The Falkirk FC Thread

16 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Well it would have been a lot cheaper for one thing, but as said, he claimed he didn't actually want to get rid of them "for squad harmony" which I'm not entirely sure I buy.

Is it cheaper? Doubtful. If anything it's marginally more costly. They presumably were paid in full all the period between August and January before taking whatever settlement they got to go in January. If they weren't playing or adding any value that's not cheaper.

Who are we talking about anyway? I don't recall any mass clearout of Falkirk players in January.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Is it cheaper? Doubtful. If anything it's marginally more costly. They presumably were paid in full all the period between August and January before taking whatever settlement they got to go in January. If they weren't playing or adding any value that's not cheaper.

Who are we talking about anyway? I don't recall any mass clearout of Falkirk players in January.

I meant it would have been cheaper to get rid in the summer.

Wilson, Ross, Sneddon, Hetherington off the top of my head.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If we could have punted them last summer I'm sure we would have, the reality is given how poor they were we probably didn't get the chance to offload them cost effectively until January.

Not a lot of them got paid off in January think it was just Jaime Wilson & Seb Ross but a fair few of them we managed to offload on loan. Paddy Martin, Blair Sneddon, Steven Hetherington & Finlay Malcolm.

Edited by FFC 1876

57 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Any idea what that would have cost to move them on? Maybe that was the reason? 

Quite possibly but we were then committed to paying their wages until January. Would that amount plus what we paid in January have been different to moving them on before the first transfer window? 

56 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

One other aspect is the continual theme of "churn". Trying to integrate too many players all at once as per the Hartley experience - which I wish was a cruise ship band instead of a recurring nightmare - could be another explanation as to why many remained

That’s what he was reported as saying which I can understand the reason but if that was his decision then must take some blame for being left with several players that were of little use to him? 

24 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Quite possibly but we were then committed to paying their wages until January. Would that amount plus what we paid in January have been different to moving them on before the first transfer window? 

We all know how poor the cash was last summer after the massive overspending of the previous season. Could have been a cashflow reason?

37 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

That’s what he was reported as saying which I can understand the reason but if that was his decision then must take some blame for being left with several players that were of little use to him? 

Again it all depends on the cash flow, squad depth, availability of players, opportunity and desire of current players to leave and the reported contractual situation of some.

There are a number of factors which all have to be considered. 

I don't think it's ever as simple as made out that you can dump people and there is a queue of better players just waiting in the exact positions you need, waiting to arrive.

Edited by Blame Me

21 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

We all know how poor the cash was last summer after the massive overspending of the previous season. Could have been a cashflow reason?

Possibly although he did seem to suggest some were kept on deliberately. 

8 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Possibly although he did seem to suggest some were kept on deliberately. 

He was never going to have the cash to clear out 14 even if he wanted to. It would have been a cash driver last summer IMO. He had to make best of what he had. TBF if you take the season as a whole McCann, Nesbitt and Morrison did well. Sadly they went completely off the boil at the business end of the season. 

2 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Could be wrong but seem to remember it was intentional to hold on to some. He did have from the start of May to the beginning of September to move them on if he pleased so would’ve thought it as achievable to move them on before then rather than January. 

Could only move them on if

1. someone would take them and 

2 he had replacements ready to come in.

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

He was never going to have the cash to clear out 14 even if he wanted to. It would have been a cash driver last summer IMO. He had to make best of what he had. TBF if you take the season as a whole McCann, Nesbitt and Morrison did well. Sadly they went completely off the boil at the business end of the season. 

He would have been daft to have got shot of Morrison but he got the best out of McCann and Nesbitt was far improved although did still flatter to deceive a bit. 

Know there could be a list of reasons so can only go on what was said. Do you remember him saying that about squad harmony though or am I just making it up? 

2 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

He would have been daft to have got shot of Morrison but he got the best out of McCann and Nesbitt was far improved although did still flatter to deceive a bit. 

Know there could be a list of reasons so can only go on what was said. Do you remember him saying that about squad harmony though or am I just making it up? 

You maybe right. I don’t recall that being said but I am old and forgetful 

5 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

You maybe right. I don’t recall that being said but I am old and forgetful 

I was going to say I’m young and forgetful but sadly that’s no longer true. Middle aged and forgetful! Also now going to bug me trying to find where that was said!

30 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

I was going to say I’m young and forgetful but sadly that’s no longer true. Middle aged and forgetful! Also now going to bug me trying to find where that was said!

I vaguely remember this being said on here as a potential reason but don't remember seeing it directly from McGlynn or anyone at the club but it's possible this was a reason