The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Rugster said:

I thought Keith Hogg would have been there at the time in his first spell before going to Hearts. 

To be fair KH isn't football admin so most likely would be unaware of squad numbers - especially the younger ones I'd guess.

It's an administrative error that needs rectified and not repeated.

26 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

To be fair KH isn't football admin so most likely would be unaware of squad numbers - especially the younger ones I'd guess.

It's an administrative error that needs rectified and not repeated.

He’s the operations manager. He should have oversight of it. It’s his department. 

11 minutes ago, Rugster said:

He’s the operations manager. He should have oversight of it. It’s his department. 

Sorry, but that's not true. He's in charge of the groundstaff and stadium operations. His role covers things like maintenance, security, match safety, liaison with FCSL etc, etc. He has no input whatsoever into football matters. 

Now that it's been highlighted on here I'm sure it will be fixed and added to the "important things to know about the job" manual for the next football ops guy and / or kitman. 

29 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Sorry, but that's not true. He's in charge of the groundstaff and stadium operations. His role covers things like maintenance, security, match safety, liaison with FCSL etc, etc. He has no input whatsoever into football matters. 

Now that it's been highlighted on here I'm sure it will be fixed and added to the "important things to know about the job" manual for the next football ops guy and / or kitman. 

Fair enough on the role, maybe a bit of clarity needed on the website then. 

Quite frankly though, for people who knew Craig, which I count myself as one, it really is an important thing to know about the job. I’m sure it was an oversight and I have no doubt it is regretted and will be remedied. I also hope you didn’t mean to come across as flippantly as you did with the quotation marks around important things to know about the job. Again I’m sure you didn’t and I’m maybe being over sensitive. 

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

I don’t recall it but fair enough. 

I don’t know if there is or was an actual official thing you do to retire a number, but at the time it was understood it wouldn’t be used again and his jersey was framed and hung on the wall in the stadium. It wasn’t where it is now from memory. It may have been in the dressing room, I can’t remember but it wasn’t in the tunnel where it is now when I worked there. 

Everton just proved how possession of the ball is irrelevant if you have no cutting edge. Banged 5 past Brighton with 23% of the ball.    

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I don’t know if there is or was an actual official thing you do to retire a number, but at the time it was understood it wouldn’t be used again and his jersey was framed and hung on the wall in the stadium. It wasn’t where it is now from memory. It may have been in the dressing room, I can’t remember but it wasn’t in the tunnel where it is now when I worked there. 

Last I saw it was in the tunnel next to the huge academy board. Not been in there for ages though

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

There are several interviews with Scott Arfield where he mentions that the 37 jersey was retired at the time mate.

As I said I don’t recall it but fair enough. 

54 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Fair enough on the role, maybe a bit of clarity needed on the website then. 

Quite frankly though, for people who knew Craig, which I count myself as one, it really is an important thing to know about the job. I’m sure it was an oversight and I have no doubt it is regretted and will be remedied. I also hope you didn’t mean to come across as flippantly as you did with the quotation marks around important things to know about the job. Again I’m sure you didn’t and I’m maybe being over sensitive. 

It wasn't flippant; it was just an attempt to illustrate a process that used to exist when I was working. (The departing employee left a "how to / guidance notes / bible" on his job for the next incumbent.)  I apologise if it came across otherwise. 

My guess is that with the high turnover of football staff in recent years, some important aspects of the clubs background haven't been passed on. 

Edited by Bainsfordbairn
clarification

53 minutes ago, Rugster said:

his jersey was framed and hung on the wall in the stadium. It wasn’t where it is now from memory. It may have been in the dressing room, I can’t remember but it wasn’t in the tunnel where it is now when I worked there. 

I had a look through my stock of old pics. According to the "File Info" tab on photoshop, I took this image on 1st August 2009. The top is at the same location it occupies today, which is on the back wall of the corridor between the two changing rooms which lead to the tunnel. I couldn't say where it was between 2005 and 2009 so it's possible it was indeed moved. 

The club still hold a remembrance service every year on the anniversary of his passing so he hasn't been forgotten. Normally these are conducted by Mike Pirie in the tunnel area, though I remember at least one preseason tour in which Peter Houston spoke to the squad and made sure they had a minutes silence for Craig Gowans. I think we were in Ireland that year. 

Memorial.JPG

Edited by Bainsfordbairn
additional info

54 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I have to say, I agree that it's in the "let's not have that happen again" bracket, but in no way do I think any disrespect has been shown to the memory of Craig Gowans by anyone. 

Indeed, there's few guarantees in life but you can be pretty certain that whoever was in charge of allocating kit numbers will feel absolutely horrendous when they realised what's happened.