The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Van_damage said:

Could be wrong but seem to remember it was intentional to hold on to some. He did have from the start of May to the beginning of September to move them on if he pleased so would’ve thought it as achievable to move them on before then rather than January. 

Possibly the case that he didn't have firm commitments from anyone coming in so would have left the squad light of numbers.

It's all well and good offloading players who aren't going to play but you need to have one's who might, to replace them or you leave yourself short.

1 minute ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Poentially wanted to see what they were like before punting them

If that was the case then surely has to take some blame for not shifting them on sooner? Can’t imagine it would take long to assess their ability to be useful members of the squad particularly with all the friendlies and matches played in June, July and August.

2 hours ago, Yankee_Dollar said:

Your manager had the chance last pre season to gather up a squad capable of winning the league.

James McPake had to do something with a squad which were nothing short of dug meat the way DA got relegated.

Only one significant signing was Kyle Benedictus, a few on loan signings and bang, created a team that won the league at a canter. 

There's the difference. McGlynn is not your answer for next season. Who'd replace him? Would Robbie Neilson be interested?

I would've rather have had Falkirk playing with us next season instead of Airdrie or Hamilton. We'd have had potentially 2 big Derby games to look forward to.

As much as I enjoy the rivalry between our 2 clubs, it's a pity you guys got gubbed in the play off.

Dunfermline were relegated massively under-performing under two managers who didn't work out at all though. The players were largely fundamentally sound and a competent manager, and Benedictus to knit them together, got a tune out of them again. Falkirk's base was nothing like as good.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Have you completely missed the fact he did as much of an overhaul as possible, but huge amounts of guff clogged us up until they could be heaved in January.

Not really following why he could get rid of people in January but not in the summer window? Unless it's the cup run money that moved the goalposts, is it?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

If that was the case then surely has to take some blame for not shifting them on sooner? Can’t imagine it would take long to assess their ability to be useful members of the squad particularly with all the friendlies and matches played in June, July and August.

I think you're just looking for more reasons to be McGlynn out.

There  probably wasn't the same options available in the summer mind you. Likes of Arbroath coming in for hetherington and the will of a number to go part time means they must have managed to arrange other employment. We also had a good number of injuries at the start of the season which wouldn't have helped as it meant some of these guys had to play. If they are playing at that point you don't really want to tell them they can leave.

1 hour ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Last season 60% of the budget was taken up by our literal worst ever squad in Falkirk history. With 40% of the budget McGlynn was able to get a team on the park that finished second. 

That is impossible given McGlynn signed 18 or his own players.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I think you're just looking for more reasons to be McGlynn out.

Just trying to be balanced with regards to what is said. I am on the side of McGlynn to be honest out but just wondering if it’s fair to say McGlynn was left with some duds when he maybe had the potential to shift them on but chose not to?

Can understand @Blame Me’s point about not leaving us short but I think Burrell was the last to come in on the 1st of August so still had a full month to try move more on and get some in. Apart from Hetherington the rest barely featured even in the League Cup games when McGlynn was still building our squad. 

11 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

There  probably wasn't the same options available in the summer mind you. Likes of Arbroath coming in for hetherington and the will of a number to go part time means they must have managed to arrange other employment. We also had a good number of injuries at the start of the season which wouldn't have helped as it meant some of these guys had to play. If they are playing at that point you don't really want to tell them they can leave.

Ross, Wilson, Sneddon and Malcolm didn’t start a competitive game. Hetherington was played though so think it’s fair to say he wanted to judge him better. 

Need to find the quote but there was definitely something said about him deliberately not getting rid of too many to not upset the squad harmony or something.  

Edited by Van_damage

I’m both amazed and delighted you’ve kept McGlynn. I actually think there’s a fair chance you stroll it next season despite him. Shaping up to be a piss easy league I think.

Edited by Enigma

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I’m both amazed and delighted you’ve kept McGlynn. I actually think there’s a fair chance you stroll it next season despite him. Shaping up to be a piss easy league I think.

Don't necessarily disagree with you, but we've also heard this line every year since 2019:lol:

28 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Could be wrong but seem to remember it was intentional to hold on to some. He did have from the start of May to the beginning of September to move them on if he pleased so would’ve thought it as achievable to move them on before then rather than January. 

Any idea what that would have cost to move them on? Maybe that was the reason? 

25 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dunfermline were relegated massively under-performing under two managers who didn't work out at all though. The players were largely fundamentally sound and a competent manager, and Benedictus to knit them together, got a tune out of them again. Falkirk's base was nothing like as good.

Not really following why he could get rid of people in January but not in the summer window? Unless it's the cup run money that moved the goalposts, is it?

Well it would have been a lot cheaper for one thing, but as said, he claimed he didn't actually want to get rid of them "for squad harmony" which I'm not entirely sure I buy.

I'd rather Airdrie went up than Hamilton stay. As well as being our bogey team, they have been one of the form teams in the last quarter or so and could carry that momentum into next season if they manage to keep the core of their team. Seems to be a lot of discontent amongst the Accies support and their financial situation sounds far from rosey. I'd expect them to be a weaker challenger than Airdrie next season.

Wasn't that long ago we were hoping Hearts, Hibs and Rangers would vacate the Championship to give us a clearer run at the title. Better times 😔

Edited by lanky_ffc

3 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Don't necessarily disagree with you, but we've also heard this line every year since 2019:lol:

You’ve replaced Dunfermline with Paul Hartley’s Cove. If Airdrie, who’ve looked on the up for a few years, go up you’ll get Hamilton who are conversely on the spiral down. Stirling and Annan are likely to come up and I wouldn't expect either to be at the top end of the table. It’s an easier league. Quite jealous if Annan come up, not had the chance to head away down there.

Edited by Enigma

13 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

That is impossible given McGlynn signed 18 or his own players.

That is what was reported many times by the board so just going by that. What was said was 60% of the playing budget was used on the players that were already signed up.

You are right he brought in many but several of those 18 were on loan deals and several didn't come in until January after sending out other players on loan. Players that came in during summer were McGinn, Oliver, Burrel, Lawal, Henderson, Donaldson, Yeats, Mackie, PJ Morrison (am I missing anyone?). The others were loans which are then offset by sending other players out on loan meaning potentially getting to a net zero cost. So I reckon that could work out as the 60% to 40% as was stated. Especially if reports that our previous players were quite overpaid are true.

Anyway tbh the point still stands: he had to do A LOT of work to get those 18 players in (loan or not) with a limited budget because of what we did have contracted. We are now starting from a position where the players we have are of a significantly higher standard than last year so the rest of the budget can (and better) be spent on further improvement. 

2 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Last time Cove were down they strolled it, hoping the poor season has killed their confidence

They looked completely done by the end of the season. Think bringing in Hartley did more harm than good. I doubt they’ll be a force.

21 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Just trying to be balanced with regards to what is said. I am on the side of McGlynn to be honest out but just wondering if it’s fair to say McGlynn was left with some duds when he maybe had the potential to shift them on but chose not to?

Can understand @Blame Me’s point about not leaving us short but I think Burrell was the last to come in on the 1st of August so still had a full month to try move more on and get some in. Apart from Hetherington the rest barely featured even in the League Cup games when McGlynn was still building our squad. 

One other aspect is the continual theme of "churn". Trying to integrate too many players all at once as per the Hartley experience - which I wish was a cruise ship band instead of a recurring nightmare - could be another explanation as to why many remained

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Nailed on that Brad McKay will be used as an excuse at least 20 times by Christmas.

Not if he isn’t there he won’t be