The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I knew I recognised him from somewhere!! He was hardly ever booked as a player with us and was a gentleman when I spoke to him a few years back while he was coaching kids.

Suspect he'll be given a lengthy ban and a fine for that.

51 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

For the statto's out there, in the 5 games we have played in March we haven't scored 1 goal in the first half of any of those games. All 7 goals have come in the second half (5 against Peterhead and 2 against Ayr). 3 games we didn't score at all (Pars, QoS and Kelty). We've won 2, lost 2 and drawn 1. Three of those 5 games were at home, and 3 games were against teams in the bottom half of the league. Our form will need to take a significant uptick if we are to get through the play offs, we'll certainly need to get out the blocks quicker in games.

Hopefully just a form blip or is it the curse of manager of the month!?

Since the Dunfermline game we've really  struggled. That defeat seems to have knocked the stuffing out of us and we haven't got going again. The Ayr game being the exception but even then it was a penalty and deflection that got us goals.  Need to get things going again hopefully starting Saturday.

17 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Since the Dunfermline game we've really  struggled. That defeat seems to have knocked the stuffing out of us and we haven't got going again. The Ayr game being the exception but even then it was a penalty and deflection that got us goals.  Need to get things going again hopefully starting Saturday.

Penalty and deflection, but come on. We totally dominated a team from the league above for all but the 1st 25 minutes.

8 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

No there isn’t as you refuse to look at the circumstances when they took over. M&M inherited a decent squad McGlynn inherited the worst squad and set of circumstances for 40 years plus at the club. On top of that he has a league where 40% of it is FT against M&M being the only FT team that season. One factor where I felt for M&M was the way the club was being run then didn’t help them and the hiring of Holt in January undermined them completely.  

M&M inherited a decent squad?  It's amazing how'll you just make up anything to suit your argument.  Have a look at their first game v Linlithgow and you'll see some shockers in there - Gary Miller, Denny Johnstone, Connor Sammon, Ian McShane.  Need I go on?

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Penalty and deflection, but come on. We totally dominated a team from the league above for all but the 1st 25 minutes.

Aye but since the pars game we've struggled to get goals for some reason including that game where we played well. That puts pressure on the rest of the side.

1 hour ago, RC_Bairn said:

M&M inherited a decent squad?  It's amazing how'll you just make up anything to suit your argument.  Have a look at their first game v Linlithgow and you'll see some shockers in there - Gary Miller, Denny Johnstone, Connor Sammon, Ian McShane.  Need I go on?

We had a decent side when you compare it to the dross of the last couple of years. When McKinnon got emptied we were only a few points off top and had only lost a few games. Compare that to taking over a side that's just lost 16 games in one season in the third division and it's night and day.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Amazing what a player like Declan McManus can do for you in this league.

They had Declan McManus who was undoubtedly our most valuable player. McGlynn inherited Callum Morrison who is arguably our most valuable player this season. Take his goals and assists out the team then where would we be?

3 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

They had Declan McManus who was undoubtedly our most valuable player. McGlynn inherited Callum Morrison who is arguably our most valuable player this season. Take his goals and assists out the team then where would we be?

If we had mcmanus instead of morrison we would be a lot closer to dunfermline than we are

4 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

If we had mcmanus instead of morrison we would be a lot closer to dunfermline than we are

Definitely. 26 goals that season and there was still 8 games left to play.  We don't have anyone near as prolific.

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

With McManus this year we'd have been pushing Dunfermline all the way. Having a striker that basically guarantees you 20 goals at this level makes a massive difference. As soon as he moved on m and ms managerial ineptitude was there for all to see.  The covid break in that second season papered over the cracks as after the restart we scraped a few results before other clubs really got going again. Before the break things were beginning to go wrong rapidly.  Mcglynn came in when we were close to rock bottom.  During the summer a lot of us on here would've snapped your hand off for second place and the playoffs considering the mess we were in but now it would appear that isn't good enough.  Still a decent chance in the playoffs and a cup semi final to look forward to. I'm sure mcglynn will be already putting plans in place for next season when expectations will certainly be a lot higher whatever league we are in.

I don’t disagree but not having a striker to push Dunfermline is surely up to McGlynn too. It’s not like Dunfermline have a 20 goal player either and our most prolific striker and the one we spent money on continue to sit on the bench most weeks.

Also in the 18 games they were in charge of for the second season(without McManus), with the addition of Patrick and Cove, M&M had better stats than McGlynns first 18 games of this season. 

This night and day thing doesn’t wash for me. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

5 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I don’t disagree but not having a striker to push Dunfermline is surely up to McGlynn too. It’s not like Dunfermline have a 20 goal player either and our most prolific striker and the one we spent money on continue to sit on the bench most weeks.

Also in the 18 games they were in charge of for the second season(without McManus), with the addition of Patrick and Cove, M&M had better stats than McGlynns first 18 games of this season. 

This night and day thing doesn’t wash for me. 

You don't get strikers like McManus very easily unfortunately. Not many are interested in playing in league one for a start.  As I already said m and m picked up a team that was doing okay and really continued to do okay.  Drawing away to Stranraer a team that only won 2 games all season cost us as did turning up for a draw in Kirkcaldy.  If you can't see the difference between taking over a side that's doing ok and only a few points off the top of the league and taking over a side that's just lost 16 games in a season and finished 6th 35 points behind the champions then you must be off your nut.

Guest Caractacus Potts
33 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

You don't get strikers like McManus very easily unfortunately. Not many are interested in playing in league one for a start.  As I already said m and m picked up a team that was doing okay and really continued to do okay.  Drawing away to Stranraer a team that only won 2 games all season cost us as did turning up for a draw in Kirkcaldy.  If you can't see the difference between taking over a side that's doing ok and only a few points off the top of the league and taking over a side that's just lost 16 games in a season and finished 6th 35 points behind the champions then you must be off your nut.

You must be off your nut if you think taking over a team mid season is comparable to having a new season and 9 weeks to prepare before your first competitive match. These are the 2 squads from M&M and McGlynn’s first competitive match. You can’t surely tell me M&M’s squad is much better!? Apart from Hetherington, the players in McGlynn’s team that he inherited continue to get a regular game. He could also probably have kept one of the better players from M&M’s team- Telfer- had he wanted. 

083B70E7-993E-446A-9060-E206A0D5A636.jpeg

5142CB1F-B72C-44FF-AEF7-AA94AB33D251.jpeg

3 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I knew I recognised him from somewhere!! He was hardly ever booked as a player with us and was a gentleman when I spoke to him a few years back while he was coaching kids.

Suspect he'll be given a lengthy ban and a fine for that.

If not sacked by the club. If he's found guilty how can he have credibility with the players under his management regarding how they conduct themselves on the pitch regarding sportsmanship and respect for fellow players and officials.

30 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

You must be off your nut if you think taking over a team mid season is comparable to having a new season and 9 weeks to prepare before your first competitive match. These are the 2 squads from M&M and McGlynn’s first competitive match. You can’t surely tell me M&M’s squad is much better!? Apart from Hetherington, the players in McGlynn’s team that he inherited continue to get a regular game. He could also probably have kept one of the better players from M&M’s team- Telfer- had he wanted. 

One question, would you prefer to have M&M or McGlynn managing the team at the moment.

No waffle, bullshit or stats to cloudy things just a straight forward answer, one or the other

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

One question, would you prefer to have M&M or McGlynn managing the team at the moment.

No waffle, bullshit or stats to cloudy things just a straight forward answer, one or the other

McGlynn ofcourse. I’ve not suggested otherwise.

Where I differ is from the narrative that he’s proving to be miles better from previous incumbents. Miles better than last year but as Pedro pointed out that wasn’t hard, considering we had possibly our 2 worst managers in history presiding over us. What I’ve been stating is that it hasn’t been miles better than M&M. That’s where I’m concerned as we can’t afford to stay in this league any longer and yet again frailties are starting to show. 

Can I ask you a question, would you rather have the squad for McGlynns first game or M&Ms? 

22 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

McGlynn ofcourse. I’ve not suggested otherwise.

Where I differ is from the narrative that he’s proving to be miles better from previous incumbents. Miles better than last year but as Pedro pointed out that wasn’t hard, considering we had possibly our 2 worst managers in history presiding over us. What I’ve been stating is that it hasn’t been miles better than M&M. That’s where I’m concerned as we can’t afford to stay in this league any longer and yet again frailties are starting to show. 

Can I ask you a question, would you rather have the squad for McGlynns first game or M&Ms? 

You should have stopped after the first line. 

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

The league was easier in our first season down.

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

If circumstances were the same I'd agree with you but they couldn't be more different.  M and m didn't take over a complete shitshow. The side as mentioned was well in the mix and had already battered a few sides . The team was decent with McManus a striker that could win games on his own. The main opposition was a side where the manager was dealing with a budget that was dwarfed by ours but through some great recruitment was still able to compete.  A couple of decent signings in January and we probably would've got over the line but m and m brought in a pile of complete dross whilst mcglynn signed McClean from st Johnstone who scored a couple of important goals for them.  

That in no way can be compared to taking over a side who were 6th the season before where confidence was at an all time low. The budget was restricted straight away due to shit players being under contract and the main opposition had a budget on a par with our own.  

If you take the same situation with 8 games to go  then and now  we'd be a point ahead of Raith and would've won the league if it had stopped with covid.  I'm sure noone would have been complaining then.

Edited by Shodwall cat