The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

I wasn’t available this week but as you can see, John organised an able substitute to help preview the big week ahead…

IMG_2001.thumb.jpeg.848547333fdde550d418ae78bf89ba92.jpeg

Interesting to hear Miller and McCracken tried to re-sign O’Hara. Yet another example of their terrible recruitment.

27 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Interesting to hear Miller and McCracken tried to re-sign O’Hara. Yet another example of their terrible recruitment.

TBF O'Hara was, and is, a very good striker for this level, if you use him right.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Was scoring goals for an unfancied team in the league above at the time so not that a bizzare target.

On 03/05/2023 at 17:13, Bairn in Exile said:

It would be ludicrous to sack a manager and replace him with only 4 games to go, wouldn't it?

Needs must.

https://news.sky.com/story/leeds-sack-manager-javi-gracia-and-replace-him-with-big-sam-allardyce-12871374

On 03/05/2023 at 17:15, SouthStander1876 said:

This is just trying to cause an argument and you know it, 2 completely different situations.

On 03/05/2023 at 19:37, FK1Bairn said:

Different situations. 

Remember the uproar when Hearts sacked Burley while they were top of the SPL? 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/gary-bowyer-set-dundee-exit-29928326

So, Hearts sack Burley when they are top of the league.

Queen's Park emptied McKinnon after winning them promotion.

Dundee unimpressed with Bowyer winning them promotion and happy to let him go.

But if we don't get promoted via the play-offs we should still keep McGlynn on?

It appears that the big mistake that McKinnon and Bowyer made was actually winning their leagues, if they had just failed they might still have a job. 🤔😋

And before the reddies start flying in, I am desperate for McGlynn to get the job done and get us promoted, I want him to be a success and take charge of us in the Championship.

5 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/gary-bowyer-set-dundee-exit-29928326

So, Hearts sack Burley when they are top of the league.

Queen's Park emptied McKinnon after winning them promotion.

Dundee unimpressed with Bowyer winning them promotion and happy to let him go.

But if we don't get promoted via the play-offs we should still keep McGlynn on?

It appears that the big mistake that McKinnon and Bowyer made was actually winning their leagues, if they had just failed they might still have a job. 🤔😋

And before the reddies start flying in, I am desperate for McGlynn to get the job done and get us promoted, I want him to be a success and take charge of us in the Championship.

You know fine well the debate was over sacking McGlynns before the playoffs that he got us to, so no idea why you would compare Bowyer like its some sort of win. 

Totally different scenarios. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You know fine well the debate was over sacking McGlynns before the playoffs that he got us to, so no idea why you would compare Bowyer like its some sort of win. 

Totally different scenarios. 

Fair dos, good point.

Should we keep him on if we don't win the play-offs?

21 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Fair dos, good point.

One has a contract while Bowyer has a break in his.

The situations are completely different unless you're happy to want to pay-off another management team.

Edited by Blame Me

36 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Fair dos, good point.

I'm inclined to say yes, but the manner in which we lost would matter. He was given 2 years, after this summer, its unequivocally his squad. Were we to get rid, you would have to roll the dice on someone who you are sure can go 1 position better, with the caveat that it wouldn't be there squad and you just dont know if you end up with yet another massive shuffle/rebuild. 

I'm not saying you should be scared to sack a failing manager, but I don't see McGlynn as a failing manager as yet, and would be more inclined to back him sufficiently to get over the line next season than roll the costly dice again now. 

32 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

One has a contract while Bowyer has a break in his.

The situations are completely different unless you're happy to want to pay-off another management team.

Did we err in giving him a 2 year deal then? Should we have given McGlynn a rolling contract?

Or has the board always believed that McGlynn would take 2 seasons to get us promoted and going up this season would be a bonus?

Edited by Bairn in Exile

37 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Did we err in giving him a 2 year deal then? Should we have given McGlynn a rolling contract?

Or has the board always believed that McGlynn would take 2 seasons to get us promoted and going up this season would be a bonus?

You're trying to rewrite history now to suit a narrative. 

He was given the deal he was given to get us up - we all hope it's done in his 1st year but it might be the 2nd... or neither. 

At that stage you can make a judgement as to whether the deal was correct.

Edited by Blame Me

The club gave M&S a two year deal, remembering back to the podcast with the two directors, my interpretation was that it was two years to get us back to the championship if needed, although there were aspirations of going up this year through the playoffs, maybe wrong.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

The club gave M&S a two year deal, remembering back to the podcast with the two directors, my interpretation was that it was two years to get us back to the championship if needed, although there were aspirations of going up this year through the playoffs, maybe wrong.

Given they had finished 5th & 6th, in the preceding 2 seasons, I suppose that’s understandable. Playoffs being the target, any advance on that is a bonus. If McGlynn’s side  make it up, at their first attempt, would be great.

3 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Time and hindsight is wonderful. 

I doubt any decent managers are going to want to take over a club with a squad of players on contracts who noone rates who have just had two of the worst seasons in many people's living memories on a one year deal with the sole route to a second year being getting promoted.