The Falkirk FC Thread

I feel very much on the fence with McGlynn now.

Things were just so catastrophic at the end of last season that I really was just ready for a couple years of gradual progress which would culminate in promotion to the Championship through the playoffs or otherwise. To me McGlynn was a sensible option to guide us through a rebuild and promotion.

Last night has filled me with doubt. Nobody could have watched that first half and seen any progress from the absolute embarrassments we've had the last few years.

4 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Even if we get humped again on Saturday?

I think the club will keep their heads down and wait for the storm to pass. They’ll make a calculation that fans will still renew their ST in decent numbers (which I agree with them on) and justify it by pointing to the improvement in league position, cup semi-final etc. Not saying I agree with it but that’s what I believe will happen, even if we lose heavily again on Saturday.

16 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I can only assume a number of the people saying we should “give him more time” to “build his own squad” weren’t there last night. I’d almost argue that getting it so drastically wrong in your biggest game of the season - only to stand with you hands on your hips as the goals fly in and not change a single thing until half time - is a sackable offence in itself. I’ve seen nothing which gives me any kind of confidence he has what it takes to build a squad to get us out this league. The only reason he should be kept on is if we perform some kind of miracle on Saturday.

Has he improved us? Yes. Has he improved us enough, given the backing he’s been given and the number of players he’s brought in? No.

I don't think I've saw anyone say he needs more time, especially after last nights performance but he's on a two year deal so in reality it's highly unlikely he's going anywhere.

43 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Adding into this teams sussed how to play against us we need a plan b to counter that and a plan c

That happened around November and although we had some results we weren't overly convincing at times.

Last night highlighted how little variation we have in our play and how we've settled on a formation that favours "wingers" who can't cross trying to hit a lone striker - who's game isn't really being a target man 🤷‍♂️

Yesterday, Airdrie (and others we've seen) were quicker, aggressive and direct with midfielders looking to break whereas we had Kucheriavyi, Nesbitt and McGinn happy to knock it around but not really go beyond. 

It won't change Saturday and expect Airdrie to go for the jugular.

5 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Keep Hamilton 

That’s what made you laugh and not the sentence after?

I could see us getting a few on Saturday but……you know the rest.

I didn't bother to read past that point tbh. 

I very much doubt his remit when approached for the job last may was get us promoted or your out so I can't see anything other than him staying for another year unless he doesn't fancy it himself. I think anyone hoping for him to get the boot will be disappointed even if we do lose again on Saturday. 

2 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

I think the club will keep their heads down and wait for the storm to pass. They’ll make a calculation that fans will still renew their ST in decent numbers (which I agree with them on) and justify it by pointing to the improvement in league position, cup semi-final etc. Not saying I agree with it but that’s what I believe will happen, even if we lose heavily again on Saturday.

Good luck to them if that’s the plan. It’s L1……he has been backed like no other……a budget equalling the previous season, and then another sizeable six figure injection in January……..and last night showed what he had done with the money. He has effectively collected players rather than build a team. It’s pretty much a reflection of his entire career.

6 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I very much doubt his remit when approached for the job last may was get us promoted or your out so I can't see anything other than him staying for another year unless he doesn't fancy it himself. I think anyone hoping for him to get the boot will be disappointed even if we do lose again on Saturday. 

Equally, he wouldn’t have been told it’s ok to deliver one of the worst performances in living memory.

He isn’t building anything. Just burning cash and delivering nothing.

I just think the message of “buy your STs and give John and Paul as much money as possible” is going to fall on a lot of deaf ears this time around.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

10 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If he stays, then we will sleepwalk into another clusterfuck of a season. Lots of people saying it will be a weaker league next season. I don’t think it will ever be weak enough for McGlynn to win it outright.

Dunfermline will be re-imagined as Hamilton or Airdrie or QotS or Cove. Keeping him will result in failure…..of that I have no doubt.

It’s down to the BoD, and for now, theirs is the only opinion that matters, and I am sure they are all big enough lads who will stand or fall by their collective decision. They will be well enough aware of the potential implications of keeping him.

I don’t see last night’s total abdication being forgotten while the manager remains at the club. On a single game basis, it’s easily in the bottom six of the past 40 years…..and it was in L1. For many, it will be the worst they have ever seen.

Got to be number one . Any other shockers in the last 40 years have at least been in the top two leagues. Queens Park 6-0, I hear ya, but with so much at stake, it’s got to be number one.

3 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

And that is very much why we are where we are. Although I do feel McGlynn will have got told get us up this season by any means possible, and I think the two year deal he got was banking on us being in the championship next season. If it was to have two stabs at getting out of league 1 with the buffer of the second year then that's just utter gash and not good enough tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Good luck to them if that’s the plan. It’s L1……he has been backed like no other……a budget equalling the previous season, and then another sizeable six figure injection in January……..and last night showed what he had done with the money. He has effectively collected players rather than build a team. It’s pretty much a reflection of his entire career.

If the BOD are going to back this failure, it puts them in the Deans & Co camp 

18 minutes ago, Bairnschild said:

Get behind the team, we will overturn this deficit. Positive approach, not a negative hostile atmosphere

That's all we've been missing and if only we'd backed them more last night ... or at East End ... or at Hampden 😒

Perhaps we should all hold hands and align chakras too! 🤝

Guest Ecosse83

Mcglynn will be our manager next season, the board will look at the big picture and say overall we have improved under him (which we have tbf). 

I think we can do better though and after last night would now like to see him replaced. I for one won’t be renewing my season ticket unless there is a positive change that excites me but that won’t happen unfortunately. In all fairness I was thinking about going PATG next season anyway so it’s an easy decision for me to make! 

26 minutes ago, Bairnschild said:

Get behind the team, we will overturn this deficit. Positive approach, not a negative hostile atmosphere

Is that a sitar I hear in the background?

17 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

And that is very much why we are where we are. Although I do feel McGlynn will have got told get us up this season by any means possible, and I think the two year deal he got was banking on us being in the championship next season. If it was to have two stabs at getting out of league 1 with the buffer of the second year then that's just utter gash and not good enough tbh. 

I very much doubt anyone would have taken on the job if promotion was the be all and end all considering the complete pile of shite there was left over from last season. 

3 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Mcglynn will be our manager next season, the board will look at the big picture and say overall we have improved under him (which we have tbf). 

I think we can do better though and after last night would now like to see him replaced. I for one won’t be renewing my season ticket unless there is a positive change that excites me but that won’t happen unfortunately. In all fairness I was thinking about going PATG next season anyway so it’s an easy decision for me to make! 

We have also spunked a lot of cash on duds. What was Airdrie's budget? They looked miles in front of us last night, an actual fast cohesive team with players who were all very good in their positions, goalie apart for getting sent off, this is what is wrong aswell the equation from being mid table in a dugshite league previously to being in the playoffs in league 1 that we will be out of come 4.50 on Saturday. That is not success it's failure. Folk are happy to accept mediocrity and it's absolutely rife at our club.