The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Have you completely missed the fact he did as much of an overhaul as possible, but huge amounts of guff clogged us up until they could be heaved in January.

Everything these Pars fans write is in pursuit of painting James McPake as some sort of managerial messiah. I mean, the guy did a really good job, but the gymnastics you see from them rabbitting on about how their squad that came down was utter dung, but then also how little signings they made, and how he turned water to wine etc.... 

Dunfermline had a better squad than us. McPake was significantly more competent than the fools who rpeceded him. That combination was enough to pish the league.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Everything these Pars fans write is in pursuit of painting James McPake as some sort of managerial messiah. I mean, the guy did a really good job, but the gymnastics you see from them rabbitting on about how their squad that came down was utter dung, but then also how little signings they made, and how he turned water to wine etc.... 

Dunfermline had a better squad than us. McPake was significantly more competent than the fools who rpeceded him. That combination was enough to pish the league.

Exactly. Id love to have seen Mcpake trying to make players out of the likes of Jaime Wilson and seb Ross.

2 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

If manager roles were reversed, I think Mcpake would have won the league with the resource and squad Falkirk had.

Would've depended a lot on his recruitment. He wouldn't have got away with bringing a handful in for us last season. 

No doubt the season ended in the worst way possible but the more I think about it the less I think we need to start from scratch. 

Last season 60% of the budget was taken up by our literal worst ever squad in Falkirk history. With 40% of the budget McGlynn was able to get a team on the park that finished second. 

This summer he has more than 40% to play with and the ones that are signed are no where near the likes of what we had to start with last season. Even those that were here I would argue are improved. We are starting from a better baseline and he has more to play with. Saying that, absolutely NO EXCUSES this coming season. 

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Have you completely missed the fact he did as much of an overhaul as possible, but huge amounts of guff clogged us up until they could be heaved in January.

Did McGlynn not hold on to some of the players he got rid in January though? Seem to remember him saying about how it would affect squad harming by getting rid of too many. 

Certainly couldn’t understand why he could’ve got rid of them in January but not earlier in the year as we ended up paying most of their full wages till then without them featuring.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment around the theory of keeping McGlynn but although he’s received numerous red dots I can buy into a bit of what Bairn in Exile is saying in his post.

McGlynn’s team next year will be his, the type of football we see will be completely his and there will be no excuses. He has to show that he can adapt and that there is a plan A,B,C etc etc. If come October/November he and his team aren’t showing that he will be gone and we will be back to square one.

The board are in a horrible position because if things go well they will be praised and if it goes tits up, the nay sayers amongst us will say they should have got rid now. They are very much damned if they do, damned if they don’t at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Did McGlynn not hold on to some of the players he got rid in January though? Seem to remember him saying about how it would affect squad harming by getting rid of too many. 

Certainly couldn’t understand why he could’ve got rid of them in January but not earlier in the year as we ended up paying most of their full wages till then without them featuring.

Because they couldnt leave as it wasnt a transfer window

7 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Nailed on that Brad McKay will be used as an excuse at least 20 times by Christmas.

I'm sure he will but this is exactly what I mean. If he is staying, being given a second year, being given (likely) the largest budget and backing from the board then even Brad McKay cannot be used as an excuse by that point. 

Saying that while Brad had a nightmare the last few weeks, I'd still say even he is improved on last season.... not that it took much 😅

11 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I agree with a lot of the sentiment around the theory of keeping McGlynn but although he’s received numerous red dots I can buy into a bit of what Bairn in Exile is saying in his post.

McGlynn’s team next year will be his, the type of football we see will be completely his and there will be no excuses. He has to show that he can adapt and that there is a plan A,B,C etc etc. If come October/November he and his team aren’t showing that he will be gone and we will be back to square one.

The board are in a horrible position because if things go well they will be praised and if it goes tits up, the nay sayers amongst us will say they should have got rid now. They are very much damned if they do, damned if they don’t at the moment.

I also agree with a lot of this, I'm a bit more hopeful that this won't be the case though. I think the board are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Getting rid of him has the risk of continuing the cycle, getting another manager who fails and then uses the same excuses of "its not my squad." Having him stay has the risk of what you have said, trying to restructure mid season which is even more difficult... Either way it is bad. I am more inclined to try what we have not done truly for a good ten years now... stick with the manager and give more time but that could prove to be the wrong plan as well.

Edited by Jimmy1876
Spelling

20 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Saying that while Brad had a nightmare the last few weeks, I'd still say even he is improved on last season.... not that it took much 😅

Would agree with that. He was dire last week but not nearly as calamitous as last season in previous games.

30 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

He has to show that he can adapt and that there is a plan A,B,C etc etc

You’ll be waiting a long time for that, he’s not even got a plan B yet alone C… he makes like for like subs and he’ll still play the same way for the simple fact he’s stubborn plus doesn’t really know how to change it tbh 

8 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

You’ll be waiting a long time for that, he’s not even got a plan B yet alone C… he makes like for like subs and he’ll still play the same way for the simple fact he’s stubborn plus doesn’t really know how to change it tbh 

I actually think there is a plan B and C, but he doesn't train it so when he suddenly tries to change formation it just goes down like a tonne of bricks because none of the players know what they are supposed to be doing. Then he can say his initial formation was better

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Maybe he's like a reverse Beetlejuice, try saying his name three times in a row and see what happens.

Tried that for a few seasons now - nothing 😒

"F**king Brad McKay, F**king Brad f**king McKay ... for f**ksake BRAD MCKAY"! 🤦‍♂️

11 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Because it’s not as simple as that. Neither Dunfermline or Airdrie play rigid “one up front”. Just look at who scored the goals against us. McGlynn’s 4-2-3-1 is meat and drink to a disciplined 4-3-3 that then modifies to Something different when they have the ball back…..usually 3-2-2-3. It’s been going on for a couple of years now, but McGlynn is sticking with the only thing he knows. He isn’t going to change.

You could see he has similarities to Sheerin in that respect. His dig at the support “you wanted two strikers so we gave you two strikers so then you moan that the shape is wrong. Shape has nothing to do with it” was him saying “I know best” when clearly, the penny hasn’t dropped that younger coaches have moved on, and he is left with his outdated system, and in fact, he doesn’t know best….not by a long chalk.

His only real chance of winning the league is if he is given funds to blow everyone else out of the water.

For the last 6-8 weeks he played 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond only once I think going back to his usual set up in that time.
Up to that point we had been unbeaten in the league and SC from early November (lost only to Dundee in the CHC) playing 4-2-3-1. 
I would wager had he stuck to the formation he had been playing at Airdrie we would never have lost heavily and would have got the game back to TFS with a chance of winning. I said we should never have played that we pre the game on 2/3 occasions. That error still sits with McGlynn but to say that formation doesn’t work is forgetting the success we had with it right up to the game at EEP

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Because they couldnt leave as it wasnt a transfer window

Could be wrong but seem to remember it was intentional to hold on to some. He did have from the start of May to the beginning of September to move them on if he pleased so would’ve thought it as achievable to move them on before then rather than January.