much really obvious work in terms of revenue, sponsorship etc and for me, the credibility and reputation of the club. 

I wonder if the BoD have some of that in mind when contemplating whether to continue being effectively a sacking club with yearly failed overhauls, and pull the rug out from a lot of the good work...

Just for anyone who is wondering why he hasn't been sacked, I think that probably factors. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

You say this a lot without any context and as if he had free reign on anyone for those 17 players. He had 14 players signed taking a large part of the budget. He had to make do with the remaining budget to replace as many of those 14 as possible while improving them. Bringing in 17 new players on less money than the 14 already signed is a BIG ask. To get better players you have to spend more for fewer players. Then you have to try and get your players out on loan, this is hard both to convince the player to go and also to find a club to take them, but he did it at least by January. He then made good use of the loan markets while improving the remaining players from our worst season. So your argument that he got 17 players as if he was backed to just buy whoever he wanted and its therefore his ideal team is just not considering the restraints that were there to bring those in. Despite that this team is an improvement and we are starting from that improved baseline now. If he can do the same again, stepping up our baseline then we should be improving further. 

A lot to criticise with McGlynn but don't think this is one of them. More to do with the use of those players, shifting teams, tactics and what exactly happened the last quarter. 

What attempts did McGlynn make to move on the players he didn’t want before January?

3 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

What attempts did McGlynn make to move on the players he didn’t want before January?

How do you know he didn’t? 

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

I don't know, never spoken to the man. Don't think it would be easy to get people out though, anyone might want to chance staying and getting game time before realising they won't and deciding its fair to go out on loan. In fact didn't McGlynn say as much about Paddy Martin? Not sure what relevance this really has though to what I was saying which is that simply saying he was able to bring in 17 players and they should therefore be his number 1 team ignores a lot of context. 

If your point is about him trying to keep a good feeling around the camp by not kicking people out then I will say I don't see the issue with that. Last season this club was rotting to the core, you could sense the absolute disdain and defeat on the park from a mile away, no one is going to perform well in that mindset. If McGlynn wanted to prioritise a change of mindset that has inevitably contributed to the improvement in players like Nesbit, Morrison, McCann and even McKay I think that's reasonable. It means it was not as crucial to then replace every single player but could make an attempt to use what he had, again given the budget restraints he had. 

It probably costs a bit of money to release players from their contract when they still have 18 months left on them (McKay and Oliver?).

So we’ve got McGlynn and the most important close season for as long as I can remember. Big pants time and maybe the Manager/BOD have approached Arfield, after the arse cheek’s announcement, nothing wrong with asking…

Like all supporters can’t wait to see who he brings in, unfortunately I have a hunch not to get too excited……….maybe if Scotty signs I,ll break out the Rosebank

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So we’ve got McGlynn and the most important close season for as long as I can remember. Big pants time and maybe the Manager/BOD have approached Arfield, after the arse cheek’s announcement, nothing wrong with asking…

Like all supporters can’t wait to see who he brings in, unfortunately I have a hunch not to get too excited……….maybe if Scotty signs I,ll break out the Rosebank

If Scotty signs, what il be doing rhymes with Rosebank

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So we’ve got McGlynn and the most important close season for as long as I can remember

Isn’t that what Falkirk fans say every season?

The only difference is this season you might be starting with the manager that finished the last season.

For what it’s worth- and it’s not a lot as I don’t see Falkirk very often- I think there was quite a large improvement in your team this season from last.

Guest Ecosse83
23 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Dundee after Ian Murray is a strange one. He's hardly exactly set the heather on fire at Raith and his replacement at Airdrie got them promoted in his first season.

That’s a very surprising one that!