The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Obviously the last 2 months of bottling it is a massive concern regarding Mcglynn but the thing that really puzzles me with him is paying money for Allan who clearly isn’t ever going to fit into the way he plays. That’s what worries me most 

I think he saw him and wright as a forward two going forward but wright has been that disappointing that he hasn't been able to play it apart from the Peterhead dead rubber.

6 minutes ago, AGPar said:

And even if that target was the play-offs, what occurred on Tuesday night should - at an absolute, bare minimum - have concentrated a few minds in the boardroom about whether what we currently have on the pitch and in the dugout is fit for purpose. A capitulation on that scale is a game changer as far as the future of the manager - in fact, any manager - is concerned. His team  lay down and died whilst he appeared incapable of doing anything to affect change. 

They appointed a highly experienced management team, handed them by far the largest recruitment budget of any club in the division and the autonomy to use as they decided. The outcome? Utter terror at the mere sight of Airdrie. The biggest bottle job ever - and that's saying something for us - and quite simply, one too many. In the eyes of some, there is no coming back from something as seismic as that. He's done.

I've no doubt he'll hang on to his job and survive into nest season but he's damaged goods. Credibility gone. Clock now ticking.

Not sure we had by far the largest budget in the league , the second largest yes but Dunfermlines wage bill I’d guess was slighter more and even if ours was the bigger of the two it would not have been “by far”

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Cup comps aside weve only been beating by 3 or more twice I believe. Could it be passed as a terrible day at the office?

Said office was a raging fire and backed onto a hazardous materials compound surrounded by radioactive bees ... and someone had left their lunch in the fridge for 100 years. It was the worst day of any office! 🤣

I’m trying my very best to calm down after Tuesday - I don’t think I’ll have a 100% set opinion on what should happen until after Saturday. There’s always the tiniest, tiniest chink of hope while there is still a game to play that, against all the odds and with everyone having written us off, we do the impossible. Even if all the available evidence suggests it won’t happen.

However, talk of not getting rid of McGlynn for reasons such as “he’ll have set pre-season dates” or “he’ll have been looking at players for next season” strikes me as unserious. No manager would ever lose their job with that reasoning. 

Never mind the Board’s targets; when McGlynn was appointed, he stated that goal this season was promotion. To not turn it around on Saturday, he’ll have failed by his own metric. Any board that didn’t at least consider his position would also strike me as deeply unserious.

1 minute ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I’m trying my very best to calm down after Tuesday - I don’t think I’ll have a 100% set opinion on what should happen until after Saturday. There’s always the tiniest, tiniest chink of hope while there is still a game to play that, against all the odds and with everyone having written us off, we do the impossible. Even if all the available evidence suggests it won’t happen.

However, talk of not getting rid of McGlynn for reasons such as “he’ll have set pre-season dates” or “he’ll have been looking at players for next season” strikes me as unserious. No manager would ever lose their job with that reasoning. 

Never mind the Board’s targets; when McGlynn was appointed, he stated that goal this season was promotion. To not turn it around on Saturday, he’ll have failed by his own metric. Any board that didn’t at least consider his position would also strike me as deeply unserious.

I’m 100% certain his position will be being “considered” whether that on balance results in him loosing his job is another thing. 

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

He led them to promotion as his team was on top of the league when it was called, let's not be pedantic.

It’s not pedantry. It’s fact. 

I think he will be here next season, for the reasons he was given a two year contract and the original plan was to be up in two (one if possible), unless I have remembered this incorrectly.

The manner of the defeat on Tuesday is causing most of the issue, for me anyway. If we had simply lost the two legs over a goal there wouldn't be the same level of outcry.

I'm not a fan of him, I'll put that out there, for a few reasons. Mainly I never was concerned when we have ever been up against his team when he managed the opposition. However, I get there will have been slim pickings for us, and he was a step up from what we had recently had.

I am not looking forward to Saturday, this could be another sore one, and he really needs to show why we should keep him on another year or sentence one goes in the bin for me.

12 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Not sure we had by far the largest budget in the league , the second largest yes but Dunfermlines wage bill I’d guess was slighter more and even if ours was the bigger of the two it would not have been “by far”

I never mentioned wage bill. "Budget for recruitment" - the most cursory of reviews of the transfer business undertaken by every club in the league confirms that McGlynn had a significant advantage in that category. By far.

There weren’t many results over the 2 legs that would have had me questioning Mcglynn’s job. However, he and the players utterly utterly fucked it. I’m on the fence about it, mainly because the list of candidates is vomit inducing 

15 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

No one saw a 4 goal deficit coming

It didn't surprise me, the last games they have been fast out the blocks and our defence as we all know is not great, coupled with a missing RB.

If we go down, the heads go down and a lot of these players hide, this is a recurring theme and this is needing addressed most in the summer, they are simply not winners.

Edited by Sarcastic Bairn

20 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Cup comps aside weve only been beating by 3 or more twice I believe. Could it be passed as a terrible day at the office?

When virtually every big game we play - with the exception of Ayr United - happens to be a "bad day at the office"?

No.

13 minutes ago, AGPar said:

I never mentioned wage bill. "Budget for recruitment" - the most cursory of reviews of the transfer business undertaken by every club in the league confirms that McGlynn had a significant advantage in that category. By far.

There will be a number of players at Dunfermline on bigger wages than we have players on. I doubt there would be a lot in it either way and then of course Mcpake didn't have to spunk a good bit of budget  to get rid of some of the dross from last season.  So I very much doubt mcglynn had much of an advantage if any in that area.

Calmed down now and yes still pissed at the result, saving grace best season in 3 years and closest we came to being promoted till the players chucked the towel in when the whistle blew on Tuesday night.

Only thing I can say is never make a decision when angry I get the McGlynn out shouts but this is the closest we came with having more better games than poor than the past 3 seasons. But a bit sense to appoint McCall another rebuild of the team and if he doesn't get us up in the first go then what sack him again and rinse and repeat.  Its uncharted waters granted well for 3 seasons it isn't but for the first time compared to M&M, Sheerin and Holt we have a decent enough manager.  It is and always will be a shite and humiliating result to take and a sore one.  

One things for sure. McGlynns the only manager in recent times to even have had a claim at deserving another season. But the nature of that capitulation and the interview that followed skew it away from just looking at the league position in an objective way.

I don't know if il calm down and decide were better sticking with him. I do know I'm not there yet. But then I suppose everyone needs to see what transpires on Saturday whether you are currently arguing go or stay. 

At this moment in time, continuity is the only argument I can make FOR him, and that's fucking weak sauce. 

For there to be any merit in "but they have already begun planning....." for me, there would need to be some pretty impressive and coherent signings made quickly, that spell out a road map for how we avoid tippy tippy shite with no plan B, how we intend to defend better, show aggression all over the pitch and show directness from middle to front. That all seems like a big ask to happen in the few weeks after the playoffs it will take me to generate a burning resentment. 

One thing I will say, and I will cavet that as customers, everyone must make their own decision..... I can't buy into any sort of "fans are part of the problem, we keep on buying STs" narrative. I was good eith that when it was regime change that was needed. That was the only way to try and force that issue and a vocal minority probably helped effect that change. 

Now, we are trying to be fan owned, the club IMO, outside the 11 on the pitch finally looks like lurching towards an upswing. We need to get it right on the park, and as fans were a bit toothless there but withdrawing support based on passing transients like players or managers as opposed to owners seems petulant and entitled to me. 

This is our club. We need to own more of it, not less. In continuing to turn out, support, buy shares and underpin the financial security of out club, supporters are part of the solution, not the problem. 

5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

For you he has failed but it will obviously depend on what targets the board set him. If it was progress and minimum play offs this season (going up or not) then they will see that he has progressed. 

I for one have taken time to look back on the other night and the season as a whole. It has been our best, in terms of entertainment since the Houston last full season. It has ultimately been a disappointment in the last 2 weeks due to two really poor performances at critical times and that is what makes it all the more disappointing, frustrating and concerning.

I would imagine all the prep for next seasons squad will already be done. Players identified where we need to strengthen and who is going who is staying. When pre-season starts, friendly dates etc etc will no doubt all be done. A new manager would be starting from scratch - not that it would be impossible to do so - but make the new guys job very difficult. 

On the basis of above I would on reflection keep him but he will have to get us off to a flying start and the ONLY measurement next season is promotion.  

What would your reaction have been a couple of years ago when your mates weren’t running the show?