The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

At the AGM McGlynn stated he sees Henderson as a CH, although Henderson prefers playing in midfield.

FTV Lewis stating on the Falkirk Daft podcast that Henderson confirmed he wants to be a centre-back 🤨

23 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

What's the view on Darren Young?

Very good manager that probably deserves a crack at Full Time football....but with a good job at Remax (I believe), would he want it?? Certainly someone the Falkirk board should be looking at when you consider the job he did at Albion Rovers, East Fife and so far at ourselves.

I could go into details as to why I think this, but I'm obviously aware that it would be going off topic on this thread.

PS - He plays 2 up front 😂

Guest Ecosse83
1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

Thanks for proving my point 👏

What are you actually talking about mate? You are making no sense at all 😂

44 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

At the AGM McGlynn stated he sees Henderson as a CH, although Henderson prefers playing in midfield.

He was your best areal threat against us. Quite surprised McGlynn subbed him off on Saturday. He's well suited to arriving in the box late to get on the end of crosses. Harder to mark that way. 

Edit: So what I mean by that is, he'd be well suited to a midfield role over a CB role I reckon. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

1 minute ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

He was your best areal threat against us. Quite surprised McGlynn subbed him off on Saturday. He's well suited to arriving in the box late to get on the end of crosses. Harder to mark that way. 

Edit: So what I mean by that is, he'd be well suited to a midfield role over a CB role I reckon. 

Doesnt do anything with the headers. It's all fine and well getting to them but continuously heading them out for a goal kick doesn't cut it.

1 minute ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Doesnt do anything with the headers. It's all fine and well getting to them but continuously heading them out for a goal kick doesn't cut it.

Fair enough. Still, he was at least getting on the end of them, unlike anyone else. Mental that McGlynn sets you up in a way to throw countless balls into the box, without really having someone decent to aim at. You've players of ability who could easily pass their way into the box, the same way McCabe has Airdrie playing. Yes work it down the channels, but then play through the defence to create scoring opportunities. We've scored for fun that way this season. In Morrison and Kennedy you had two players who could shred defences, but neither were that good at crossing. McGlynn didn't use them to the best of their abilities in my opinion. That whole run down the wing and throw a cross in is exactly why he shows himself up as a dinosaur. Zero flexibility in his approach. One trick pony stuff. 

35 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

I simply can't wait for John McGlynn's end of season round up on the FFC website.

Our season finished on Tues 9th and he still hasn't given us his summation of this season's campaign

Presumably, like most football clubs, after the last game the staff go on holiday for a week or two.

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Fair enough. Still, he was at least getting on the end of them, unlike anyone else. Mental that McGlynn sets you up in a way to throw countless balls into the box, without really having someone decent to aim at. You've players of ability who could easily pass their way into the box, the same way McCabe has Airdrie playing. Yes work it down the channels, but then play through the defence to create scoring opportunities. We've scored for fun that way this season. In Morrison and Kennedy you had two players who could shred defences, but neither were that good at crossing. McGlynn didn't use them to the best of their abilities in my opinion. That whole run down the wing and throw a cross in is exactly why he shows himself up as a dinosaur. Zero flexibility in his approach. One trick pony stuff. 

We didn't play at all like that, until the last couple of months. Utterly obsessed with wingers floating it in from any angle. I think Dunfermline away broke him

I said:

I understand fans want things to immediately click ...

You replied:

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

Or just sign a better centre back 🤷‍♂️

Which proved my point that rather than try and develop the players we just go out and sign "better".

7 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

What are you actually talking about mate? You are making no sense at all 😂

... So I'll explain - although I didn't think it was that difficult 🤦‍♂️  -

Since Henderson doesn't want to play midfield and others - I'll assume yourself too - don't want him in midfield the two options are bench or offload him.

In either scenario we're now signing two players to solve CB and midfield to potentially solve one problem. We've also then continued to do what has gotten us nowhere for the best part of 4-years of rebuilding a squad but never actually doing any squad building!

Henderson is miles away from the Seb Ross's or Brad McKay's of the recent past and I think there is a role for him ongoing. 

Guest Ecosse83

I said:

You replied:

Which proved my point that rather than try and develop the players we just go out and sign "better".

... So I'll explain - although I didn't think it was that difficult 🤦‍♂️  -

Since Henderson doesn't want to play midfield and others - I'll assume yourself too - don't want him in midfield the two options are bench or offload him.

In either scenario we're now signing two players to solve CB and midfield to potentially solve one problem. We've also then continued to do what has gotten us nowhere for the best part of 4-years of rebuilding a squad but never actually doing any squad building!

Henderson is miles away from the Seb Ross's or Brad McKay's of the recent past and I think there is a role for him ongoing. 

You clearly didn’t go to the early games and see Henderson attempt to play centre back I take it?  😂

I prefer Henderson in midfield and have never said I didn’t like him there so don’t assume bud! 

I want us to sign a commanding centre back to partner Donaldson, Henderson isn’t that player! 

Henderson's a difficult one as he did have a few shockers at centre back for us. Allan, Agyeman & Higginbotham all bullied him and then there was the stupid penalty he gave away at Dunfermline. 

He provided a bit of fight in our midfield but him and McGinn don't work in the same midfield against teams where we're going to dominate the ball.

3 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

He did pop a fair number down into the box near the penalty spot. The problem with that is we never seemed to have anyone on the park who remembered he was going to try and do that. 

Edited by GMBairn

Something else that annoyed me was that Mackie and PJ must've kicked the ball out of play about 10 times between them under no pressure. Worst one was PJ kicking it out from a free kick. Also the fact 2 of our players went up for the same ball 3 times, 1 resulting in the goal and 1 resulting in Max being headbutted