The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

@Back Post Misses shared a link to a Grismby fans forum saying their keeper Max Crocombe had already signed with us.

Don’t mind the look of that tbh, seems to have appeared for them in every game this season just about.

Imagine he’s on higher wages there so would be good business to get him to join up.

41 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Not a chance in hell of it happening (and a section of our support would have a meltdown if it did) but I wouldn't be that sorry to see McGinn away. Don't dislike him but would rather see his presumably not inconsiderable wage spent on someone a bit younger and more mobile. We are chronically slow. 

McGlynn appears intent on keeping as much of this season's lot together as he can. I think that would be a massive mistake, but it's his call. For me thanks and cheerio to Oliver, McGuffie, Watson, PJ and Burrell (a bit torn on the latter but I don't think it's really going to happen under this manager). Retain Lawall. If any offer at all is received for C Morrison take it. Inform both of the centre halves that we won't be hard to deal with if they can get fixed up elsewhere. Loan players I'd like to see return: Max and Kennedy (neither will). Wasn't unimpressed with Rowe at times but would rather look at someone like Kyle McDonald. 

McGlynn needs to start making some hard decisions about squad composition if he wants to remain in a job for any length of time. But I doubt he will.

Good post. Especially the bit about CH's. Both are murder and we really need to consider other options.

10 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Falkirk definitely deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as those teams listed. 

Tremendous content. 😂😂

the entire point of the post is that the fans should expect nothing less than promotion. The utter apathy of a huge section of the fans allows the club to continually fail with zero repercussion.

5 fucking seasons we'll now have been in this part time league and not once in 4 have we mounted a serious challenge.

The team is a disgrace. the manager is fucking clueless and the board need to understand it is not acceptable

This just reminds me of the McKinnon situation after we were relegated. We kept him on beyond what we should have because he joined at a difficult time and therefore felt obliged to give him longer despite it being clear he wasn’t good enough. 
we need to cut our loses now because the damage of keeping McGlynn on is far more harmful. 

Wouldn't be opposed to seeing McGinn move to a more managerial apprenticeship type position, assistant coach or something. Think he has a good head on him and will be good as a future manager after a bit of experience and think his time as a player is approaching its end

28 minutes ago, HopeStreetCadette said:

I like McGinn as a player, although his legs have gone for the most part. I think he’s a decent squad player to have who could cover for injuries/come on to provide stability when needed. I wouldn’t punt him but long-term he shouldn’t be in the starting lineup.

Would this not be an issue with the reserve team and requiring those who aren’t playing in the first team to make up the numbers? If McGinn isn’t able to play all games then would seem unlikely he’d be available for reserve matches so would need more cover. 

My own thought on McGinn is he can look good if the rest of the team is on form, picking up the ball in a lot of space and putting the ball in to decent areas however I don’t think he reads the game well enough as a defensive midfielder and given the tight budget we need someone who can get forward more and able to play in as many games as possible. 

While the tie was a good as gone, the fact that Lawal didn’t get more minutes is ludicrous and should be talked about more.

He brings that unpredictability factor and the fact he barely appeared given the fact we looked totally out of ideas and creativity is mental to me. Should be getting a serious look in starting next season if McGlynn has any bit of credibility.

Edited by HopeStreetCadette

8 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

There is absolutely nothing in McGlynn’s history that says he will turn this around. A serial play off failure, and a man with a pretty poor track record of league wins over the course of an entire season.
The “it’s not yet my squad” is just garbage……it’s one of the last resorts to go for a struggling manager.

Was McPake handed “his squad”? Was McCabe handed “his squad”? No they weren’t, but McGlynn will grasp at it because he knows he is in bother.

McGlynn is guaranteed next season because the BoD don’t want to be seen to have gotten the appointment wrong, and the financials of terminating his contract and replacing him will already have been calculated against what they think they will lose by keeping him. Money matters most.

I don’t think that the message “buy your STs to give John and Paul as much money as possible” is a winner at this point in time.

ST revenue, FSS revenue, Commercial revenue and the club’s own FFF revenue are all going to become a tougher ask in the next year.

If McGlynn gets us to the play offs (because he is staying), then maybe that’s the time for the club to take Caraticus Potts advice.

Your posts are long and often have some good points but this is just such bad faith shite it needs calling out.

He’ll be in the post next year because the board thinks he is the best man for the job - for a variety of reasons (improvement, lack of alternatives, reduced funds if we sack him, positive early summer signings sewn up). Not any conspiracy nonsense about covering their own back. It’s quackery like this that drowns out a lot of good points made on the forum. 

Folk like Oliver and Nesbitt staying on the premise that they are squad players is fine, but if we were to begin next season with either in our starting 11, I’d find that very concerning.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

Going over old ground again but the idea of "digging deeper" to fund, what  some quarters would have you believe, one of - if not - the biggest budget in L1 is going to be a stretch regardless of who's in charge. 

Misunderstood by many - which has possibly led to the claim above - is the "football budget" encompasses not only the 1st team but all of the others we have or plan to have.

As alluded to in the podcast I mentioned, we have immediately taken the 400K hit by staying in L1 next year albeit mitigated by this seasons cup run and whatever play-off monies we get.

I think the inherent flaw in the model of creating a "sustainable" club is that initiatives like FSS or FF are unsustainable whilst it appears that the money isn't making a jot of difference to our outcomes!

That's not a slight on those schemes btw but eventually, like ST, people will begin to question where the money goes IF vast improvement doesn't materialise when compared to clubs run on a fraction of our budget and support seem to live within their means (at least from the outside) while making us look mediocre at best.

Airdrie a great example: Competing on a seemingly modest budget, operating a winning youth side; having a transient fanbase and no sugar-daddy. I'm sure Airdrie fans/someone will be along to put me right soon enough if none of that's accurate.

I posted a while back about the possible ST pricing and latter announcement and floated a figure which was an inflationary increase + FSS sub combined and posters baulked at that. However, in essence that is what we're being asked to do whoever leads the team.

Thanks if you made it this far!

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Your posts are long and often have some good points but this is just such bad faith shite it needs calling out.

I’ll be in the post next year because the board thinks I am the best man for the job - for a variety of reasons (improvement, lack of alternatives, reduced funds if we sack him, positive early summer signings sewn up). Not any conspiracy nonsense about covering their own back. It’s quackery like this that drowns out a lot of good points made on the forum. 

FTFY (seen your avatar and couldn’t resist, sorry).

My worry is with his and our obsession with a  “squad”. Look at Airdrie, Dunfermline, Partick. Small first eleven that had the quality to turn it on and go on a run. I fear we’re spunking too much on the middling bunch to really  punch our way to any success 

6 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

My worry is with his and our obsession with a  “squad”. Look at Airdrie, Dunfermline, Partick. Small first eleven that had the quality to turn it on and go on a run. I fear we’re spunking too much on the middling bunch to really  punch our way to any success 

Was in not McGlynn when he first came in that said he needed two players for each slot ?

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Was in not McGlynn when he first came in that said he needed two players for each slot ?

Said he normally works on the rule of 3 for each position. We already have versatile players still contracted for next season so lets hope we're spending the summer signing players who are going to improve the starting line up.

17 minutes ago, Springfield said:

If correct that does worry me. What’s the point in a 22 if you don’t know what your 11 is? 

45 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

the entire point of the post is that the fans should expect nothing less than promotion. The utter apathy of a huge section of the fans allows the club to continually fail with zero repercussion.

5 fucking seasons we'll now have been in this part time league and not once in 4 have we mounted a serious challenge.

The team is a disgrace. the manager is fucking clueless and the board need to understand it is not acceptable

On a day of shrill, entitled crying from yourself I find this the funniest bit. 

I'm imagining this whole thing said in the voice Homer makes when he gets all upset about missing the chilli cook off.

XPVrhdECQ0iZLCF-u_Gxlkqoe7DgZQ0goT2CE03yINk.png

26 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Not sure I would necessarily agree with that. I agree with Mcglynn that you’ve got to have a squad with good depth to cater for injuries and suspensions. You also don’t want players knowing they’re guaranteed to play regardless of form.

I also think we’ve struggled a few times previously due to lack of squad depth. 13/14 and 15/16 we had very strong starting 11s but in my view a lack of strong squad cost us promotion.