The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
25 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

No I don't think that one squad is miles ahead of the other but you asked me who I would pick from each squad. IMO the players I picked were best (at the time). I still think that McGlynn would have got more out of some of the players that M&M had available to them.

I also think that he let Telfer go because his deal was up, not because he didn't particularly want to keep him.

Yeh appreciate that so thanks for explaining. Think you have illustrated the point I was making to the others though that neither squad is much better. 

10 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

The argument was that M&M inherited a squad of better players down on their luck from which to select so form shouldn’t really count as able to suggest McKay wasn’t good at the start of McGlynns tenure forgetting that the squad of 2019 had been performing badly too. 

Also McGlynn, by all suggestions, didn’t offer Telfer a new contract so whether he’d be superior to any of the starting squad for this season is surely a moot point as they were available for McGlynn should he have wanted them?

For me the choice for best starting from the available squads are

Mutch/Morrison

McCann/Dixon

McKay/Durnan

Mackie/Buchanan

Yeats/Toshney

Hetherington/Gomis

McGinn/Miller

Nesbit/Connolly

Oliver/McManus

Morrison/Longridge 

McGuffie/Sammon

The resultant bench M&M would have to pick from would be stronger but if I’m picking the best players from that lot then McGlynn will have more featuring in the top 11 including Telfer whom McGlynn let go. 

There is certainly no clear way that one squad is better than the other though. 

The squad in 19 hadn't been performing that badly. In fact compared to the last two seasons it had been performing a million miles better. McKinnon got sacked with us only a few points off top spot so still well in the mix. At that stage though the board basically were still of a mind that we should be winning the league comfortably. If McKinnon had come in after either m and ms second season shitshow or the sheerin/ Rennie debacle he'd have rightly or wrongly certainly been given more time than he was in 2019.

Telfer was out of contract and at that stage only slightly less shit than some of the players we had to keep due to their contracts. I'm certainly not staying awake at night thinking feck if we'd only kept telfer things would be so much better that's for sure.

Would be good to shake things up at the weekend against Clyde after the last few league games. Wouldn't be surprised to see Allan start given he'll have the added motivation of it being his old team.

Kinnear
Rowe Donaldson Mckay Mccann
Henderson
Morrison Max Kennedy
Burrell Allan

14 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Would be good to shake things up at the weekend against Clyde after the last few league games. Wouldn't be surprised to see Allan start given he'll have the added motivation of it being his old team.

Kinnear
Henderson
Morrison Max Kennedy
Burrell Allan

Quite like that apart from Morrison and Kennedy. We tried that at Alloa and it didn’t work.

Id rather have Nesbitt in for Kennedy at the start.

Kinnear

Rowe Donaldson McKay Mccann

Hendo

Morrison                                 Kennedy

Nesbitt/Max

Burrell                       Allan

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

The squad in 19 hadn't been performing that badly. In fact compared to the last two seasons it had been performing a million miles better. McKinnon got sacked with us only a few points off top spot so still well in the mix. At that stage though the board basically were still of a mind that we should be winning the league comfortably. If McKinnon had come in after either m and ms second season shitshow or the sheerin/ Rennie debacle he'd have rightly or wrongly certainly been given more time than he was in 2019.

Telfer was out of contract and at that stage only slightly less shit than some of the players we had to keep due to their contracts. I'm certainly not staying awake at night thinking feck if we'd only kept telfer things would be so much better that's for sure.

Again, McGlynn had 9 weeks to sort out the squad before the season started and there was a 10 week gap between the last game of the previous season. We also drew with Morton and beat Hibs so didn’t feel like a team down on their luck to perform well against teams in leagues above us.

I mentioned Telfer as one of the better players in M&M’s squad as he was available to McGlynn had he wanted him. That was to further illustrate the point that somehow M&M had a much better squad. 

I’m sure if I was to say early on in the season we’d be out of the title race by mid March then it wouldn’t be acceptable to most on here so why scurry around to deflect any criticism? McGlynn won’t be happy either and as fans surely we have to be wanting to know that things will improve for the run in to the playoffs?

Edited by Caractacus Potts

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Kinnear
Henderson
Morrison Max Kennedy
Burrell Allan

I'd go with that too but with Oliver instead of Allan. I've not seen enough of Allan to really offer an opinion as to what his strengths are but I just feel that Oliver would link better with Burrell.

7 hours ago, par-adise said:

Interested to learn that Rodri and John McGlynn went on the same media training course. 

That’s because they both had to do the “Learn to Speak in English” module.