The Falkirk FC Thread

20 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Not really, trying to understand that the BOD wouldn’t like us to repeat the mistakes from previous regimes, ie who signed off the utter waste of money for Griffiths etc. and the potential signing of DGW ?

Players are identified by scouts and managers and signed by the manager. The Board gives the manager a budget which he has to work to. If he signs duds or they don’t respond to his coaching he is fired. 
The theory of getting Holt in was to allow the coach to focus on coaching and he and the manager would work together to identify players required. IMO that allows both the DOF and manager a way out if it goes wrong. 
I like the simple method. Give the manager a budget, let him get on with it and if it goes wrong everyone knows who is responsible. The Board are responsible for hiring the manager. If they keep having to fire them then clearly it is the Board who are making and arse of recruiting the right guy and should then be in the firing line. 

43 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

Wrong.

Possibly Gordon Wright, but he is there for his accountancy skills, and wouldn’t have had a voice in the signing of Holt.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

The theory of getting Holt in was to allow the coach to focus on coaching and he and the manager would work together to identify players required. 

TBH I always got the impression that bringing in a DOF was a reaction to Hartleys disastrous summer of recruitment. The BOD at the time got stick for allowing it to happen and it wasn't long after that Margaret Lang started making public statements about bringing football knowledge to the BOD, which eventually resulted in Holt  arriving after Jefferies knocked them back. 

56 minutes ago, Roboccop said:

There’s a post on Reddit saying Lawal has just signed for a Canadian team? Is this true? Or late April fools? 

36 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Wouldn’t surprise me as he’s clearly not going to get a game anytime soon ahead of Nesbitt.

A case of mistaken identity on the Reddit posters part I suspect. His local team have just signed a player from Ola's former club, Chippenham Town.

https://www.electriccityfc.com/news/ecfc-signs-shaw-and-igbinobaro

I suppose you never really can be sure tho...

4 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

A case of mistaken identity on the Reddit posters part I suspect. His local team have just signed a player from Ola's former club, Chippenham Town.

https://www.electriccityfc.com/news/ecfc-signs-shaw-and-igbinobaro

I suppose you never really can be sure tho...

Yes I emailed him and he’s got it wrong. 

Stand down and as you were. Apols. 

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Are you lot seriously trying to suggest your Board of Directors do not have final say on employment decisions and in particular remuneration and contract length aspects?

Wow. Just wow. 🙈

Is reading a weak point of yours? That hasn’t been suggested. What has been is footballing matters (who to sign, what they are worth, etc.) are not the responsibility of the board. Meddling in these matters causes huge fallouts at many clubs. Not exactly groundbreaking. 

11 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

No on so many levels. By all means say no if it blows a financial budget but to interfere as you suggest is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Rovers would be in a better position this season if the board had intervened with some of your current management teams transfer dealings tbh. 

I'd be wary of giving too much autonomy to Mcglynn and Smith on that front.

Edited by CALDERON

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Rovers would be in a better position this season if the board had intervened with some of your current management teams transfer dealings tbh. 

I'd be wary of giving too much autonomy to Mcglynn and Smith on that front.

How much is too much? What is it about that board who showed enormous contempt towards you as fans during the DGW saga that makes you want him to have more of a say on footballing matters?

25 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

No Pars fan on to preview? "game against THEM"? I thought we were all pals now? 

Don’t always have an away fan on each week and we’ve also had a Pars fan on every podcast up to now. 

I wasn’t on this weeks recording due to holidays but can understand why there wasn’t one invited by John. Why put ourselves through that? 😂

1 minute ago, RC55 FFC said:

Don’t always have an away fan on each week and we’ve also had a Pars fan on every podcast up to now. 

I wasn’t on this weeks recording due to holidays but can understand why there wasn’t one invited by John. Why put ourselves through that? 😂

To be fair it could have been a lot worse. FWIW, I think you guys might win next week although a 0-0 wouldn't be a huge shock.

I think centre midfield is the glaring issue. We need creativity there and don't have it. 

As others have alluded to I'm not sure I know what our style of play is. We are incredibly predictable but that isn't entirely a problem (so are Dunfermline) if you're good at it.

Can't be a long term solution to rely entirely on more cold than hot merchants like Morrison and Nesbitt to make the difference. 

Henderson isn't the answer I don't think other than for very specific games and our centre halves aren't comfortable enough on the ball.

I don't think we're far away from a decent side for this level or the one above. We just lack something. 

31 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

All that's required is for the club to make a definitive statement regarding the structure.

Unless a club has a DOF, I don’t think I’ve ever read a club statement that needed to be made to clarify who makes signings etc.