The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Braes_Bairn said:

What would your reaction have been a couple of years ago when your mates weren’t running the show? 

John McGlynn wasn’t the manager 2 years ago. 

23 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I will lose my shit on Saturday if we get a cautious approach. If we really go for it and get pumped then so be it but if we don’t really come out all guns blazing then McGlynn can f**k off for me.

If McGlynn has any chance of remotely getting the deficit reduced, he needs to literally go 4 3 3 and absolutely go for it straight ball from back to top. 
Can’t wait to see how he sets the team up.

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I can just image the situation if the old BOD had been in charge after Tuesday…….

The difference now being the club is no longer controlled by the MSG and if enough of us feel that way with fan ownership we elect 4 from the 6 guys currently sitting on the board. At the end of the day it was the fans that put  these people in place. John and Nigel elected via the FSS, Kenny and Keith elected via the patrons group. 

49 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Looks very clear now that the board are going to keep him on and are starting to put out feelers to that effect 

I am sure the supporters Board are well capable of fighting their own corner and tell the support why they will be keeping him or tipping him out. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

2 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

The difference now being the club is no longer controlled by the MSG and if enough of us feel that way with fan ownership we elect 4 from the 6 guys currently sitting on the board. At the end of the day it was the fans that put  these people in place. John and Nigel elected via the FSS, Kenny and Keith elected via the patrons group. 

Some just don’t get that if they are not satisfied they can work to get these people replaced 

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

If McGlynn has any chance of remotely getting the deficit reduced, he needs to literally go 4 3 3 and absolutely go for it straight ball from back to top. 
Can’t wait to see how he sets the team up.

Is this not what we done on Tuesday when airdrie played straight through us?  At no point did I want him to play both Burrel and Oliver from the start like some fans were calling for but he did, we missed the extra man in the middle of the park and we lost the game via a combination of airdrie playing straight through our midfield and some calamitous defending.  

Edited by LatapyBairn.

He "went for it" on Tuesday and it went badly wrong. Two up front, diamond midfield, full backs pressing up. Hoofball over the top for Burrell to chase.  It took Airdrie 3 minutes to work out this meant only 2 defenders and a defensive midfielder and they tore us apart. Again and again and again and again and again and again (including the one off the bar) and he stood watching doing f**k all!

It only eased off in the second half because Airdrie stopped, not because of anything Mr Magoo in the tracksuit did. 

5 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Is this not what we done on Tuesday when airdrie played straight through us?  At no point did I want him to play both Burrel and Oliver from the start like some fans were calling for but he did, we missed the extra man in the middle of the park and we lost the game via a combination of airdrie playing straight through our midfield and some calamitous defending.  

No, we played the diamond on Tuesday

3 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Is this not what we done on Tuesday when airdrie played straight through us?  I at no point wanted him to play both Burrel and Oliver from the start but he did, we missed the extra man in the middle of the park and we lost the game via a combination or airdrie playing straight through our midfield and some calamitous defending.  

He played a 4-4-2 diamond with Burrell and Oliver up top and Kennedy at the top of it and McGinn at the foot. It needed IMO two in front of the back 4 and three in front of them to stifle midfield. We all saw the consequence. 

5 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

He "went for it" on Tuesday and it went badly wrong. Two up front, diamond midfield, full backs pressing up. Hoofball over the top for Burrell to chase.  It took Airdrie 3 minutes to work out this meant only 2 defenders and a defensive midfielder and they tore us apart. Again and again and again and again and again and again (including the one off the bar) and he stood watching doing f**k all!

It only eased off in the second half because Airdrie stopped, not because of anything Mr Magoo in the tracksuit did. 

TBF he did change the shape at HT however by then Airdire had decided to hold onto what they had. IMO if nearly backfired on them as had they played the same way it would have been much worse for us. 

4 minutes ago, Rennieball said:

No, we played the diamond on Tuesday

Correct! My point was not specific to the formation, he “went for it” on Tuesday playing the two up top, sacrificing a midfielder and looked what happened. Our best spell in the season during that long unbeaten run was where we were playing 4-2-3-1 with the three in behind breaking lines and getting up to support Oliver. There’s been a bit of tinkering since and we have never properly got back to that. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

TBF he did change the shape at HT however by then Airdire had decided to hold onto what they had. IMO if nearly backfired on them as had they played the same way it would have been much worse for us. 

Tbf mate Airdrie could have taken 2 players off at halftime, not replaced them and still beat us. We were pish

5 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Correct! My point was not specific to the formation, he “went for it” on Tuesday playing the two up top, sacrificing a midfielder and looked what happened. Our best spell in the season during that long unbeaten run was where we were playing 4-2-3-1 with the three in behind breaking lines and getting up to support Oliver. There’s been a bit of tinkering since and we have never properly got back to that. 

If going for it is removing all threat from wide areas, whilst simultaneously leaving ourselves open from the flanks. 

7 minutes ago, Rennieball said:

If going for it is removing all threat from wide areas, whilst simultaneously leaving ourselves open from the flanks. 

Generally when a team sets up to go for it yes, that means leaving defensive areas of the pitch open with the intention to increase numbers in an attacking sense.  It’s what many on here were calling for before the game, I’d have far preferred us try and get back to how we were playing during that long unbeaten spell earlier in the season. The fascination with two or more strikers does not necessarily mean more attacking football. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Calmed down now and yes still pissed at the result, saving grace best season in 3 years and closest we came to being promoted till the players chucked the towel in when the whistle blew on Tuesday night.

Only thing I can say is never make a decision when angry I get the McGlynn out shouts but this is the closest we came with having more better games than poor than the past 3 seasons. But a bit sense to appoint McCall another rebuild of the team and if he doesn't get us up in the first go then what sack him again and rinse and repeat.  Its uncharted waters granted well for 3 seasons it isn't but for the first time compared to M&M, Sheerin and Holt we have a decent enough manager.  It is and always will be a shite and humiliating result to take and a sore one.  

I agree and that's why I wouldn't read to much into his post match interview either. He looked pretty shellshocked and I'm sure very angry.  I'm sure he'd give a completely different interview today. 

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

IF we don't win on Saturday that means we'll have played our nearest rivals Dunfermline and Airdrie 10 times this season and won 1 game. It's an appalling stat.

It truly is. But I might just be able to top you there

I had a look at our record in the bigger, head-to-head type games since relegation in 2019. So four season's worth of league matches against the following clubs:

Airdrie, Cove Rangers, Dunfermline Ath, Partick Thistle, Queen's Park, Raith Rovers

P 35  W 3  D  15  L 16

Which translates into 24 points gained from an available 105 

Absolutely frightening numbers

Nothing further. Speaks for itself.

21 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

absolutely go for it straight ball from back to top

🤦‍♂️

So Fordyce, Watson and AT-S can gobble them up?

It's moving the ball at pace and getting them turned that will hopefully get us back in the tie. 

AT-S is slow but we played right into their hands isolating Burrell and pumping it long.

21 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

He played a 4-4-2 diamond with Burrell and Oliver up top and Kennedy at the top of it and McGinn at the foot. It needed IMO two in front of the back 4 and three in front of them to stifle midfield. We all saw the consequence. 

If Morrison had been fully fit I doubt he would've played that formation.

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

If Morrison had been fully fit I doubt he would've played that formation.

You are probably right but he could have played 4-2-3-1 even without him. Nesbitt could have played wide, as could have Burrell. 
Picking Williamson for me was an absolutely shocking call. 

Edited by Back Post Misses