The Falkirk FC Thread

I think it's fair to say that it's not unanimous that we should punt McGlynn. I think that's the majority view but maybe 60/40.

If you see Twitter or the Facebook cesspit he has plenty of backing.

My favourite this morning is 'Last season we were 10 points off 9th. Thos season it's 43'

We really do have the club we deserve with those kind of fans. 

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

The strategy of resting players and mucking about with formations in the last few games of the season certainly didn't work in the play offs. We'd have been better playing the guys that were going to play, in the formation we were going to play and making sure everyone knew their roles and responsibilities.

I think that’s the biggest question come end of season. Do you go for continuity or try options. I’ve always been on the Team Continuity but this season Airdrie tried a couple of new things- especially at the back and I think it really worked for us. Had we gone into our games with you with players injured or lost to red cards during play, I was a lot more confident of our bench that I would have been- and I think our manager would have been too. 

Big Byrd who I thought had been a nightmare in his brief cameos, came through two games (well 1 game and 75mins as he’d struggled at start of his first game) looking a lot more confident and secure which certainly made me more relaxed. So I’d say I’m now steam Tinker

Have to say I don’t get the narrative about how this is somehow not Mcglynn’s squad. He’s been backed to sign 18 new players (and given a £150k budget increase to do so).

You then have Morrison (who has been named player of the season), McCann (who has been one of our best players Imo) and Nesbitt (who he has given a 2 year deal).

That then leaves Williamson, McKay, Watson and Mcguffie as players who he’d perhaps rather have punted, but again he has often played these guys in front of his own signings or in some cases, they have not been fit. 

If that can’t be called McGlynn’s squad, I’m not sure what can given that very few managers get the chance to totally start from scratch.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Is sticking my McGlynn not just accepting League 1 football given that’s what he’s given us ?

Or coming to terms with the fact a pay off and a rebuild every summer isn't feasible? 

McGlynn's interview yesterday alludes to the fact he felt hamstrung with the budget last summer given the 14 players we had left over, this summer he doesn't have that excuse.

If we appoint a new manager and it goes the same way they'll have the exact same excuse. 

There's no doubt he's failed this season but sacking a manager every summer just isn't working. 

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Or coming to terms with the fact a pay off and a rebuild every summer isn't feasible? 

McGlynn's interview yesterday alludes to the fact he felt hamstrung with the budget last summer given the 14 players we had left over, this summer he doesn't have that excuse.

If we appoint a new manager and it goes the same way they'll have the exact same excuse. 

There's no doubt he's failed this season but sacking a manager every summer just isn't working. 

But the budget excuse simply does not make any sense given he’s been backed to bring in 18 players and has actively chosen to extend the deals of some of those he inherited.

19 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Absolutely not. No one is. What I am saying is that there is a large section of the support either unsure what is for best or would probably stick with McGlynn. 

Of course there's uncertainty it can be nothing else due to the situation we are in.

Good % of the squad that failed this season will be in next seasons and they ain't going to get better if anything too many are on a downward spiral and be the core of the side.

The uncertainty comes from the doubt that the quality signings required ain't going to be interested mainly due to the player churn over the last 5 years. 

McGlynn will stay if for no other reason there is no alternative.

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It does appear there is quite the split down the middle with our opinions on McGlynn as BPM alluded too !!

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

That would be a good narrative if we'd started really slowly and finished like a train once he got to recruit more.

It's not true though. This is 1000% his squad, he's been massively backed to recruit it and we're worse than we were in January imo.

I know having a go at fellow fans isn’t the route to go down, but you do forget how bad that COYB page is man. We could have finished bottom and you’d still get folk going “disappointing season but we’ll bounce back next year come on falkirk!!!”

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

But the budget excuse simply does not make any sense given he’s been backed to bring in 18 players and has actively chosen to extend the deals of some of those he inherited.

It does as he may feel we missed out on targets last summer due to the fact we didn't have enough available money for them at the time. Didn't the budget only get increased in August as McGlynn still thought the squad was miles away?

5 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Is it not just Nesbitt who is in that bracket ? 

3 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

That would be a good narrative if we'd started really slowly and finished like a train once he got to recruit more.

It's not true though. This is 1000% his squad, he's been massively backed to recruit it and we're worse than we were in January imo.

But we were better in February than November. 🤷‍♂️There has something happened and McGlynn I hope will be pushed to explain that to the Board. 

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Worse in March and April though…

Exactly the point I am making. What has happened - McGlynn needs to explain 

20 minutes ago, Springfield said:

For me this is where the club needs to focus. It’s obvious that our model isn’t/hasn’t worked, we continue to sign bang average players, and if McCann is on £750 it’s easy to see where our issues are. It now time to look at the players that are better than ours but may be suited to PT/hybrid model football. I’ve witnessed many good players over the past few seasons that are better, but because of decent jobs, they are not interested in full time. We need to at least explore this model, as the one we have is slowly strangling the club. 

I don’t even think you need to be going near part time. Avoiding paying well over the odds (I don’t think there was a queue of suitors for McCann. He’s not awful in any way, he just always has been better going forwards and found wanting when teams pin him back with constant long balls down his side). 

Just pay the going rate for stand out League 1 talent and avoid short termism like signing Jordan Allan when any analysis of his career to date would suggest that he wasn’t a stick on to fire you to promotion. You could have got him in the summer for no fee if your recruitment team believe he has the fundamentals to take you up the leagues.

Let’s say Allan cost £10k, that’s the same as 41.67 people paying £20 into FSS for a year. Or one person paying into FSS for 41 and a half years and that’s before you pay him any wages.

No harm to the lad, but it doesn’t feel prudent in any way.

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Exactly the point I am making. What has happened - McGlynn needs to explain 

The Dunfermline 2-0 game happened and it petered out, with the cup run perhaps a distraction. 

Players went off the boil for too long then the big games came and it was deer in headlights time.

9 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

But we were better in February than November. 🤷‍♂️There has something happened and McGlynn I hope will be pushed to explain that to the Board. 

This is very true. 

Seemed to me;

-the loss to Dunfermline and the Cup run meant the team just switched off. And you can’t really turn form back on. 
-other teams worked out how to play us and we never really had an answer to that. 

18 minutes ago, Sub Parr said:

I think that’s the biggest question come end of season. Do you go for continuity or try options. I’ve always been on the Team Continuity but this season Airdrie tried a couple of new things- especially at the back and I think it really worked for us. Had we gone into our games with you with players injured or lost to red cards during play, I was a lot more confident of our bench that I would have been- and I think our manager would have been too. 

Big Byrd who I thought had been a nightmare in his brief cameos, came through two games (well 1 game and 75mins as he’d struggled at start of his first game) looking a lot more confident and secure which certainly made me more relaxed. So I’d say I’m now steam Tinker

Airdrie’s board were brave to bring in such a young manager and showed a lot of trust in him when you were having a spell of poor form at the start of the season.

What you are saying is you have a young coach, who has proved this season he can overcome adversity and has also learned to be flexible with his tactics both pre and during games.

Sounds like he’s done very well.

38 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

It feels very much today - and has been building for weeks - like many posters are looking for any negatives to justify sacking the management.

Stats, signings, tactics, interviews etc.

This last few weeks have been disappointing and frustrating but we haven't been good enough. 

We can go through signings 'til the cows come home but many weren't expected to play as much (Lawal, Yeats, Carroll, Burrell) and others were learning the game (Rowe, Wright, Alegria - recalled when he was beginning to make a difference, Meekison - who promptly got injured). 

A lot of ifs, buts and maybes and the squad fell short but to rip it up and start again with no guarantees that it'd work.

Edited by Blame Me

12 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

You’re obviously obsessed with us, knowing what we’ve done and not done. I don’t give a fcuk about DAFC, 

You got handed 500 grand during Covid from the Scottish Government the only Full Time teams that didn’t receive this was ourselves and Partick. That has to have benefitted DAFC. or did you hand that to the creditors you shafted  10 years ago with your CVA  zero pence in £. after years of being funded by a crook. 

You got a manager that for a period in time has got a tune out of guys Hughes couldn’t. Your manager is not the messiah and some of the players you mention you’re getting a tune out of  have no sellable value. Maybe next year they will be back to being mediocre again ?  That’s what you get with players at this level. Hughes is also a balloon a probably the main reason you got relegated. 

Airdrie have a guy who scored on Tuesday and has looked ok in two games this week that was a donkey with us. 

There is little reliability or consistency with any players at this level.

what an embarrassment you are mate 😂😂😂