The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Duncan Freemason said:

……but there is no interference on selection of players. There has to be control over salary/duration of contract.

Christ, have at least cognisance of what is coming out of Kirkcaldy wrt McGlynn’s contracts for players that are only now coming to light. He doesn’t have a budget beyond next season, so the BoD surely have to sign off on duration. McGlynn and free rein to hand out two year contracts……that’s a terrifying prospect.

I am well aware you know the Board and what type of people they are. Do you really think they would allow McGlynn to actually spend more than his budget without consultation? I am pretty sure, like you will be knowing the characters that a general playing budget, what is required, length of contracts etc etc will have gone on.  Let’s not forget Nesbitt resigned 6/8 weeks ago? 

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And this ladies and gentlemen is exactly why football club's get into financial messes.

Honestly, you're absolutely deluded.

No I am not. 

19 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I think we'll stick with mcglynn for one more season whether the fans like it or not. I presume you guys will be the same if you don't go up McCabe will be kept on for another punt.

IMO this year's play off is a free hit for McCabe. He was a radical choice of manager but his decision to take the job helped us retain the core quality of last season's team. We only really lost Dylan Easton and we've recruited not bad with Cammy Ballantyne & Josh Rae coming in. Threadbare player-wise at the start of the season but looking back, can see that McCabe was looking for quality rather than filling bums on the bench. It's also been pleasing to see how much he has improved players like Cal Gallagher who's had the season of his life and big ATS who has done a great job for us. Our academy boys are showing a lot of promise too. It's all positive for us at the moment but the only downside on the horizon is that if we don't go up, we face the real prospect of loosing key players like Frizz. The only failure for me this season has been signing Telfer. You can't win them all!

12 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

If we do get rid or in the unlikely of McGlynn ditching MvGlynnball, I want tippy-tappy to go. Long diagonal balls or balls into channels would be the order of the day in this league and where necesssary, knocking about round the back only to take the sting out a game/take a breather. In other words, Nesbitt as a sub only.

We can do neither very well. 

I watched tippy-tappy between the back four and  diagonals used to no real effect last night as we didn't have players willing to attack or move at pace as a unit. 

Burrell being so detached from Oliver, Nesbitt, McGinn and Henderson when we launched it just gives the opposition room to play off 2nd balls when it doesn't stick. 

Airdrie attacks consisted of 3-4 passes to get to the edge of our box, at most and no real width.

They just knew what they wanted to do and had a work-rate to match which I can't say we do. We have a collection of individuals and two "wingers" who can't cross. 

Edited by Blame Me

3 minutes ago, CHEMOMAN said:

IMO this year's play off is a free hit for McCabe. He was a radical choice of manager but his decision to take the job helped us retain the core quality of last season's team. We only really lost Dylan Easton and we've recruited not bad with Cammy Ballantyne & Josh Rae coming in. Threadbare player-wise at the start of the season but looking back, can see that McCabe was looking for quality rather than filling bums on the bench. It's also been pleasing to see how much he has improved players like Cal Gallagher who's had the season of his life and big ATS who has done a great job for us. Our academy boys are showing a lot of promise too. It's all positive for us at the moment but the only downside on the horizon is that if we don't go up, we face the real prospect of loosing key players like Frizz. The only failure for me this season has been signing Telfer. You can't win them all!

We did warn you about him.

I'm a bit confused here. Who are all these two year deals that mcglynn has been handing out . I know of nesbitt but that's it. I'm neither excited or furious over that one. A decent  squad player who can do a job in a variety of positions. At 26 not old .  Is there anyone else?

Edited by Shodwall cat

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And this ladies and gentlemen is exactly why football club's get into financial messes.

Honestly, you're absolutely deluded.

Tbf, it’s one of the ways. I can’t imagine the BoD allowing McGlynn to sign Nesbitt for a further 2 years (knowing the fan base do not exactly rate him) without some serious questions being asked.

Thing is, I think there is now a dawning realisation that McGlynn is not the manager they (we) believed him to be, and the mistakes he makes tend to appear on the deeply damaging scale rather than the “ooops, my bad, but no damage done” scale.

34 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Just look at Kinnear's positioning for the first goal. Any further left and he'd have been in the home end. 

IMG_7638.png

Hats off to McGinn there tracking the third and invisible member of the Airdrie midfield attack.

3 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

We can do neither very well. 

I watched tippy-tappy between the back four and  diagonals used to no real effect last night as we didn't have players willing to attack or move at pace as a unit. 

Burrell being so detached from Oliver, Nesbitt, McGinn and Henderson when we launched it just gives the opposition room to play off 2nd balls when it doesn't stick. 

Airdrie attacks consisted of 3-4 passes to get to the edge of our box, at most and no real width.

They just knew what they wanted to do and had a work-rate to match which I can't say we do. We have a collection of individuals and two "wingers" who can't cross. 

I think McGlynnball has a place but I want a strong plan B. If it’s not working against a weaker side that’s well drilled then resort to the direct stuff (with the right personnel). In fact, I’d make plan B plan A against stronger opposition and go direct. Just go toe-to-toe. Dunfermline lapped it up against us this season. Let’s give a challenger something to think about.I wouldn’t be against Connor Sammon coming back for 10-12 games next season as a strong plan B. I don’t see a plan C being required in L1. Plan A…..Plan B if necessary….if that isn’t enough then we’re stuck.

2 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I think McGlynnball has a place but I want a strong plan B. If it’s not working against a weaker side that’s well drilled then resort to the direct stuff (with the right personnel). In fact, I’d make plan B plan A against stronger opposition and go direct. Just go toe-to-toe. Dunfermline lapped it up against us this season. Let’s give a challenger something to think about.I wouldn’t be against Connor Sammon coming back for 10-12 games next season as a strong plan B. I don’t see a plan C being required in L1. Plan A…..Plan B if necessary….if that isn’t enough then we’re stuck.

Because he was so good for you in his first stint 😂😂

4 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

fetchimage.jpeg

Terrible last night, McGlynn has done better than I thought he would this season but just isn't good enough, his use of the squad and lack of ability to change tactics is disgraceful, at what point does the appointment of managers and performance of the players become the boards fault like it was when the MSG were in charge? 

Also unless there's a miracle comeback on Saturday, the board better be prepared for a drop in income, we won't get an average attendance anywhere near 4,000 next season. The board need to plan sensibly for next season, asking for extra cash at Xmas or we're in trouble will be on them! 

7 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Holy god tonight *Gary Dempsey voice*

Let's face it we have still not filled the midfield enforcer role that we've been crying out for for seasons now. Hendo is a big lad but he's not got a nasty side in him at all and neither have any of our players in the middle of the park. 

1 hour ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Maybe in my delusional head, it would be good to see a strong Airdrie in Scottish football, where you can fill one stand and at least half of another stand. Growing up in the early 90s, some of my fondest memories are our battles with Airdrie with good crowds from both sides so I say “sadness” in a genuine way.

That one stand we half filled hold just shy of 4000. If we half filled that after having attendances down as low as 600 on average a couple of seasons ago we are doing OK. 

Filling that stand and half another stand with home fans would put us up around 5000. 

Population of Airdrie is 39000ish. 

Doesn't sound likely sadly. I agree 100% with your sentiments though. 

Also agree about the "you let your club die" patter. It's desperate stuff and blatantly untrue aswell, anyone around the club at the time will know what the fans tried to do to save the club.