The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I personally wouldnt mind if McGlynn was to be kept on until the end of his contract. However, even if he wins the league next season I wouldn't be extending unless it was in absolutely spectacular fashion. I don't think he's the guy to take us past the championship unfortunately.

Doesn’t look like he is the man to get you there either mate

52 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It’s not pedantry. It’s fact. 

What’s fact is that we set up to not get beat off Raith Rovers before the league was called instead of trying to beat them when we had the chance and got exactly what we deserved at the end of the season. f**k all.

8 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

What’s fact is that we set up to not get beat off Raith Rovers before the league was called instead of trying to beat them when we had the chance and got exactly what we deserved at the end of the season. f**k all.

Hard not to think back to that night now, if we’d won in Kirkcaldy rather than draw we’d have been top when the league was halted that Covid season, how different things could have looked now. Fine margins. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Hard not to think back to that night now, if we’d won in Kirkcaldy rather than draw we’d have been top when the league was halted that Covid season, how different things could have looked now. Fine margins. 

I seen big Conor Sammon tonight. Said alright to him, he said alright back, then I said to him... "good luck at the weekend big man" and immediately felt a pang of extreme rage as I remembered Alloa are still well in this, and we fucked it on a 15 minute spell 🤣

I think he will still be here next season, mainly due to finances. The 400k earned from our cup run will be spent on the new pitch (150k), paying back those who loaned the club money last season to enable the accounts to be signed off (150k) and the upgrading of the flood lights (25/40k?). Not a lot left to buy out the 12 months left on McGlynn and Smiths contracts (80k?).

As we are starting each season with a 400k deficit according to the Board there would be no massive pot of money to entice a new manager to the club.

Think he will be given the first quarter of the season to see how his team is shaping up and if we are still  faffing around in 3rd or 4th place then the BOD will need to face up to the fact that the appointment unfortunately didn’t work.

Even in advance of Saturday, it is clear to see that the excuse book is being written already.

Argue for keeping McGlynn if you want, argue for sacking him if you want - as I said, I haven't fully made my mind up yet as to what the best route forward is yet. I'm trying my very, very best to keep an open mind on it all. All I know is that whenever I think about Tuesday, I just get absolutely fizzing again. That was his team - his tactics; his selection; the majority were his signings. He stood there and did nothing as the goals flew in.

If you don't win this league, whether you finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th is pretty much irrelevant. Queen's Park proved that last year. Despite what people might argue, there is nothing - quite literally, nothing - you can say to me that will convince me that Falkirk failing to get out of League One in any season is anything but a failure. Simply citing 'improvements' from last season is symptomatic of a culture of acceptance of failure. 

I really, really hope we do what nobody thinks we can do on Saturday and we can put the emotion of the last, awful few days behind us. But if we don't, serious questions will rightly be asked, and bluntly saying "we were better than last year" simply won't cut it.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I think he saw him and wright as a forward two going forward but wright has been that disappointing that he hasn't been able to play it apart from the Peterhead dead rubber.

Not sure about that to be honest.

Wright only started one League game with Allan against Peterhead and they both scored. Allan’s only started 2 league games as well. Gary Oliver’s last league goal was the end of February yet he’s only been dropped from the starting line up 3 times since then. If McGlynn fancied Allan and Wright as a front 2 then he really did have enough opportunity and reasoning to do so. 

Just seemed odd to have brought them in and not really give them a proper chance even when we’re struggling for goals, particularly when both already scored more league goals than Oliver. 

24 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I hope those still going on Saturday can get behind them early doors. Being negative ain’t going to help anyone. It’s the only way we’ll have any chance of pulling off a miracle. 

Yes but there has to be some semblance of competence and a plan to overturn the result on show.

Knocking it around without intent and more harem-scare'm defending won't enthuse the Falkirk crowd!

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

When virtually every big game we play - with the exception of Ayr United - happens to be a "bad day at the office"?

No.

Even the Ayr game was a penalty and a deflection.

We faffed around in the last 1/3rd of the park and passed up chance after chance and for the 1st time is this sad season got the rub of the green.

15 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Even in advance of Saturday, it is clear to see that the excuse book is being written already.

Argue for keeping McGlynn if you want, argue for sacking him if you want - as I said, I haven't fully made my mind up yet as to what the best route forward is yet. I'm trying my very, very best to keep an open mind on it all. All I know is that whenever I think about Tuesday, I just get absolutely fizzing again. That was his team - his tactics; his selection; the majority were his signings. He stood there and did nothing as the goals flew in.

If you don't win this league, whether you finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th is pretty much irrelevant. Queen's Park proved that last year. Despite what people might argue, there is nothing - quite literally, nothing - you can say to me that will convince me that Falkirk failing to get out of League One in any season is anything but a failure. Simply citing 'improvements' from last season is symptomatic of a culture of acceptance of failure. 

I really, really hope we do what nobody thinks we can do on Saturday and we can put the emotion of the last, awful few days behind us. But if we don't, serious questions will rightly be asked, and bluntly saying "we were better than last year" simply won't cut it.

He's had months to prepare for the play offs, months. Aside from our wee title charge in February, we've been a stick on for the play offs since the home defeat to Dunfermline. Fucking months, and Tuesday was what he put on the park.

I think they'll stick with him but I don't think he'll see October.

Tough one for the board,  depends result on Saturday imo, 

Not just season tickets but new strip and merchandise from O'Neils will need  to get sold, they can hardly say know we got pumped in playoffs and manager staying, give us your money!  , they will need to put some spin on it tbh  even Malcolm  Tucker would struggle with that 

Edited by Amarillo Bairn

IF we don't win on Saturday that means we'll have played our nearest rivals Dunfermline and Airdrie 10 times this season and won 1 game. It's an appalling stat. Yes we've finished higher this season but there have been a number of red flags as to why we've missed out by a margin, firstly tactically mcglynn doesn't seem to know his best team. Secondly he can't change a game during play in our favour. The 60 minute subs no matter what happens is a joke. Mcpake made 2 changes DURING the first half against Airdrie that game they were losing 3-0 then another at half time and won 4-3. We were 5-0 down at half time and made ONE sub. Thirdly, we've been playing all season without a recognised striker and this hasn't been addressed. I don't rate burrell like many do on here, misses loads of sitters, his second touch is a tackle and he's very lightweight. He's not the answer for me, squad player yes maybe, lead striker no. 

I think mcglynn will keep his job (unless we get another hammering which is entirely possible), due to the length of his contract, the cup run and the finishing second, but if he's faltering at anything other than first or a very close second by winter he should go. Whether that happens will depend on how strong or weak Hamilton and cove are rather than mcglynns tactics. I don't see any of the other clubs strengthening enough to compete at the top, other than potentially queen's. 

There is no point in us being cautious on Sat, McGlynn simply has to send us out attacking as possible, try and get a quick couple of goals and hope Airdrie can't deal with it just like our losers on Tuesday night. Even when we in affect had a 2 man advantage when they got the keeper sent off we showed no urgency or desire at all. 

Saying that it doesn't matter how many we score as we will concede. Our defence are hopeless. We all seem to forget Airdrie hit the bar as well. I really can't stand Donaldson at the moment. He does this big act like he really cares, shouting and throwing his arms about but he's as bad as the rest. I would genuinely throw Watson in on Sat. An experienced head who won't do any worse. 

McGlynn simply has to go for that performance on Tues. His team, his tactics, his lack of accountability.