The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest FFC1965

I've been to fewer than 50% home games for last couple of seasons and checking 2022/2023 I attended 6 out of 18, and actually went to more away games than home (which speaks volumes about how unattractive TFS is as a destination for me).    

Cant see me renewing ST though you never know.  

1 minute ago, FFC1965 said:

I've been to fewer than 50% home games for last couple of seasons and checking 2022/2023 I attended 6 out of 18, and actually went to more away games than home (which speaks volumes about how unattractive TFS is as a destination for me).    

I go to all I can attend personally, only missed a couple this season due to holidays. But I much prefer away days in all aspects. Something about Peterhead, Clyde, Kelty at home doesnt get me going. Whereas the reverse fixtures excite me a lot more

25 minutes ago, FFC1965 said:

ST renewed last night.

Dont get the lack of love for the Bairnabeu it’s 3/4 of a decent stadium!

Also huge amount of rose tinted memories of Brockville on here from those of us of a certain age, we tend to remember the good times and blank out the many miserable ones.

25 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I go to all I can attend personally, only missed a couple this season due to holidays. But I much prefer away days in all aspects. Something about Peterhead, Clyde, Kelty at home doesnt get me going. Whereas the reverse fixtures excite me a lot more

I know it’s a bit crowdwanky, but it really doesn’t do much when the opposition bring about 30 fans (and that’s no jibe at the fans who do travel, by the way).

TFS isn’t great and I’d like us to complete it cos the metal fence looking out onto Grangemouth is proper depressing - but games like Ayr this season show an atmosphere can be created in the stadium.

38 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I know it’s a bit crowdwanky, but it really doesn’t do much when the opposition bring about 30 fans (and that’s no jibe at the fans who do travel, by the way).

TFS isn’t great and I’d like us to complete it cos the metal fence looking out onto Grangemouth is proper depressing - but games like Ayr this season show an atmosphere can be created in the stadium.

Very valid point regarding atmosphere.

Been at many games there where the place has been bouncing.

Unfortunately in this league opportunities for that sort of match and atmosphere are few and far between.

I think some forget that the stadium doesn’t create an atmosphere, it’s the people in there. The lack of a stand isn’t the reason it can be quiet. 

Just a few weeks back, even when winning, 600/700 Airdrie fans out sung 3500 home fans. 

The Ayr game was the last home match where almost the entire crowd backed the team in number & noise and we NEED that again for the play offs. Away games will take care of themselves. 

5 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

I think some forget that the stadium doesn’t create an atmosphere, it’s the people in there. The lack of a stand isn’t the reason it can be quiet. 

Just a few weeks back, even when winning, 600/700 Airdrie fans out sung 3500 home fans. 

The Ayr game was the last home match where almost the entire crowd backed the team in number & noise and we NEED that again for the play offs. Away games will take care of themselves. 

Yep. People make the atmosphere not the place. A good place can add to it and amplify it, but our own National Stadium is a great example where the atmosphere can be absolutely thunderous in spite of the stadium which we all agree isn't bring anything to the table.

We have collectively only ourselves to blame if we're not happy with the atmosphere in the stadium. 

Going by the atmosphere at all the previous play-off games at the stadium, I think the fans will be up for it. There’s always a bit more of an edge in the air because everyone knows what is at stake.

Just got to hope the players are up for it, too.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

It would be ludicrous to sack a manager and replace him with only 4 games to go, wouldn't it?

Needs must.

https://news.sky.com/story/leeds-sack-manager-javi-gracia-and-replace-him-with-big-sam-allardyce-12871374

Different situations. 

Remember the uproar when Hearts sacked Burley while they were top of the SPL? 

28 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Difficult when the whole main stand don't get involved and only about 10% of the south do.

We do try to get everyone involved with the occasional "stand up for the falkirk bairns" but most just scoff at it and stay seated.

A last throw of the dice to try and prevent relegation is different to sacking a manager who’s led the team to their best league finish since the pandemic and is about to enter a promotion playoffs that we’ll be among the favourites to emerge from, let alone the semi final run in the national cup and the decent performance on the day albeit let down by poor finishing in the penalty box.

The last time we made a managerial change during the latter stages of a promotion push, it was a complete disaster and the new guy was even worse leading to us missing the playoffs altogether.

The first round will be against either Airdrie or Alloa (probably the former). Airdrie would be a toss up tie as we’ve both won once against each other in Airdrie this season and two draws at TFS. Even still, three unbeaten against the team that’s been our bogey side in recent years gives me some confidence. Alloa are a team we’ve beaten four times this season and the only point they did get off us was a 95th minute penalty. 

If we get through the first game, it’s most likely going to be the 9th place premiership side in the final. We’ll enter that tie as second favourites but given that we competed fairly well against Inverness (penalty box play at both ends led to the 3-0 score line flattering them), I think we have a decent chance to beat a much poorer side over two legs especially given that we can give key players a rest this weekend whilst their team will be in the 5th huge relegation match in 15 days. 

47 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Very valid point regarding atmosphere.

Been at many games there where the place has been bouncing.

Unfortunately in this league opportunities for that sort of match and atmosphere are few and far between.

Even less without our fife neighbours should we remain in the pits of Scottish football (and a revenue loss of around £55K)

34 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Difficult when the whole main stand don't get involved and only about 10% of the south do.

We do try to get everyone involved with the occasional "stand up for the falkirk bairns" but most just scoff at it and stay seated.

Not quite the full main stand 😉 but i know what you mean. It needs that “Ayr” night to be replicated across both stands & dare I say it, half of the NS if needed, if we play Alloa. 

Question for the FSS guys, will the FSS be canvassing fans views ahead of the SFA AGM next week at which the new conference league at tier 5 is to be voted on? I think its a very important topic even if it doesn't directly impact our position as a club. The propsect of B teams being given preferential treatment ahead of hundreds of other non-league clubs is abhorrent.

I'd like to think the club would vote against it.

Just now, latapythelegend said:

Question for the FSS guys, will the FSS be canvassing fans views ahead of the SFA AGM next week at which the new conference league at tier 5 is to be voted on? I think its a very important topic even if it doesn't directly impact our position as a club. The propsect of B teams being given preferential treatment ahead of hundreds of other non-league clubs is abhorrent.

I'd like to think the club would vote against it.

I emailed the club last time but I'd like to hope the added clout of the FSS would swing our vote in the right direction. These proposals and the outright bullying in the way they just KEEP bringing them back to the table are sickening. 

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

ST renewed last night.

Dont get the lack of love for the Bairnabeu it’s 3/4 of a decent stadium!

Also huge amount of rose tinted memories of Brockville on here from those of us of a certain age, we tend to remember the good times and blank out the many miserable ones.

There is no reason for the stand roofs to be the height they are.

They dissipate the crowd noise instead of amplifying it. It's not rose-tinted glasses referring to Brockville the stand and the covered terracing were an echo chamber.

Hopefully when the roofs have to be replaced or refurbished (which they will) redesigning and rectifying the shortcomings on what is a badly conceived, designed and built stadium can to some degree be rectified.

As for the 4th stand? Build up a rubble foundation, concrete slabbing put seats 15 - 20 rows deep and a roof over it job done and a fraction of the price of the 3-atmosphere vacuum chambers we have at present.

11 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Off piste a little, but just want to congratulate Sarah Scott for winning her award last night at the Recognition Dinner shindig. 

An ever present fixture at our club and her work with the Junior Bairns has been immense in nurturing loads of young support.  Sarah deserves all the plaudits she gets for the work she does. Long may it continue ! 

Also to Lewis. He does great work.