The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Not to get into it all again because it is a Falkirk thread but obviously the Goodwillie episode had a huge effect given the damage it did to the club. However, we were also a mess on the field for the last 5 months of his tenure and that is the context of which Murray is judged with his budget cut and the existing budget used up on unavailable players or overpaid for their worth (similar to what McGlynn himself inherited at Falkirk). 

Also, the last 19 of the season under McGlynn’s tenure, we were the worst team in the league (table below). So Murray inherited a club in turmoil, had his budget cut by 50% (the board had agreed with McGlynn to have a one off push at the title given the league was wide open, which was part of the reason McGlynn left, he didn’t want to stick around with a reduced budget) and also a team on the field which had spent the last half of the season as the worst team in the league. Hence why 7th was accepted as a decent job this year.

If you asked Raith Rovers fans their opinion of McGlynn in December 2021, you’d have almost unanimous support but it’s hard to overstate how disastrous his last 5/6 months were both on and off the field and that destroyed his reputation for a lot. FWIW, I put most of the blame for the ridiculous contracts at the boards door, most managers would take advantage of that sort of thing, it is on the board to police that. Thankfully the new owners seem more active and switched on in that regard.

# Club   W D L Goals +/- Pts
1  Kilmarnock FC Kilmarnock FC  19 11 5 3 30:16 14 38
2  Arbroath FC Arbroath 19 9 7 3 26:15 11 34
3  Greenock Morton FC Morton 19 7 6 6 21:19 2 27
4  Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC Inverness CT 19 6 7 6 28:22 6 25
5  Hamilton Academical FC Hamilton Acad.  19 6 7 6 23:23 0 25
6  Ayr United FC Ayr United 19 6 6 7 23:23 0 24
7  Partick Thistle FC Partick ThistleScottish Third League Champion 20/21  19 6 6 7 17:24 -7 24
8  Dunfermline Athletic FC Dunfermline A. 19 5 6 8 18:25 -7 21
9  Queen of the South FC Queen o. t. S. 19 5 4 10 20:28 -8 19
10  Raith Rovers FC Raith Rovers 19 3 8 8 17:28 -11 17

Also the only team in the division that season to fail to beat our shambolic mob.

28 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Also the only team in the division that season to fail to beat our shambolic mob.

Sackable offence on its own IMO. Our performance in the 2-0 defeat at EEP after our cup win was a real low among lows in the second half of the season.

On 21/05/2023 at 22:30, Bairnardo said:

His stock is very low on P&B. I don't think it's very low overall. I think the players will get it long before McGlynn does from the fans. 

Having taken a look through the posts I reckon that there are 9 for keeping McGlynn, almost all reluctantly, and 4 for getting shot of him. Sorry, 5 including myself. The cup run money has saved the club, undoubtedly, but it has also saved McGlynn's job, for now anyway.

19 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Distinct lack of ✍️ recently 

Falkirk one of the only clubs to make a new signing, be grateful lads c'mon.

19 hours ago, GeordieBairn said:

Wonder if Regan Hendry would drop to this level. Probably has no end of offers from the 2 divisions above.

No, no he wouldn't.

17 hours ago, brokeville said:

Let’s be honest McGlynn has us playing attractive football for 3/4 of the season and unfortunately came up short when it mattered. Too many players lost form at the critical time. Would we rather watch McPakes team grinding out one goal wins with little or no flair? I think not. I’d give the management team another season and hopefully with decent signings we can win the league playing a better style of football. 

LOL

53 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Having taken a look through the posts I reckon that there are 9 for keeping McGlynn, almost all reluctantly, and 4 for getting shot of him. Sorry, 5 including myself. The cup run money has saved the club, undoubtedly, but it has also saved McGlynn's job, for now anyway.

make that 6 !

7 hours ago, Springfield said:

From the podcast it was very much made clear that the club is desperately relying on all supporters/sponsors/patrons/FSS inputting if not equal to last season, but somehow increasing numbers to give more funds to McGlynn. If I’ve picked up correctly the club are going to cut the budget so that we move away from the last ten/fifteen years of starting each season with a reported -400K.

I fully understand that this model is unsustainable, but a huge amount and can only confirm PT/hybrid football. 
PM covered this in an earlier post, surely now the club need to reach out to others for investment?

The thing is any money put in out with gate receipts is not an investment it's a donation. As with any donation people can only put in so much so that income source should be seen as a bonus separate .  Fans commendably came up with £400k last season and that is not sustainable. With the club not having one physical asset to borrow against Falkirk are more exposed to people's personal finances than most.

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The thing is any money put in out with gate receipts is not an investment it's a donation. As with any donation people can only put in so much so that income source should be seen as a bonus separate .  Fans commendably came up with £400k last season and that is not sustainable. With the club not having one physical asset to borrow against Falkirk are more exposed to people's personal finances than most.

Which other clubs in Scotland are borrowing money from financial institutions? 

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Cup money saved his job? How do you work that one out? Because he and his players earned it? The cup money actually give the board more flex from where I sit to get shot if they had wanted to 

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

PS make it 10, for now…..