The Falkirk FC Thread

The narrative from the club is now all about “phase 2”, “finishing the job” and a “3 year plan”. That was the message Swinney was sent out to communicate and there is a similar vibe from some posters on here.

Personally I’ve seen absolutely nothing to suggest that phase 2 of McGlynn will be any more successful than phase 1 but we will have to wait and see.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 hours ago, brokeville said:

Would we rather watch McPakes team grinding out one goal wins with little or no flair? I think not.

We did beat an in form QOS 5-0 to win the league. We also won 4-3 against Airdrie after being 3 down. We won 3-0 at Alloa. Beat Falkirk 2-0 in a crucial game. 

It's a false narrative to say we grinded out 1-0 wins. We were very strong defensively but scored goals too. Wighton hit 20 goals FFS

Aye that was a bit left field.

Given how much the club openly talked about needing funds last season I'd be very disappointed if the squad were playing hard ball over their bonuses for the cup run.

Edited by FFC 1876

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Aye that was a bit left field.

Given how much the club openly talked about needing funds last season I'd be very disappointed if the squad were playing hard ball over their bonuses for the cup run.

If the players have agreed x amount with the club as bonuses for Scottish Cup performance then they should get it. No issue with that at all.

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Often wondered if you lads got stuck with shite for so long because you've to both offer a decent wage, and make it longer than your competitors, to get players who other full time sides want.

The reason we got stuck with shite for so long was Gary f**king Holt signing players on 3 yr deals the only pass mark he got was Leon McCann other than that they have been well below par and that includes offering his laddie a 2 year deal when his football career since 2019 has been 3 games.

28 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The narrative from the club is now all about “phase 2”, “finishing the job” and a “3 year plan”. That was the message Swinney was sent out to communicate and there is a similar vibe from some posters on here.

Personally I’ve seen absolutely nothing to suggest that phase 2 of McGlynn will be any more successful than phase 1 but we will have to wait and see.

If I were McGlynn, to preserve my job would be painting this as "for X budget I got us from a squad of shite in 6th, to a squad of less shite in 2nd. Give me the same budget again and with a better starting platform and less need for payoffs, I will take us that 1 extra step". 

I can see why they have elected to go that way. 

It's not without risk. But of course, neither is sacking McGlynn and handing a new manager who may or may not be good, a squad of players he may or may not want couple with a smaller budget again. 

Edited by Bairnardo

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There’s also no way Tumilty will sign for John McGlynn. They did not get on whatsoever. 

If there was one player I thought might have been upset over the Goodwillie situation it was RT. Nothing to back it up mind you, but he doesn't seem daft (regardless of folk calling him out over the SPFL being monotonous).

43 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

One thing from the Podcast... I don't know if it was discussed here and I missed it. But apparently there were social media rumours of a rift in the camp over Scottish Cup bonus payments. That was the first I'd heard of that personally. 

If McGlynn had won the Scottish cup with us, the bonus payments would have put us out of business so maybe he had large bonus built in to the players he signed as well for you boys. McG isn’t exactly known for watching the pennies anymore, that ship has sailed long ago unfortunately. I very much get the vibe he now tries to ‘buy’ his way out the league in a roundabout sense 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Just remember Tumilty, is not a defender in any real sense, but a marauding, drive forward, pass it in and/or take the shots himself type who needs a midfielder who can help cover when he charges forward and a couple of CB’s you trust. If you’re relying on his defensive prowess, you’re f**ked.

We have just got rid of one in Williamson. Granted the p***k got injured walking into a breeze. 

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Very clear now for me from that podcast that McGlynn is being kept for financial reasons. The board have clearly decided that McGlynn with a slightly smaller budget is better than a new manager with a smaller budget.

The risk is you end up with the worst of both worlds by having to punt McGlynn in September and bring in a new manager who can’t build his own squad.

It will exactly go that way. It'll be someone else ending up with someone else's players. I wouldn't trust McGlynn to go to the shop for a loaf. Utter shite state of affairs but as per the club will roll out some media pish about the forthcoming season. I'm sorry but I can't and won't back McGlynn. 

It surely depends on how much the budget is being cut by.  A decent wad  of last year's budget would've been used to pay off some off the dross Holt landed on us. That amount will be far less this season so the actual budget available for new players could be about the same. 

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I don’t think the fan base does think that. Views on here are not always the best judge IMO. 

I think most fans are unsure about him after the last 6 weeks of the season but see at what he inherited and looking at the season as a whole think on balance deserves the chance to finish the job off. Most IMO are certain he needs to get off to a good start or he will lose any of that faith the supporters have left in him.

FWIIW I also don’t agree with you he is not a good coach. You don’t stay in the game so long if you are not. He seems trusted by bigger clubs with their young players on loan too which is another sign he is good. My fear is he is that good at development of players, improve them (we also have witnessed the improvement in one or two) but is he really a winner? His track record suggest me that judgment maybe accurate. The jury for most is certainly out as a result. 

You have also suggested he is not a nice guy. I have not spoken to him no longer than about 10 minutes in total in a year so maybe not the best to judge. However on first impressions, and usually these are a good way to judge he seems quite a shy fella almost a bit socially nervous but certainly seemed a nice enough person. He has probably been interviewed hundreds of times and to lose his cool only on the odd occasion as you pointed out seems quite a good record to me. That microphone can be stuck in front of these guys at the wrong time and they let emotion get the better on them. How many did Alex Ferguson abuse over the years and no one held his feet to the fire as you have McGlynn. 

Mcglynn won the PFA Scottish manager of the year award back in 2011 I think it was so he surely must've been doing something right.

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

It surely depends on how much the budget is being cut by.  A decent wad  of last year's budget would've been used to pay off some off the dross Holt landed on us. That amount will be far less this season so the actual budget available for new players could be about the same. 

One of the narratives from the interview was that the club are relying on around 2.3K STs to keep budget, and the club would work hard to address any short fall (10%used) 600STs to date.

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Mcglynn won the PFA Scottish manager of the year award back in 2011 I think it was so he surely must've been doing something right.

I don't know how tbh.  He bottled the Fife derby playing Andy "flappy" McNeil instead of David McGurn who seemed to play a blinder in them.

46 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

If McGlynn had won the Scottish cup with us, the bonus payments would have put us out of business so maybe he had large bonus built in to the players he signed as well for you boys. McG isn’t exactly known for watching the pennies anymore, that ship has sailed long ago unfortunately. I very much get the vibe he now tries to ‘buy’ his way out the league in a roundabout sense 

Jamie Swinney discussed this on the Falkirk daft pod, cup bonuses are agreed round at a time they aren’t set out at the start of the season.