The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
10 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

They haven’t run at a huge loss for years. Our underlying budget was about 400k/season but over the years selling players, cup runs, investment and soft loans covered any losses. eg in 2015 we made £1.3m. (Since we got relegated in 2010 and closing the Academy we brought in c£4m) We have also done well from summer concerts.
This season I can see us making a profit and a decent one if we beat ICT.  

So we’ve been running a similar playing budget each season?

Guest Caractacus Potts
16 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I have seen 3 or 4 point out correctly that the difference in the league that M&M took part in was not nearly as good as this (4 FT teams now). Pretty sure M&M were the only FT team with Raith and Airdire hybrids. Also the mess McGlynn inherited compared to the decent squad M&M took over means points comparison is less relevant. You seem only wanting to focus on points gained and take no circumstances into consideration. 

You seem to think extenuating circumstances only work one way. McGlynn inherited a worse squad but he had a full Summer to rebuild and although  M&M inherited McManus they also had to deal with losing him. 

Again, not saying M&M were better. McGlynn is a far better appointment and his recruitment has been good but tactically he seems just as bad. M&M also had us set up better defensively than McGlynn.  

There’s a lot of improvement still required but full time or not, we should be beating most teams in this league and at least laying a glove on Dunfermline. 

31 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

You seem to think extenuating circumstances only work one way. McGlynn inherited a worse squad but he had a full Summer to rebuild and although  M&M inherited McManus they also had to deal with losing him. 

Again, not saying M&M were better. McGlynn is a far better appointment and his recruitment has been good but tactically he seems just as bad. M&M also had us set up better defensively than McGlynn.  

There’s a lot of improvement still required but full time or not, we should be beating most teams in this league and at least laying a glove on Dunfermline. 

He had 14 players bloating a squad of which he has kept 5. Morrison, McGuffie, MCKay, McCann and Nesbitt. The rest he could do very little about due to the contracts they were on. I would probably wager last summer he would have not kept any more than 2 or those had he had the cash then to move them on. It is credit to the players and McGlynn that 3 are now regular starters. 
Not having tactically he is as bad - absolutely ridiculous statement. If they were that good why were other clubs not falling over themselves to take them - even in a coaching capacity? 

Edited by Back Post Misses

11 hours ago, Clangers said:

Genuinely interested, so Falkirk having run at a huge loss over many years (partially reduced by cup run and pars games this year) still will be as worse off next year! How are these losses being supported, as the additional support contributions aren’t filling this hole. Yes our rivalry is great but it’s only great when we are.

Genuinely interested translates as hopefully I'll be able to criticise how your club is being run once you answer.  This has been done to death on here in recent weeks so if your that interested you can trawl back a few pages. The main thing is we aren't going bust and won't end up shafting local businesses like some other clubs.

Guest Caractacus Potts
27 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

He had 14 players bloating a squad of which he has kept 5. Morrison, McGuffie, MCKay, McCann and Nesbitt. The rest he could do very little about due to the contracts they were on. I would probably wager last summer he would have not kept any more than 2 or those had he had the cash then to move them on. It is credit to the players and McGlynn that 3 are now regular starters. 
Not having tactically he is as bad - absolutely ridiculous statement. If they were that good why were other clubs not falling over themselves to take them - even in a coaching capacity? 

I never said they were that good but they certainly weren’t that bad either, particularly when their record stands up to McGlynns time in charge. 

What has their livelihood got to do with it too? Would have been much better coaches knocked back when M&M/Sheerin for the job and not like McGlynn had much better offers than us. 

19 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I never said they were that good but they certainly weren’t that bad either, particularly when their record stands up to McGlynns time in charge. 

What has their livelihood got to do with it too? Would have been much better coaches knocked back when M&M/Sheerin for the job and not like McGlynn had much better offers than us. 

Mcglynn had the option to stay at Raith Rovers, they are in the championship we are not. Most people would argue they were actually a better option than us at the time. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Mcglynn had the option to stay at Raith Rovers, they are in the championship we are not. Most people would argue they were actually a better option than us at the time. 

Having the option to stay in the same job to the club whom he got promoted on the back of a technicality is not the same as being offered a job though. Also after the Goodwillie debacle I don’t think coming to us was entirely due to career progression. In any case that’s not the point that’s being made.

The point is M&M had as good a record at Falkirk as McGlynn currently has. Being 11 points adrift is poor and sure McGlynn would accept that too. 

1 minute ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Having the option to stay in the same job to the club whom he got promoted on the back of a technicality is not the same as being offered a job though. Also after the Goodwillie debacle I don’t think coming to us was entirely due to career progression. In any case that’s not the point that’s being made.

The point is M&M had as good a record at Falkirk as McGlynn currently has. Being 11 points adrift is poor and sure McGlynn would accept that too. 

Agree with a lot of that but I was only responding to the point Mcglynn didn’t have better options/alternative option than ourselves, he probably did. Accepting the contract extension that was on the table from Raith would have been one of them. 

27 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Whilst it was reported in the press our chairman was attempting to persuade McGlynn to stay after the approach from Falkirk, it is also worth noting he had still not been offered a new contract by our last game of the season.

Our owner, John Sim, also said in an interview that after the approach from Falkirk, McGlynn joked with him that if he took the job, Sim wouldn’t need to sack him.

McGlynn did an excellent job for most of his time but from 18th December 2021 onwards it was a complete disaster. 3 wins in 19 league games despite having our biggest budget in about 25 years with a huge amount of money wasted on some disastrous signings.

Because of this, his budget was due to be cut significantly in a more competitive looking Championship this season. That added to the fallout from the Goodwillie debacle means a move to League One Falkirk at their lowest ebb, where it was almost impossible not to make an improvement on last season, with the biggest budget in the league would definitely be viewed as a much better option. I think it’s been the right move for all parties involved.

7 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Yep, Airdrie are the Sevco Mini-Me. In more ways than one.

image.jpeg.2b9c85f348d6cdadeda2bdea8bf689cb.jpegIf 

You better hope version 2.0 doesn’t hit too much form and come into the play offs like a train then. Would be plenty red and white saltires in the stands that day but you’ll be able to crop them out again 😜

0D65856D-F2AB-4EEF-BB0F-E5502C75A709.jpeg