The Falkirk FC Thread

What I’d give for a guy like this, played for a pittance, an absolute genuine leader on and off park, and one of few guys that would walk through a brick wall for the club and support. There’s not one player in the past two or so so seasons that come remotely close to him. 

IMG_2977.jpeg.5fe40b69656b0788bba454449421976f.jpeg

Any suggestions that McGlynn hasn’t spent a fortune compared to mcpake are incredible nonsense . We had a couple of hangover deals From last year but in terms of what they  had to be spent McGlynn had way more available than mcpake l.

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Any suggestions that McGlynn hasn’t spent a fortune compared to mcpake are incredible nonsense . We had a couple of hangover deals From last year but in terms of what they  had to be spent McGlynn had way more available than mcpake l.

Source?

6 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Thanks Al. I completely agree. 

It's almost like all the teams mentioned who've been in L1 over that period have regressed and yet you can't see that we have as well, making McGlynns job harder 🤷‍♂️

As highlighted in the replies there are literally too many intangibles as to why statistically their records are comparable but the seasons and outcomes have been vastly different. 

Perhaps a factor was that then we were seen as a massive scalp and teams setup differently whereas now that notion has gone the games in the league become closer. Who knows!

However, it's become an odd hill to die on.

Forget what's gone on in this or previous seasons it's pointless.

What matters is the 2 hopefully 4 playoff games and that means backing the players and the manager through them, and leave the recriminations or the backslapping till it's all over.

It will define whether the players have the mettle, bottle, desire, skill, will to win to get us promotion and whether they have a future at the club or not.

Get promoted? then some of the squad have a future.

Don't get promoted? then clear the decks because they will have shown they don't have it.

If that does not motivate the players nothing will.

1 minute ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Forget what's gone on in this or previous seasons it's pointless.

What matters is the 2 hopefully 4 playoff games and that means backing the players and the manager through them, and leave the recriminations or the backslapping till it's all over.

It will define whether the players have the mettle, bottle, desire, skill, will to win to get us promotion and whether they have a future at the club or not.

Get promoted? then some of the squad have a future.

Don't get promoted? then clear the decks because they will have shown they don't have it.

If that does not motivate the players nothing will.

With all respect Nesbitt gets a two year ticket nearly a month ago,  what message does that send to the squad ?

Guest Caractacus Potts
11 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

It's almost like all the teams mentioned who've been in L1 over that period have regressed and yet you can't see that we have as well, making McGlynns job harder 🤷‍♂️

As highlighted in the replies there are literally too many intangibles as to why statistically their records are comparable but the seasons and outcomes have been vastly different. 

Perhaps a factor was that then we were seen as a massive scalp and teams setup differently whereas now that notion has gone the games in the league become closer. Who knows!

However, it's become an odd hill to die on.

Not sure I’m understanding your point. Teams set up defensively against us under M&M making it easy to beat and now teams have a go against us making it harder for us to win? Are you saying we’ve regressed under McGlynn? 

I was just trying to make a reasonable point to illustrate the leagues not being that much different. Not sure what you’re trying to throw in the mix. 

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

With all respect Nesbitt gets a two year ticket nearly a month ago,  what message does that send to the squad ?

2nd for assists in L1. His contribution to the team prior to Max arriving was what warranted a new deal. He's just looked  jaded compared to Max recently.

Other clubs would've been keen on him with that record and so makes him a useful squad player.

53 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

This year ?, no chance with the shit they have uncovered and trying to sort out I would say prudent wheeling and dealing but for the first time in about 3 seasons we haven't had to pay off a playing squad that wasn't fit for purpose.

I would say maybe second possibly 3rd with the squad that Kelty has though as no way Tidser, Austin, Cardle, Low and Hggy are on peanuts

Hahahahaha Kelty paying more than you christ I've heard it all now.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

McGlynn hasn’t spent a fortune because we didn’t have a fortune to give him to spend.

Guest Caractacus Potts
15 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

McGlynn hasn’t spent a fortune because we didn’t have a fortune to give him to spend.

He got the same budget as last season plus an extra £150k. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

2nd for assists in L1. His contribution to the team prior to Max arriving was what warranted a new deal. He's just looked  jaded compared to Max recently.

Other clubs would've been keen on him with that record and so makes him a useful squad player.

Not keen enough apparently, I've said before I fully expected to see the last of Nesbitt after this season, over two years he hasn't warranted another contract imo improvement or not. The p***k downed tools in his first year with the rest of the gang, and he absolutely goes missing when it suits him. If we do go up to the championship I think he will struggle albeit probably not the only one. McGlynn deemed him worthy of a new contract it just gives you the fear a bit about who else he's going to throw a new deal at next if Nesbitt is the yardstick. 

I don't have an issue with McGlynn extending any of the players deals that we signed last summer but I doubt any of the rest that are out of contract will be kept on for next season.

Given who dealt with their initial contracts I'd imagine them leaving will free up a fair chunk of wages in the summer. 

We know it's going to be a 4-2-3-1 again next season and on that basis I'd be hoping for us to bring in improvements on the starting line up in the below positions. Taking into account Burrell most likely will be gone.

New
New Donaldson New Mccann
McGinn Henderson
Morrison New New
New

New gk
Mckay
Mackie
Yeats
Oliver
Allan
Nesbitt
Lawal
New winger
New striker
New centre mid

7 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Discussing 20/21. The 18 games M&M had where their record was better than McGlynns first 18.

As for 19/20 then I agree the frailties in their management ability did start to show. Still, they massively improved results and their record in those 15 games was better than when we had strikers such as Taylor, Farid or Duffy. Had they been in place from the start and managed the same average then we would have coasted that league. 

With that said I still didn’t want their contract extended because I didn’t have faith in them for the following season. Much like where I am at with McGlynn at the moment. 

I wasn’t, I am telling you that M&M benefited from having McManus in the side. They couldn’t even get past Raith with his scoring 20 odd goals. Put McManus in this side or any other decent striker we would be way better. Burrell, Morrison, Allen, Wright and Oliver not a patch on him. 

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I don't have an issue with McGlynn extending any of the players deals that we signed last summer but I doubt any of the rest that are out of contract will be kept on for next season.

Given who dealt with their initial contracts I'd imagine them leaving will free up a fair chunk of wages in the summer. 

We know it's going to be a 4-2-3-1 again next season and on that basis I'd be hoping for us to bring in improvements on the starting line up in the below positions. Taking into account Burrell most likely will be gone.

New
New Donaldson New Mccann
McGinn Henderson
Morrison New New
New

New gk
Mckay
Mackie
Yeats
Oliver
Allan
Nesbitt
Lawal
New winger
New striker
New centre mid

McCann, Morrison and Donaldson ain’t  up to top Championship standard either. 

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

That MCGlynn rates him and sees him as part of future plans. What else would it show? 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I wasn’t, I am telling you that M&M benefited from having McManus in the side. They couldn’t even get past Raith with his scoring 20 odd goals. Put McManus in this side or any other decent striker we would be way better. Burrell, Morrison, Allen, Wright and Oliver not a patch on him. 

Put our best players from past seasons in teams and managers have a better chance of winning. Very insightful!

As it was, M&M actually got more out of McManus than anyone previous. If it wasn’t for his change in form under those 2 then you wouldn’t even be mentioning him.

Prior to M&M, he scored 5 in 13 with 3 of those coming against Dumbarton. Under M&M he scored 12 in 13. You even noted the improvement of McManus and a couple of others when M&M took over.

On 15/12/2019 at 10:42, Back Post Misses said:

I was encouraged yesterday at the performance. If they can get 4/5 in January and have the likes of Longridge, McManus and Gomis keep playing like that regularly I have hope.

Just seems odd using McManus as a stick to hit M&M considering they got the best out of him and the one game he did miss was the one loss they suffered to Clyde.

They had plenty of failings but getting the best out of McManus wasn’t one of them. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Put our best players from past seasons in teams and managers have a better chance of winning. Very insightful!

As it was, M&M actually got more out of McManus than anyone previous. If it wasn’t for his change in form under those 2 then you wouldn’t even be mentioning him.

Prior to M&M, he scored 5 in 13 with 3 of those coming against Dumbarton. Under M&M he scored 12 in 13. You even noted the improvement of McManus and a couple of others when M&M took over.

Just seems odd using McManus as a stick to hit M&M considering they got the best out of him and the one game he did miss was the one loss they suffered to Clyde.

They had plenty of failings but getting the best out of McManus wasn’t one of them. 

One of the very few things il give you on the topic of M&M is the McManus point. They absolutely got him firing. Beforehand he wasn't starting every game, or was shunted out wide by McKinnon, wasn't really performing and cut a pretty dejected figure on the pitch most weeks. Looked like he didn't want to be there.