The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83
52 minutes ago, brokeville said:

Let’s be honest McGlynn has us playing attractive football for 3/4 of the season and unfortunately came up short when it mattered. Too many players lost form at the critical time. Would we rather watch McPakes team grinding out one goal wins with little or no flair? I think not. I’d give the management team another season and hopefully with decent signings we can win the league playing a better style of football. 

Are you for real? I mean you can’t actually be serious? Please tell me your having a laugh 😂🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

……..and I think Williamson would have been gobsmacked at getting the semi-final gig. To then turn in the performance that he did, and then get handed the play off gig was such a lousy piece of management.

On thing for sure……….keeping him is the right decision by the Board because expectations have now reached such low levels that the support are accepting of stuff that even a decade ago would have been seen as completely beyond the pale.

I think there is a growing acceptance that McGlynn isn’t a particularly good manager, and in reality, never has been a good manager, but I would guess for the majority, the semi final performance and the play off shambles are now accepted as par for the course. Initially there was anger, but that seems to have been replaced by a shrug of the shoulders, and “what can we do? He has to get a shot as his Phase 2”.

As I think most know, he is going nowhere, so there is nothing to do but go along for the ride. Who knows, he might even get us our opening day win for the second time in 15 years.

If nothing else, he has now completely run out of road in terms of excuses.

I don’t think the fan base does think that. Views on here are not always the best judge IMO. 

I think most fans are unsure about him after the last 6 weeks of the season but see at what he inherited and looking at the season as a whole think on balance deserves the chance to finish the job off. Most IMO are certain he needs to get off to a good start or he will lose any of that faith the supporters have left in him.

FWIIW I also don’t agree with you he is not a good coach. You don’t stay in the game so long if you are not. He seems trusted by bigger clubs with their young players on loan too which is another sign he is good. My fear is he is that good at development of players, improve them (we also have witnessed the improvement in one or two) but is he really a winner? His track record suggest me that judgment maybe accurate. The jury for most is certainly out as a result. 

You have also suggested he is not a nice guy. I have not spoken to him no longer than about 10 minutes in total in a year so maybe not the best to judge. However on first impressions, and usually these are a good way to judge he seems quite a shy fella almost a bit socially nervous but certainly seemed a nice enough person. He has probably been interviewed hundreds of times and to lose his cool only on the odd occasion as you pointed out seems quite a good record to me. That microphone can be stuck in front of these guys at the wrong time and they let emotion get the better on them. How many did Alex Ferguson abuse over the years and no one held his feet to the fire as you have McGlynn. 

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

A new, special episode of the Falkirk Daft podcast is OUT NOW with an exclusive interview with CEO Jamie Swinney (link below).

A final episode of the season, featuring a season review including former guest pundits will be out on Thursday.

This & all previous episodes👇🏼

🎧🖥️📲 https://linktr.ee/falkirkdaft

IMG_2148.thumb.jpeg.e49d315050fbb0ae500d2469c2a60d2c.jpeg

Excellent yet again to get transparency like this from the club and thanks to you guys for making it happen.

Whilst it was inevitable we'd end up with a smaller budget this season it's still worrying to hear given how many players we have signed up so far. 

Much more pressure on McGlynn to get the signings spot on this summer as it sounds as if there won't be many of them. Good to hear the management believe we need more pace, power and aggression as that's exactly what we all feel the team lack.

3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Excellent yet again to get transparency like this from the club and thanks to you guys for making it happen.

Whilst it was inevitable we'd end up with a smaller budget this season it's still worrying to hear given how many players we have signed up so far. 

Much more pressure on McGlynn to get the signings spot on this summer as it sounds as if there won't be many of them. Good to hear the management believe we need more pace, power and aggression as that's exactly what we all feel the team lack.

I sort of got the vibe he was being a bit guarded about budget. Maybe trying to just gee the fans on a wee bit without openly asking us to dip in whilst the wounds are still open.... He sort of alluded to same again, then some qualifiers to that, then but maybe it might be slightly less if we dont manage to sell STs etc. Hopeful its much of a muchness.

Agree on the words used for what they feel the team lacks. Couldnt have picked 3 more apt words myself. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I sort of got the vibe he was being a bit guarded about budget. Maybe trying to just gee the fans on a wee bit without openly asking us to dip in whilst the wounds are still open.... He sort of alluded to same again, then some qualifiers to that, then but maybe it might be slightly less if we dont manage to sell STs etc. Hopeful its much of a muchness.

Agree on the words used for what they feel the team lacks. Couldnt have picked 3 more apt words myself. 

Makes the Nesbitt two year deal even more baffling right enough as he has none of those 3 attributes.

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Makes the Nesbitt two year deal even more baffling right enough as he has none of those 3 attributes.

To me it’s even more baffling to be re-signings the likes of Nesbitt, Oliver and PJ Morrison if the budget’s going to be smaller. 

I’d have moved them on to make room for new additions.

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

To me it’s even more baffling to be re-signings the likes of Nesbitt, Oliver and PJ Morrison if the budget’s going to be smaller. 

I’d have moved them on to make room for new additions.

Yeah.... In an ideal world, all 3 of them start every week on the bench. 

15 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

And that smaller budget you’d be struggling to attract better quality of players to try get out that league and be on the lower end of the scale for Full time players (basically the pish no one wants) and I think McGlynn will probably struggle next season and he’s partially to blame surely for your budget being cut? 

6 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think most fans are unsure about him after the last 6 weeks of the season but see at what he inherited and looking at the season as a whole think on balance deserves the chance to finish the job off. Most IMO are certain he needs to get off to a good start or he will lose any of that faith the supporters have left in him.

Disagree, the majority of fans that I know since we lost to Fife away all knew that the season was over. 
Sorry the “inherited” doesn’t fit anymore. He’s chosen to go with the inherited over his own signings and as you’ve rightly said, played a RB that hasn’t strung two games together when he had decent options, in a major semi final.

He brings in two CFs that have barely played. He stuck by a GK that was shot down by Airdrie and should have been dropped.

I watched a so called experienced manager standing like a penguin when we were getting humiliated by Airdrie. Rabbit in the headlights…………

His interview after the humiliation and then the utter couldn’t give a Fck return performance should have seen him walk, however we get phase two. 

Already posted that I sincerely hope he succeeds but we’re going with over 50% -60% of the failures from last season and unless he finds six/seven betters players, we’re heading towards the abyss.

Mr Sweeny already laying the get out of jail cards for next season? 

Often wondered if you lads got stuck with shite for so long because you've to both offer a decent wage, and make it longer than your competitors, to get players who other full time sides want.

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Disagree, the majority of fans that I know since we lost to Fife away all knew that the season was over. 
Sorry the “inherited” doesn’t fit anymore. He’s chosen to go with the inherited over his own signings and as you’ve rightly said, played a RB that hasn’t strung two games together when he had decent options, in a major semi final.

He brings in two CFs that have barely played. He stuck by a GK that was shot down by Airdrie and should have been dropped.

I watched a so called experienced manager standing like a penguin when we were getting humiliated by Airdrie. Rabbit in the headlights…………

His interview after the humiliation and then the utter couldn’t give a Fck return performance should have seen him walk, however we get phase two. 

Already posted that I sincerely hope he succeeds but we’re going with over 50% -60% of the failures from last season and unless he finds six/seven betters players, we’re heading towards the abyss.

Mr Sweeny already laying the get out of jail cards for next season? 

I don't think he was laying anything. He was clear throughout the podcast that we are going into next season with the target of winning the league. He didn't offer up anything else as being an acceptable result. 

Very clear now for me from that podcast that McGlynn is being kept for financial reasons. The board have clearly decided that McGlynn with a slightly smaller budget is better than a new manager with a smaller budget.

The risk is you end up with the worst of both worlds by having to punt McGlynn in September and bring in a new manager who can’t build his own squad.

1 hour ago, brokeville said:

Let’s be honest McGlynn has us playing attractive football for 3/4 of the season and unfortunately came up short when it mattered. Too many players lost form at the critical time. Would we rather watch McPakes team grinding out one goal wins with little or no flair? I think not. I’d give the management team another season and hopefully with decent signings we can win the league playing a better style of football. 

To get us out of this league? Yes. Eight days a week, yes. Attractive football for 27 games this season? Come on now, no way.

2 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I quite like Tumilty I'd have no issues with him signing for us I don't think he will though. Right back as been a problem for yonks although Rowe did an ok job compared to some of the shite we have had there in recent seasons. 

Just remember Tumilty, is not a defender in any real sense, but a marauding, drive forward, pass it in and/or take the shots himself type who needs a midfielder who can help cover when he charges forward and a couple of CB’s you trust. If you’re relying on his defensive prowess, you’re f**ked.

55 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I don’t think the fan base does think that. Views on here are not always the best judge IMO. 

FWIIW I also don’t agree with you he is not a good coach. You don’t stay in the game so long if you are not. He seems trusted by bigger clubs with their young players on loan too which is another sign he is good. My fear is he is that good at development of players, improve them (we also have witnessed the improvement in one or two) but is he really a winner? His track record suggest me that judgment maybe accurate. The jury for most is certainly out as a result. 

You have also suggested he is not a nice guy. I have not spoken to him no longer than about 10 minutes in total in a year so maybe not the best to judge. However on first impressions, and usually these are a good way to judge he seems quite a shy fella almost a bit socially nervous but certainly seemed a nice enough person. He has probably been interviewed hundreds of times and to lose his cool only on the odd occasion as you pointed out seems quite a good record to me. That microphone can be stuck in front of these guys at the wrong time and they let emotion get the better on them. How many did Alex Ferguson abuse over the years and no one held his feet to the fire as you have McGlynn. 

He might be great with young players, but as you say, a winner he is most certainly not.

In terms of finishing the job, he hasn’t a track record in that regard…..at least not one that is convincing.

I don’t know if he is a nice guy or not, but he has been in the game long enough to know when he is being interviewed by club volunteers. If he doesn’t understand that, or sees “blame anyone except himself”, then that’s not a particularly engaging trait. I think he is good at playing to a crowd, but when things go wrong, he will blame that crowd without hesitation.

As to him being a winner, just look at his league finishing positions over 17 years. Not much in the way of warm and fuzzy feelings there. Remember too that he was the instigator of Raith’s Goodwillie debacle…….but I am sure I read somewhere (here?) that he tried to diminish his part in it by claiming he tried to stop it once he knew the depth of feeling amongst the Raith support, but the Raith Board ignored him, and kept it going. True or false I do not know, but blaming others is certainly a familiar trope.

As I say, all we can do is go where he takes us. However long that lasts is anyone’s guess.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

2 hours ago, brokeville said:

This is drivel.

Guest FFC1965

Everything I've seen coming out the club recently is unconvincing, self serving & delusional.

L'addition will have to be paid in the Autumn I fear.   

2 hours ago, brokeville said:

😀

One thing from the Podcast... I don't know if it was discussed here and I missed it. But apparently there were social media rumours of a rift in the camp over Scottish Cup bonus payments. That was the first I'd heard of that personally. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

One thing from the Podcast... I don't know if it was discussed here and I missed it. But apparently there were social media rumours of a rift in the camp over Scottish Cup bonus payments. That was the first I'd heard of that personally. 

Same here. Not a word.