The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

We can talk about numbers and populations etc til the cows come home,

Yeah. 

Whoever sets the clubs social media agenda might want to suggest that next year we tone down the supporter call-to-arms until we have the substance rather than veneer of a team who thrives on the turnout 😒

The smaller supports seem to have enjoyed themselves a hell of a lot more than us!

What we’ve seen over the last few weeks, and shone in particularly painful light last night, was a team that McGlynn largely put together himself. Most of the players who pulled on the jersey last night were his. Signings that have ‘improved’ us, if we are measuring from last year - but when it comes down to it, are no way near good enough. That falls on his shoulders.

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So what are you both saying? Is there a nationwide refereeing conspiracy against Falkirk? 

Of course not!

Honest enough to admit that it's the general standard of refereeing that is poor and put together with the data would suggest there is a mindset within the referees that blatant pens, as I think my example is, aren't given.

Conversely, since the referees are that bad as acknowledged, I'd have expected at least a few more awards that weren't penalties or are you also arguing that bad refs always only make good decisions? 

14 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So what are you both saying? Is there a nationwide refereeing conspiracy against Falkirk? 

No probably just bad luck mixed with the horrendous level of officiating in this league one but we certainly haven't had anywhere near the rub of the green when it comes to penalties this season.  Usually these things at least get close to evening out but that's just not been the case.  Hasn't been the reason we've failed to get up but it does begin to piss you off when it's happening again and again.

15 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Yeah. 

Whoever sets the clubs social media agenda might want to suggest that next year we tone down the supporter call-to-arms until we have the substance rather than veneer of a team who thrives on the turnout 😒

The smaller supports seem to have enjoyed themselves a hell of a lot more than us!

Almost like a manager from another team pinning it up on the changing room door before a game against us as extra motivation for them.

13 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

What we’ve seen over the last few weeks, and shone in particularly painful light last night, was a team that McGlynn largely put together himself. Most of the players who pulled on the jersey last night were his. Signings that have ‘improved’ us, if we are measuring from last year - but when it comes down to it, are no way near good enough. That falls on his shoulders.

Yes but the fact we still have 4 of the last lot starting is even more unacceptable to me.

3 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Of course not!

Honest enough to admit that it's the general standard of refereeing that is poor and put together with the data would suggest there is a mindset within the referees that blatant pens, as I think my example is, aren't given.

Conversely, since the referees are that bad as acknowledged, I'd have expected at least a few more awards that weren't penalties or are you also arguing that bad refs always only make good decisions? 

I think all teams could point to penalties they should have got, but didn’t. It’s definitely a more common occurrence than penalties being awarded that shouldn’t be.  Referees are trying to make sure they don’t make the mistake of awarding penalties wrongly, so will miss some that should have been, if their view isn’t great.

Also worth noting that a lot of your attacking players are bad for diving/throwing themselves to the ground at every opportunity. Kennedy, Nesbitt, Morrison and Burrell are all examples of that. If they’re doing that all game, a referee is always going to have that in their mind when the players go down in the box.

2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I think all teams could point to penalties they should have got, but didn’t. It’s definitely a more common occurrence than penalties being awarded that shouldn’t be.  Referees are trying to make sure they don’t make the mistake of awarding penalties wrongly, so will miss some that should have been, if their view isn’t great.

Also worth noting that a lot of your attacking players are bad for diving/throwing themselves to the ground at every opportunity. Kennedy, Nesbitt, Morrison and Burrell are all examples of that. If they’re doing that all game, a referee is always going to have that in their mind when the players go down in the box.

1 in the whole season is hilarious though and points to a ridiculous run of bad luck (especially when you consider what is a penalty these days - the semi final a great example). 

Would it have changed anything this season though? No. We'd have still finished 2nd and still been 5-0 down at HT last night. 

1 minute ago, CallumPar said:

To your 1st point I think that's a perception when you have been awarded a reasonable amount. You don't really complain because you did get one or even two (and some you shouldn't) in games and numerically spread out it seems palatable. In your case, 7 over 9 months is pretty fair wouldn't you say? 

However, when you get one over a season that is pretty poor luck as @bairn88 points out and you begin to question why similar awards in other games or against you haven't happened to you. 

As for your 2nd point that is complete horsesh*t - our players sadly are much less "streetwise" than certain sides we've faced and some of the fouls against us are laughable. 

2 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

If anyone is up for it and changing tact slightly, bruisers came up earlier. How many bruisers have we had over the years?  More specifically 80s onwards. And I’m talking bruiser with some effectiveness. I’m thinking Yogi and big Craw for starters.

Tbf when I talk about Bruisers, I guess I mean folk who will not be bullied and will dish out their fair share. If you leave aside centre halves, and keep it to guys who did a job middle to front you'd include guys like Vaulks aswell. Guys like Davie Nic and Hagi took no shit off anyone but were also genuine footballers. Davie Sinclair could be an effective bully too. 

Not so many in the modern era I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tbf when I talk about Bruisers, I guess I mean folk who will not be bullied and will dish out their fair share. If you leave aside centre halves, and keep it to guys who did a job middle to front you'd include guys like Vaulks aswell. Guys like Davie Nic and Hagi took no shit off anyone but were also genuine footballers. Davie Sinclair could be an effective bully too. 

Not so many in the modern era I suppose. 

Lee Miller with his ariel ability could be a shout but maybe clutching at straws.

2 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Paul Paton 😂

I was thinking lastnight is by far the worst, loudest, most seething abuse iv ever gave a Falkirk team. But I feel no remorse whatsoever. 

And then I minded down at Palmerston.... Paul Paton was putting in a stinker and I was tearing into him from the stand. He turned round to the crowd and make like a sort of "sorry" type gesture and had a right sad face on. I felt fucking awful straight away. 

If Ryan Williamson turned up on my doorstep in tears today I think I'd chase him off with a garden fork. 

25 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

1 in the whole season is hilarious though and points to a ridiculous run of bad luck (especially when you consider what is a penalty these days - the semi final a great example). 

Would it have changed anything this season though? No. We'd have still finished 2nd and still been 5-0 down at HT last night. 

Exactly. We all complain about pens not going out way but this season has been ridiculous. We don't have any more divers than any other side either so that's as much nonsense as the conspiracy theories. We've even had goals given that weren't even over the feckin line.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I was thinking lastnight is by far the worst, loudest, most seething abuse iv ever gave a Falkirk team. But I feel no remorse whatsoever. 

And then I minded down at Palmerston.... Paul Paton was putting in a stinker and I was tearing into him from the stand. He turned round to the crowd and make like a sort of "sorry" type gesture and had a right sad face on. I felt fucking awful straight away. 

If Ryan Williamson turned up on my doorstep in tears today I think I'd chase him off with a garden fork. 

It was the same last night as at Hampden. He was waving to come off there and though I don’t think he did that last night, he was stretching his quad early in the second half, just like his antics at Hampden.

Why wasn’t he, at the very, very least, replaced by Finn Yeats at half time? (whose performance I actually enjoyed last night, a proper kind of full back display).

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

6 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

To your 1st point I think that's a perception when you have been awarded a reasonable amount. You don't really complain because you did get one or even two (and some you shouldn't) in games and numerically spread out it seems palatable. In your case, 7 over 9 months is pretty fair wouldn't you say? 

However, when you get one over a season that is pretty poor luck as @bairn88 points out and you begin to question why similar awards in other games or against you haven't happened to you. 

As for your 2nd point that is complete horsesh*t - our players sadly are much less "streetwise" than certain sides we've faced and some of the fouls against us are laughable. 

I dunno why you’re talking about 7 penalties over 9 months. Number of games is the only really meaningful measure, not months. We got 7 in 36 games. We’ll get none for a 3 month period now, going by your logic, that would suggest we should have more. But we won’t be playing a league game…

I do agree that it seems very strange you’ve only had one penalty over the course of the season. But I can only base it on games I’ve seen. You’ve only really had one penalty claim against us and I do think it would have been given with VAR, but I’ve seen incidents like that not given in several games this season. No point in comparing the semi final, where VAR was needed to give that.

You possibly have had more than your fair share of bad luck. You’d obviously know better than me. But your fans on here are complaining about an Airdrie defender not being sent off when Allan pulled him to the ground (despite the fact footage shows the referee got it right) and the penalty decision last night, where the only controversy was that your player wasn’t sent off. That’s always going to make people doubt your claims, if your views are so unreasonable.