The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

The league was easier in our first season down.

Dunfermline have been exceptional this season.  You take our points total over to 19/20 and we'd have been  a point ahead at the top with 8 games to go.

Guest Caractacus Potts
15 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

You should have stopped after the first line. 

Answer my question then in one line

This is the first season I can say I’ve actually enjoyed watching us probably since Peter Houston was in charge, not really interested in tit for tat nonsense or folk trying to fling out specific stats just to suit a narrative. I have eyes and in general I am watching a far better coached team playing a more attractive brand of football than I have done for a good few years, on top of that our strike rate with regard to new signings is way way better with less money being wasted on dross. Dunfermline unfortunately have just been particularly good and more importantly far more consistent than us but if we can regain the run of form we’ve just came off I put us as favourites to go through the playoffs, that in itself from where we were both on and off the field come the end of last season is a huge turnaround that surely deserves recognition! Particularly as we could well end up both in a Scottish cup final and the manager gaining promotion at the first time of asking. If you scroll back to the beginning of the season on here hardly any fan was giving us a chance of winning the division anyway, it’s worth noting that some on here now seem to all of a sudden have come to almost expect it, that in itself shows Mcglynn has at the very least raised the bar and expectation level which is no bad thing. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

28 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

This is the first season I can say I’ve actually enjoyed watching us probably since Peter Houston was in charge, not really interested in tit for tat nonsense or folk trying to fling out specific stats just to suit a narrative. I have eyes and in general I am watching a far better coached team playing a more attractive brand of football than I have done for a good few years, on top of that our strike rate with regard to new signings is way way better with less money being wasted on dross. Dunfermline unfortunately have just been particularly good and more importantly far more consistent than us but if we can regain the run of form we’ve just came off I put us as favourites to go through the playoffs, that in itself from where we were both on and off the field come the end of last season is a huge turnaround that surely deserves recognition! Particularly as we could well end up both in a Scottish cup final and the manager gaining promotion at the first time of asking. If you scroll back to the beginning of the season on here hardly any fan was giving us a chance of winning the division anyway, it’s worth noting that some on here now seem to all of a sudden have come to almost expect it, that in itself shows Mcglynn has at the very least raised the bar and expectation level which is no bad thing. 

This!

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

McGlynn ofcourse. I’ve not suggested otherwise.

Where I differ is from the narrative that he’s proving to be miles better from previous incumbents. Miles better than last year but as Pedro pointed out that wasn’t hard, considering we had possibly our 2 worst managers in history presiding over us. What I’ve been stating is that it hasn’t been miles better than M&M. That’s where I’m concerned as we can’t afford to stay in this league any longer and yet again frailties are starting to show. 

Can I ask you a question, would you rather have the squad for McGlynns first game or M&Ms? 

If I'm allowed a mixture, I'd have more of M&Ms squad than McGlynn's TBH. I also think McGlynn would have got more out of them.

56 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Answer my question then in one line

I’ve already made made my view known, incase you missed it, it couldn’t give a shit about who has more points after x amount of games.

I’m only interested in now, we are sitting 2nd in the league and in a Scottish Cup semi final, that’s what matters.

Everything else about who had the best squad and points ratio per game IMO is boring.

2 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

At least for the first time in a while the league will get easier next season if we don't manage to get through the playoffs, Every year we've swapped a poorer team for a bigger team, none of the money strapped Kelty's, Cove or QP replacing a team like Dumbarton, East Fife, Stranraer

Hate this “wait for next season, the makeup of the league will be more favourable” chat that is noticeably creeping back in. Loath it. Detest it. Had it for years in the championship when Hearts/Hibs/Rangers were in it, although it was a valid argument at that time, albeit our best league campaign in an age came with two of these three in it. Then we had to wait until Ross County and McGregors millions had cleared off. Then it was Dundee Utd. We were even being told last season that we could not really expect to compete on an even footing with Cove and QP. It’s ridiculous, reflective of the Zero Expectations, Zero Aspirations culture now endemic in much of the fanbase 

We are in League One, if the primary goal was not to win the title we should just have forgotten the whole thing. Complete waste of time, money, effort. 

2 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

You must be off your nut if you think taking over a team mid season is comparable to having a new season and 9 weeks to prepare before your first competitive match. These are the 2 squads from M&M and McGlynn’s first competitive match. You can’t surely tell me M&M’s squad is much better!? Apart from Hetherington, the players in McGlynn’s team that he inherited continue to get a regular game. He could also probably have kept one of the better players from M&M’s team- Telfer- had he wanted. 

083B70E7-993E-446A-9060-E206A0D5A636.jpeg

5142CB1F-B72C-44FF-AEF7-AA94AB33D251.jpeg

That was McKinnon's last match not M&M First 

2 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Hate this “wait for next season, the makeup of the league will be more favourable” chat that is noticeably creeping back in. Loath it. Detest it. Had it for years in the championship when Hearts/Hibs/Rangers were in it, although it was a valid argument at that time, albeit our best league campaign in an age came with two of these three in it. Then we had to wait until Ross County and McGregors millions had cleared off. Then it was Dundee Utd. We were even being told last season that we could not really expect to compete on an even footing with Cove and QP. It’s ridiculous, reflective of the Zero Expectations, Zero Aspirations culture now endemic in much of the fanbase 

We are in League One, if the primary goal was not to win the title we should just have forgotten the whole thing. Complete waste of time, money, effort. 

Primary goal of course is to win the title but I'd say it being the only goal that marks the season as a pass would be a bit of an over reaction given our starting point.  We were 35 points behind cove last season. To turn that around in one season was asking a lot and but for a very good Dunfermline side we'd have very probably managed it. 

9 minutes ago, AGPar said:

I merely pointed out that *IF* we were to stay down it would be the first time since we've been here that a shit side has been replaced by a side with money behind them. No need for the aggro.

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’m actually trying to contest a particular narrative, not create one. The narrative is that McGlynn has been our best manager in ages. Not trying to wreck your enjoyment of the football. I’m trying to show objective stats so please don’t try to paint it as forming a narrative as I’ve been consistently critical of all our last incumbents. 

Added to say, not that I’m suggesting in any way I’m not behind McGlynn but I am a disappointed we’re out of the title race this early and don’t buy a lot of the excuses being served. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

That was McKinnon's last match not M&M First 

True but does it make much of a difference to the next match after? Would you rather have M&M’s first squad or McGlynns? 

2AE13222-3D66-44C4-A7D1-BD3E2D0DDFAA.jpeg

2 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

True but does it make much of a difference to the next match after? Would you rather have M&M’s first squad or McGlynns? 

2AE13222-3D66-44C4-A7D1-BD3E2D0DDFAA.jpeg

I'll say it again since you didn't respond to my last post - M&Ms.

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'll say it again since you didn't respond to my last post - M&Ms.

Sorry missed that. It was a binary question though as the assertion was that M&M had a better squad to compete with than McGlynn. Which would you rather have, McGlynns team or M&M’s? 

16 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Sorry missed that. It was a binary question though as the assertion was that M&M had a better squad to compete with than McGlynn. Which would you rather have, McGlynns team or M&M’s? 

M&Ms. Plenty of players in that squad that I'd take over the squad McGlynn inherited.

Guest Caractacus Potts
Just now, ShaggerG said:

M&Ms. Plenty of players in that squad that I'd take over the squad McGlynn inherited.

Ok then, name your best 11 from the 2 squads they had to select from for their first matches in charge. 

9 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

You must be off your nut if you think taking over a team mid season is comparable to having a new season and 9 weeks to prepare before your first competitive match. These are the 2 squads from M&M and McGlynn’s first competitive match. You can’t surely tell me M&M’s squad is much better!? Apart from Hetherington, the players in McGlynn’s team that he inherited continue to get a regular game. He could also probably have kept one of the better players from M&M’s team- Telfer- had he wanted. 

083B70E7-993E-446A-9060-E206A0D5A636.jpeg

5142CB1F-B72C-44FF-AEF7-AA94AB33D251.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Ok then, name your best 11 from the 2 squads they had to select from for their first matches in charge. 

Morrison/Mutch - little between them IMO.

Doyle - I'd have him over Yeats who's not really a FB or Gary Miller. McKay (who was pish at the time)/Buchanan/Durnan - again nothing between them, Henderson, Dixon (who was decent at the time) over Mackie.

McGinn, Gomis (better than Hetherington for me)

Morrison, Telfer (who I'd have kept before Nesbitt), Connolly (better than McGuffie IMO)

McManus

Toshney was also very good for us when he wasn't injured and I was always of the opinion that Longridge would be a good option from the bench.

16 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Doyle - I'd have him over Yeats who's not really a FB or Gary Miller. McKay (who was pish at the time)/Buchanan/Durnan - again nothing between them, Henderson, Dixon (who was decent at the time) over Mackie.

Morrison, Telfer (who I'd have kept before Nesbitt), Connolly (better than McGuffie IMO)

McManus

Toshney was also very good for us when he wasn't injured and I was always of the opinion that Longridge would be a good option from the bench.

Edited to say therefore that there's only 3 of McGlynn's starting squad, Henderson, McGinn and Morrison, that I definitely have in front of the M&M squad.

Guest Caractacus Potts
21 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

McManus

The argument was that M&M inherited a squad of better players down on their luck from which to select so form shouldn’t really count as able to suggest McKay wasn’t good at the start of McGlynns tenure forgetting that the squad of 2019 had been performing badly too. 

Also McGlynn, by all suggestions, didn’t offer Telfer a new contract so whether he’d be superior to any of the starting squad for this season is surely a moot point as they were available for McGlynn should he have wanted them?

For me the choice for best starting from the available squads are

Mutch/Morrison

McCann/Dixon

McKay/Durnan

Mackie/Buchanan

Yeats/Toshney

Hetherington/Gomis

McGinn/Miller

Nesbit/Connolly

Oliver/McManus

Morrison/Longridge 

McGuffie/Sammon

The resultant bench M&M would have to pick from would be stronger but if I’m picking the best players from that lot then McGlynn will have more featuring in the top 11 including Telfer whom McGlynn let go. 

There is certainly no clear way that one squad is better than the other though. 

22 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

The argument was that M&M inherited a squad of better players down on their luck from which to select so form shouldn’t really count as able to suggest McKay wasn’t good at the start of McGlynns tenure forgetting that the squad of 2019 had been performing badly too. 

Also McGlynn, by all suggestions, didn’t offer Telfer a new contract so whether he’d be superior to any of the starting squad for this season is surely a moot point as they were available for McGlynn should he have wanted them?

For me the choice for best starting from the available squads are

Mutch/Morrison

McCann/Dixon

McKay/Durnan

Mackie/Buchanan

Yeats/Toshney

Hetherington/Gomis

McGinn/Miller

Nesbit/Connolly

Oliver/McManus

Morrison/Longridge 

McGuffie/Sammon

The resultant bench M&M would have to pick from would be stronger but if I’m picking the best players from that lot then McGlynn will have more featuring in the top 11 including Telfer whom McGlynn let go. 

There is certainly no clear way that one squad is better than the other though. 

No I don't think that one squad is miles ahead of the other but you asked me who I would pick from each squad. IMO the players I picked were best (at the time). I still think that McGlynn would have got more out of some of the players that M&M had available to them.

I also think that he let Telfer go because his deal was up, not because he didn't particularly want to keep him.