The Falkirk FC Thread

36 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Form means little going into playoffs, thankfully. Queen’s Park last year a good marker. I think we’re unbelievably soft but we may have happened upon a usable formation today that will cause problems to teams.

If that is the case - and I must admit I share some of that suspicion - form, formation, tactics, team selection won't matter a jot. We'll be going nowhere. We are now well into April and I genuinely still don't know what to make of us. On the one hand, I think McGlynn has built a squad of very decent players - there's no-one I look at and think "complete numpty", although Wright may fast be approaching that status. On the other, I still wonder about a soft underbelly, typified by the first half today when we went from total control and a thoroughly merited 2-goal lead after 30 minutes to complete panic stations 10/15 minutes later (and Todd should really have buried that chance to send them in 3-2 up at the break)

Right now, someone could tell me that we'll (a) be kicking off in the Championship come August or (b) collapse like a house of cards in the play-offs and be flailing around with the Airdries of this world for a fifth consecutive season, and I'd find both scenarios completely believable. This could still turn out to be a very good season. Or a pretty crap one. It's not boring at least.

7 minutes ago, AGPar said:

If that is the case - and I must admit I share some of that suspicion - form, formation, tactics, team selection won't matter a jot. We'll be going nowhere. We are now well into April and I genuinely still don't know what to make of us. On the one hand, I think McGlynn has built a squad of very decent players - there's no-one I look at and think "complete numpty", although Wright may fast be approaching that status. On the other, I still wonder about a soft underbelly, typified by the first half today when we went from total control and a thoroughly merited 2-goal lead after 30 minutes to complete panic stations 10/15 minutes later (and Todd should really have buried that chance to send them in 3-2 up at the break)

Right now, someone could tell me that we'll (a) be kicking off in the Championship come August or (b) collapse like a house of cards in the play-offs and be flailing around with the Airdries of this world for a fifth consecutive season, and I'd find both scenarios completely believable. This could still turn out to be a very good season. Or a pretty crap one. It's not boring at least.

This is the biggest issue with the team, we can play nice stuff and we usually have to, 30+ passes plus to score a goal.

When we don't have the ball though, any opponent that can manage more than 3 can cut us open and have the ball in the back of the net before any of the players seem to realise what's going on.

Could easily get battered by an Airdrie team scoring for fun at the minute if we let them have more than 10% possession. 

12 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

This is the biggest issue with the team, we can play nice stuff and we usually have to, 30+ passes plus to score a goal.

When we don't have the ball though, any opponent that can manage more than 3 can cut us open and have the ball in the back of the net before any of the players seem to realise what's going on.

Could easily get battered by an Airdrie team scoring for fun at the minute if we let them have more than 10% possession. 

Could easily batter Airdrie if their arse crashes as usual.

12 hours ago, Kircer bairn said:

The only two I’d take from their team is the number 3 & number 14  as the rest are essentially journeymen 

Mornin lads, I love it in here, it's like the Twilight zone where up is down, left is right and Nesbit is better than Todd.

I guess being a League One team forever is cool too. 

Season 3 Rod Sterling GIF by Paramount+

7 hours ago, AGPar said:

Todd was flagged offside 

7 hours ago, AGPar said:

Good post, thought we had really turned the corner when we went on our good run. Last couple months we’ve witnessed a good couple of cup wins, and some league performances consistent with the abhorrent shite from season's gone by.

Watched the highlights and still trying to work out how the hell we couldn’t keep it tight for the last ten/fifteen or so minutes till the break after a really good opening thirty. Our defending at the two goals was schoolboy stuff,  positional awareness poor, closing space poor, goalkeeping poor.

We are not vocal enough as a team, and missing a proper captain, someone like Yogi who would often go right up against players and let them know in no uncertain terms if they’ve done wrong or completely fcked it up. 
I haven’t a clue how this season will pan out, in the important league games against the top teams we’ve generally Hibs it. In the cup games we’ve looked strong. 
Mentioned in an earlier post that we need at least five in. The worry is that without going up, I would suspect we’d be operating with most of what is there.

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy
9 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Not rude at all pal. He’s an Airdrie fan so he’s a bigot.

That makes you a bigot.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Good post, thought we had really turned the corner when we went on our good run. Last couple months we’ve witnessed a good couple of cup wins, and some league performances consistent with the abhorrent shite from season's gone by.

Watched the highlights and still trying to work out how the hell we couldn’t keep it tight for the last ten/fifteen or so minutes till the break after a really good opening thirty. Our defending at the two goals was schoolboy stuff,  positional awareness poor, closing space poor, goalkeeping poor.

We are not vocal enough as a team, and missing a proper captain, someone like Yogi who would often go right up against players and let them know in no uncertain terms if they’ve done wrong or completely fcked it up. 
I haven’t a clue how this season will pan out, in the important league games against the top teams we’ve generally Hibs it. In the cup games we’ve looked strong. 
Mentioned in an earlier post that we need at least five in. The worry is that without going up, I would suspect we’d be operating with most of what is there.

The players lost focus and the 2 goal lead was on their mind instead of the game.

Brian Clough installed in his team focus and don't get distracted. Celebrations were short with minimal theatrics often shaking of hands and backslaps from teammates and an acknowledgment to the fans. Then back in positions, getting set and that's why Derby and Forest hardly ever lost a goal after they just scored one, often they got a second soon after the first due to this.

Any thoughts on less theatrics meaning more points being an acceptable compromise the fans would accept?

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Of course we will bring in players, plenty will be out the door come the end of the season no matter what league we are in. Also don’t agree with the lack of vocals in the team. Donaldson is extremely vocal as is McGinn. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

12 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Of course we will bring in players, plenty will be put the door come the end of the season no matter what league we are in. Also don’t agree with the lack of vocals in the team. Donaldson is extremely vocal as is McGinn. 

Not sure where the money will be coming from to bring in players given the current position as far as I understand it is a £400k budget cut.

Yes, the semi final money will help but I would be surprised if the board want to spend much of that on wage costs given their stance so far that FSS/Falkirk Forever needs to fund the first team.

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Not sure where the money will be coming from to bring in players given the current position as far as I understand it is a £400k budget cut.

Yes, the semi final money will help but I would be surprised if the board want to spend much of that on wage costs given their stance so far that FSS/Falkirk Forever needs to fund the first team.

Here you go again. As far as you understand from where?

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy
15 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Given you are a grown man that hangs about with teenage boys and owns an Ultra’s flag I’ll not take any offence at all at your comments.

🤣🤣🤣

13 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Where have you heard this? The the 400k deficit from this years accounts was reported as being filled way before we knocked Darvel out the cup so presumably should it be a worst case scenario and we are in this division next season the cash raised from the Scottish cup run this year should see us through next year. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Just now, LatapyBairn. said:

Where have you heard this? The money the 400k deficit from this season accounts was reported as being filled way before we knocked Darvel out the cup so presumably should it be a worst case scenario and we are in this division next season the cash raised from the Scottish cup run this year should see us through next season. 

His narrative never changes.