The Falkirk FC Thread

57 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

All about the signings we make this summer, Agyeman's a decent start but we need more quality all throughout the team. Worryingly he didn't mention centre back as a problem area in his post match interview yesterday.

Who's looking likely to leave you? Wouldn't mind Finlay Robertson.

Almost all the players including Finlay. Would be a good signing for both parties imo.

4 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Are you a member of the FSS? I am and have written to them asking if our representatives on the board intend to issue a statement with regards to what is happening with our management team. I genuinely believe that McGlynn staying in the role as manager will impact negatively on both ST sales and FSS recruitment.

Yes contribute monthly, let us know if you get any reply, thanks 

QP fans on their thread saying Mcpake's ok but his attitude's rotten. Has the skill to beat a man, no real pace and loves cutting in on his right foot.

Sounds very much like what I described him as yesterday, a right footed McGuffie.

A general joint BOD/management team statement about how we intend to progress is probably in order but I think you're probably onto a hiding to nothing demanding a statement on the ongoing employment of someone who is under contract for another year. Its assumed he remains in post under said contract unless the board decide otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Are you a member of the FSS? I am and have written to them asking if our representatives on the board intend to issue a statement with regards to what is happening with our management team. I genuinely believe that McGlynn staying in the role as manager will impact negatively on both ST sales and FSS recruitment.

Only my opinion but the club needs to try and find an investor/investors to work along side the Patrons and FSS. I don’t see the amount of money going in every year being enough to fill the whole. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

A general joint BOD/management team statement about how we intend to progress is probably in order but I think you're probably onto a hiding to nothing demanding a statement on the ongoing employment of someone who is under contract for another year. Its assumed he remains in post under said contract unless the board decide otherwise. 

I demanded nothing, I asked if they were intending on issuing a statement, that's all.

52 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

On performances over the last 5 - 6 seasons we are where we deserve to be, that's a fact.

On potential with regards to fanbase, infrastructure etc., where do you think we should be?

Should the fans just accept being where we are?

Is it really such a sin for the fans to expect us to be doing better than we are, or as you put it, behaving like Billy Big Baws?

There's a rather large gulf between demanding better from your horseshit clowncar outfit festering in the third tier of the seaside leagues, and setting the same expectations as a club that has finished champions of Europe 14 times. 

Just now, Bairn in Exile said:

I demanded nothing, I asked if they were intending on issuing a statement, that's all.

Well yeah... I'm not saying you are demanding something, maybe badly worded on my part, what I mean is they might view it as a bit unprofessional to cone out and start speaking about something that's already taken care of by virtue of the contract in place, and only changes if they decide to enter into a process to terminate the contract. 

4 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Pretty sure most seasons the club has made an end of season statement. I would assume there will be one. If I were them I would be sitting the management team down and finding out why we have gone off the rails in the last 6-8 weeks and what has been learned from it before issuing it. That of course is if they are keeping him as if they were clearing him out the statement would clearly be different 

Edited by Back Post Misses

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Mcglynn doesn't make panic signings I can assure you of that. The amount of scouting and data collection before he signs a player is huge. He doesn't just look at goals and think let's take him. That's nonsense. As mentioned previously on here his attention to detail is over the top probably at times. I'm still of the opinion that he and wright were the favoured front two. Wright had a decent record in the first half of the season but has been so disappointing that that front two never materialised.  I still think Allen will do a decent job for us next season . There have been setbacks in recruitment too. Number of players we wanted in the summer went elsewhere and then losing allegria was a blow at that time. Meekinson getting injured straight away meant another shift to bring in max.  That's still no excuse for the piss poor performances recently but we've certainly not brought in any panic buys.

I think McGlynn’s recruitment has been pretty good but I’m not sure there is any evidence available to back up what you say.

I can’t mind for sure where it was said but i seem to remember reading that Alegria was on the advisement of Brian Graham, Burrell on the advisement of McGinn, Lawal on a showreel and Yeats whilst on trial with us on the back of the Kilmarnock game? 

It doesn’t feel like Jefferies and Brown who scoured the breadth of the country trying to find a gem. As I’m sure you said previously with regards to Holt, it’s not like the other signings- Henderson, McGinn and Donaldson were ones that couldn’t have been identified by the average fan.

The issue for me with McGlynn is that some of the signings barely got a start when it seemed they had something to provide. Yeats was bombed out the starting line up, Burrell was in and out, Lawal rarely started when fit and Allan and Wright had 4 league starts between them having proven they can score goals in this league. 

Add to that young Pearce Carroll showed more in his short cameo appearances at the start of the season than almost any other player but never featured since then. It just felt like the squad had more depth to it than McGlynn chose to utilise. 

Edited by Van_damage

26 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Only my opinion but the club needs to try and find an investor/investors to work along side the Patrons and FSS. I don’t see the amount of money going in every year being enough to fill the whole. 

If the hole can’t be filled though, should we not consider some cut backs and budget within our means? Any investor would still want any money back thats needed to plug the gap so would only likely be a short  term fix like the Rawlins, unless we can find someone who’d be willing to write off the debt. 

I refuse to believe there aren't any part time players who would improve us.

We are at the bottom of the rung for full time players. We'd surely be at or near the top for part time players.

13 hours ago, JinkyBairn said:

Fucked our best shot at the Scottish Cup. Just couldn’t see him in a Falkirk shirt again.

He was the only reason we got to the final in the first place. Blame McCraken for not taking the boy out at the half way line in the build up to the winner.

Edited by glasgow_bairn

Well, have calmed since yesterday but that was a kick in the teeth to end the season. What a fall off a cliff McGlynn has had (and the team - some of the fault is in individually poor performances from players who were flying earlier in the season). In anger I think sack them all. Logically, I really don't know what the answer is. 

The options are keep him: hope he recruits better this summer and hope we start well enough to win title even if performance does fall off at the end as per McGlynns apparent reputation. If we don't start well though we have ruined a potential opportunity for better recruitment availability over summer for a new manager and have recruited a full McGlynn team who a new manager will have to bed in and use the same excuses of "not my team, not my plan".  Attendances at matches would drop off and we lose money, not to forget a potential drop off in season ticket money and FSS membership drop which at the moment is actually a pretty large contribution. 

Alternatively, we sack mcglynn and hire someone else. We continue on the merry-go-round  of management, with the main spine of a team that does not belong to them. We start with the standard, a "give them time to settle" rhetoric, potentially seeing an initial new manager jump with a good start but does that begin to fall off? Who do we recruit? Is there someone that much better that is likely to join? Do we have money to get rid of McGlynn? Is it more or less risky than sticking? 

There is a lot to be said for stability and I think its something we have all been waiting for and wanting... but does that stability come with McGlynn? I just don't know. A lot of questions to be answered, don't envy the board on this one at all. 

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

There was well over 4000 at yesterday’s game that’s a brilliant attendance for any club outwith the premier league.  I don’t know how many away supporters were there

Falkirk, as far as I was aware, were usually pretty decent at releasing attendances and number of away fans but I've not seen anything this time. One of the staff at the ground told me they had been advised to expect up to 1500 away fans which at the time I was dismissive of but there was a decent number in the stand by kick off although hard to tell when your sitting in it.

13 hours ago, JinkyBairn said:

Fucked our best shot at the Scottish Cup. Just couldn’t see him in a Falkirk shirt again.

If the experienced, old-head McCracken had taken the smart booking at the halfway line McDonald isn't forced to make a save in the first place 

32 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

If the hole can’t be filled though, should we not consider some cut backs and budget within our means? Any investor would still want any money back thats needed to plug the gap so would only likely be a short  term fix like the Rawlins, unless we can find someone who’d be willing to write off the debt. 

It is a bit of a vicious circle. Spend less money on the team usually, not always, leads to a slip in quality. Airdrie of course this season have proven it can be done. 
We need investment. I believe had the Rawlins continued to be involved they would have continued to invest.